Cancer Research UK Employee Reviews about "charity"

Updated 15 Jun 2020

4.0
Cancer Research UK CEO Michelle Mitchell (no image)
Michelle Mitchell
Pros
Cons
  • "Low rate compared to commercial due to being charity but still ok(in 34 reviews)

• "Don't for a second think CRUK is going to pay you a fair amount for the work you do(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "charity"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great"

Current Employee - Project Leader in Barcelona

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time

Pros

Flexible. Great people. Interesting projects with scientific credibility.

Cons

Little career progression. As it's a charity, long term career path is unknown

2. "Great place to work - very committed and really friendly"

Former Contractor - Project Lead in London, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK for less than a year

Pros

Enthusiasm and commitment to the cause

Cons

Low rate compared to commercial due to being charity but still ok

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great attitude to flexible working, all staff are lovely

Cons

Could get better pay if it weren’t a charity

4. "Great people doing great work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing Executive in Islington, England

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

True camaraderie as it's clear that we are all working together and that people genuinely believe that together we will beat cancer.

Cons

As to be expected for a charity that takes great care to keep costs down and justify every penny spent there's a lot of bureaucracy.

"Upper management need to listen"

Former Employee - Sunday Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK part-time

Pros

Lovely and hardworking and loyal team of volunteers

Cons

Demand to reach targets despite adverse weather and donations quality..Cancer research are all about making money and hitting targets..they don't care about staff.I was forced to work the day my mother had a stroke and was hit and miss if she survived that day..Also i was made redundant because min wage went up...Yes you read ir correctly.."Wasn't justified to keep staff because min wage went up"..Same job post ..Same shop re advertised the same job two years later...so Hmmmm..me thinks something more than meets the eye here...I worked for them for 3 years ...Also for a charity that makes around £300 million pounds a year ..mainly form donations via shops with little overheads..They really should treat their paid staff better . I lost family members to cancer and started as a volunteer ..more recently lost my husband in May 2019 to stomach cancer ..not once did this charity offer any help or support Would i work for them again...Certainly not Would I recommend ..No When the CEO is paid as much as we are per hour then maybe I would volunteer again.. UNTIL THEN I avoid this money grabbing self centred charity

Continue reading

"Bad for anyone wanting a serious career in digital marketing"

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time

Pros

Nice office flexi working good cause Cheap cafe onsite

Cons

-My role was made redundant within 8 days of me starting the job (I had been on a 3 month notice at previous place - so they had plenty of time to tell me that they were going through a huge re-org) -why was there no recruitment freeze in place? -I experienced 3 re-orgs whilst I was there (just under 2 years) with my job description /title changing 3 times in total across the 2 year span -I put up with this, because I so desperately wanted to work for this charity and make it work -But eventually, this all took it's toll big time. -One of the worst places I've ever worked. Badly organised, slow to change, hideous politics, money wasting, some really, really bad people managers - A shame - as what a passionate cause

Continue reading
  7. "Great place to work and colleagues"

Former Employee - Senior Business Operations Analyst in London, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic culture, employee engagement and management. A fun yet professional environment and lovely offices

Cons

I personally didn't find a role to progress into so left for another charity

"Technology - disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Technology in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is good - very flexible.

Cons

Working at CRUK was confusing and mentally tiring for so many reasons: - So much evidence of politics within the Tech department and often petty comments/actions made by some staff rather than just getting on with your job. - Favouritism is a problem where by favourites were promoted. Internal roles (i.e. for promotions) were not always advertised. Cliques formed as if in a high school. - There was always so much mention of equality and diversity yet mainly white women were in senior positions. Senior management was un-relatable and some difficult to approach. - Everything was slow paced. It took months to get through various stages of a project and in some cases processes seemed made up on the spot. - Job role was not standard or as advertised - it was lots of little roles mushed into one which was mentally draining. - Some managers were approachable with an open door policy but comments and concerns were not taken seriously until they were repeated so many times. Overall,I thought working for a charity would be meaningful but left feeling drained and frustrated that I couldn't just get on with my job. I wanted to try and push through but I couldn't foresee any changes and decided to pursue other opportunities.

9. "Tech for good"

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s amazing to be part of something where you really feel you are making a difference to the world. Everyone’s lives are touched by cancer, and CRUK is at the forefront, globally, of the work to beat it. Of course those that work with the research scientists feel closest to it, but even here in the Technology department, I feel I’m part of that mission. I also love how smart and passionate so many of my colleagues are. It’s a real privilege to work with lots of clever people, and there is a strong learning ethic here, with lots of opportunities to develop new skills. The work/life balance is amazingly good compared with my previous jobs, but my colleagues seem to take it for granted!

Cons

The turnover is really high - in common with the rest of the charity sector - so there’s a continuous cycle of recruitment, on-boarding and knowledge transfer which can get a bit tiring. And sometimes the people who leave for the commercial sector realise after they’ve gone that the extra pay isn’t worth the extra hours and pressure.

10. "Volunteer Worker at Cancer Research UK"

Current Employee - Volunteer in Derby, England

I have been working at Cancer Research UK part-time

Pros

Staff are friendly and always willing to help. Extra work is appreciated.

Cons

Not any concerns working as a volunteer in the Cancer Research UK charity shop. Safety is valued.

Found 34 reviews