Capital One Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Capital One CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank
  1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast growing in SF. Great office spaces, resources, and culture (in the SF offices). Benefits are amazing. It's not a typical stuffy bank environment and the company is focused on disrupting the bank industry.

Cons

HQ based in DC so it can be hard to push things forward quickly if working with colleagues from corporate HQ. The SF culture is vastly different from the corporate culture in DC. DC associates don't seem to understand the growth in SF and what digital teams are trying to accomplish.

Advice to Management

More one on one time with direct reports focusing on problems or issues with getting your work done. More flexibility in allowing direct reports to work from home on occasion (open office environments can be a bit overwhelming at times when you just want to focus on getting work done).

Capital One2015-11-27

Capital One Response

December 4, 2015Associate & Candidate Experience Team

Hi! We appreciate your thoughts on the San Francisco culture, and are excited that you are daring to disrupt with us in the digital space! Thanks for your thoughts on communication between coasts, and the need for work-from-home flexibility. Feedback is valuable to us, and we’re happy ...

"Very fast pace, high expectations."

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, very professional, high respect for clarity of thinking and delivery. Technology, equipment and facilities are top notch. Very structured on boarding process.

Cons

Executives and project owners are very difficult to track down. Nearly impossible to conduct requirements/scope discussions. Contractors are seen as a necessary evil and treated as such.

Advice to Management

At least invest your valuable time into the requirements planning phase of the project.

Capital One2015-11-17

"Good Company, Hard to Move Up"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Having worked at the company for over 10 years, it really is a great place to work with great people. The benefits are good and are very family centered.

Cons

It's hard to move up within the company unless you are located in Richmond. Pay is lower as an employee who's been there for awhile.

Capital One2015-10-15

"IT Project Manager - Scrum Master"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*Flexible work options *Good compensation and benefit packages *Aggressive long term strategies

Cons

*Very little transparency in decision making *Authoritative and bureaucratic organizational structure *Unstable, constantly reorganizing with layoffs and poor job stability *Poor performance management system *Very sensitive org culture and feelings often trump logic in priority *High level goals/plans are not broke down to realistic implementation timelines *Organizational units are too separated and the... global direction is often overlooked for individuals trying to attain recognition

Advice to Management

Start coming up with better than high-level plans without any realistic idea of the shift it takes to get there. Start being honest and transparent of the reasoning behind the decision making. Reward those who get things done, not those who use others to make themselves look good.

Capital One2015-10-28
  5. "Better than average"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people that work there are great. The overall strategy is great.

Cons

Process hurdles and red tape add unnecessary delays and complexity. The culture is chaotic and beyond "fast-paced".

Advice to Management

Communicate vision and purpose. Remove the red tape and redundant process steps.

Capital One2015-10-01
  6. "Great place to work!"

Principal Project Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One for more than 3 years

Pros

Hands down one of the best places to work as a working mother. I've been there for the past 4+ years, and have really enjoyed the work, the telecommuting flexibility, the culture and the quality of the people. I would recommend Capital One to anyone who is passionate about making a difference in the financial services industry.

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say. Occasionally, there are people that you don't jive with, but they tend not to last long.

Advice to Management

I don't have anything in particular to say to management. Keeping treating your associates well and you will continue to get and maintain great people.

Capital One2015-09-22
  7. "Exceptional company to be a part of, incredibly talented people, high performance environment."

Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, and facilities. It's strategically focus on success in its markets, and a key contributor to the community.

Cons

Intense drive to deliver, this is a high performance company. While they preach work life balance it doesn't really exist right now. If you can't give it everything you've got, don't work here.

Advice to Management

This company has an incredible vision and direction and is aggressively advancing toward it. Don't forget your people along the way.

Capital One2015-08-05

"Capital One Labs"

Project Manager

I worked at Capital One

Pros

Great environment to learn and grow. Expectations are clear and they make the path to promotion easy to understand and follow. Lots of really smart people who are motivated and excited about the work that is going on. Great pay and bonuses. Enjoyed working here.

Cons

Company is very large and things can take a while to get done. Too many old processes that slow teams down.

Advice to Management

Continue to remove unnecessary processes and enable the software teams and developers to be successful. Continue to focus on the customers and creating products that they love.

Capital One2015-07-24

Capital One Response

August 6, 2015Associate & Candidate Experience Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback – it makes us happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Capital One! And we totally agree that things can take a while in a large company. We’re constantly driving toward fewer, faster, and better solutions for the enterprise and our ...

"Great benefits, minimal opportunities for advancement"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive salary, nice bonuses, big 401K match, great benefits overall. Smart people.

Cons

Incredibly hard to get promoted. Certain job families are valued (mainly product owners and business analysts) and others are not. If you find yourself in a category that is not valued, you will likely never be promoted. Don't let them convince you otherwise. If you are being hired in as a professional - not college - hire, make sure you are at the correct level. HR/hiring managers are notorious for interviewing... at one level and then offering the role at the level down, saying they want to "set you up for success" and you can get promoted in 6 months. It is not true and you will never catch up to the right level. "Reorgs" happen at least every 6 months. Usually these involve layoffs and massive organizational challenges. I had managers in the double digits by 3 years in. Very disruptive both for getting work done and also for career trajectories. Super hierarchical; no one owns anything, so it's hard to get decisions made, and when they're made, they can be undone by one person questioning the decision or thinking something else; highly regulated environment; lots of bureaucracy, so it's hard to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Respect your people - ALL of them. Don't talk about bringing humanity to banking when you're not treating all your employees as equally valued members of the company.

Capital One2015-08-03
  10. "BSA"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance and employee benefits.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company unless you are willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

Need to be more clear as far as long term goals for the company.

Capital One2015-06-30