Carbonite Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Carbonite Reviews

Updated Nov 20, 2019

3.3
Carbonite CEO Steve Munford (no image)
Steve Munford
Pros
  • "Free snacks, coffee in the kitchen area(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Like minded people, work life Balance , lot to learn and fun office environment(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "tons of support was handed off to a Jamaican call center for cost reasons, except their support team is extremely lackluster(in 14 reviews)

• "The only way for you to get a promotion is if upper management actually likes you as a person, nothing to do with your resume or how you work(in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President, Sales Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

Carbonite is a great place to work and build a career. The company has been in acquisition mode which keeps things exciting. The CEO is an outstanding leader, but an even BETTER person. As an employee you have the opportunity to make an impact in decisions being made as the company grows. The people make the company and we have awesome people!

Cons

Communication could be better, but with all the growth I can see why this has been challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Carbonite2019-02-26

"good company with good benefits"

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

good company to work with. good salary. balanced work life balance. good management

Cons

cant find any cons with this company

Carbonite2016-06-22
  3. "great culture"

Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

the people are amazing the pay is competitive and they invest in people

Cons

none that i can think of

Advice to Management

good work

Carbonite2019-11-20

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, Benefits and Work / Life Balance

Cons

Questionable management decisions at time

Carbonite2019-11-14

"Growth is painful for everyone"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most employees are willing to do anything to help you and are team focused Solid job security Side perks of outings and occasional beer cart helps morale Company is fairly transparent and encourages questions

Cons

You must be flexible to be overloaded with work Company's leadership turnover is problematic Pay well below market standard Company acquisitions integrations are more painful than necessary

Carbonite2019-11-07
  6. "Great place to work in Boston!"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good compensation Great support from HR and Management Great Engineering Team Free snacks, coffee in the kitchen area Beer once a month Free lunch on Fridays Free breakfast on Mondays When I started Carbonite on early 2015 it was a small company. Since then Carbonite has grown exponentially through acquisitions and organic growth both. The team I think tripled in size when I was there. There was significant... increase in the stock price as well. Carbonite is a great place to understand basic technology, how a technology shop works, what the processes and tools, methods etc are available and so on. Like any engineering shop you will deal with both cutting edge stuff and dinosaurs and everything in between. Carbonite tries to be customer focused and there are different priorities at different times that you will have to learn how to shuffle... that comes with the territory. Management is supportive, but I sometimes felt that the Engineering team as a whole was not as involved in decision making process as much as it could have been, but then again different companies have different criteria. The compensation is very competitive. Stock options, benefits, quarterly bonuses are very competitive for a company of Carbonites size. The HR team is excellent and rocks! As a foreign national, they helped me through all of my paperwork and also during rocky transition phases when I was between visas. The HR team treats you like a human as opposed to just a employee ID (which can happen in some of the bigger names). The outside immigration law firm that works with Carbonite are very professional and they know what they're doing, treat you with respect and sensitivity along the process and will guide you realistically. It was a pleasure to work with them. Overall, a good place to work. Carbonite will be around for a while and there is so much to learn. I enjoyed my tenure here and made some very good friends.

Cons

Since they provide a single type of service, sometimes you will feel scope limited on the type of work.

Advice to Management

Do not neglect/forget the Safe product line

Carbonite2019-11-05
  7. "Excellent company for immigration support!"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Extremely supportive + proactive about sponsoring visas and green cards for foreign employees. As a H1-B visa holder, I have been extremely impressed with Carbonite's HR + Immigration teams, they brought me through visa to green card in 2 years. This is a huge benefit for visa holding employees and it cultivates a diverse, accepting company culture. - Good work-life balance, managers here respect that modern... work can be done remotely and are accommodating to a variety of work styles across departments

Cons

- The fallout of frequent acquisitions can be messy and confusing, but all jobs have some element of that kind of thing

Advice to Management

Continue your great work on the immigration front! It's a real testament to the company and helps Carbonite stand out in the highly competitive talent market.

Carbonite2019-10-18
  8. "Pretty good job"

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

Fun tech stuff, learned a lot

Cons

Repetitive calls, mediocre software, call center life

Carbonite2019-10-17

"Think twice about working here"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Carbonite full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO, and budget for training, but the people are the biggest pro, or were the biggest pro but in the past 6 months folks in operations have been leaving left and right.

Cons

Carbonite used to be a rising star, but in the past 6-8 months things took a turn for the worse. Work used to be engaging, challenging, and fun however once the VM product didn't perform well and our CEO left it got increasingly worse. All of Operations most talented people have left or are looking to leave. There are power struggles with the directors which trickle down right to the individual contributors.... It seems no matter how much feedback we give nothing is changing for the better. There is a ton of change, don't get me wrong, but most of it is terrible re-organizations that left work lost in translation and left folks either bored out of their minds or so overloaded they were having meltdowns. This is not a place you should be looking at for employment. Also please be warned, any West Valley City review that is higher than a 2 has been incentivized to place that review.

Advice to Management

At this point I would clean house. Integrate Operations into Engineering and get rid of some of the higher ups that are not helping the case. You need new blood.

"Too little, too late"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

"Free snacks" and fairly good benefits.

Cons

The company has been on a downward trend for almost a decade. It started in EVault, which was then shifted to Seagate, and then sold to Carbonite. Carbonite then turned things around initially for profitability but did little to actually fix the product or the teams that were toxic to the organization. Finally, they started propping up products that really had not been vetting or tested in true use cases. Re-org... after Re-org, RIF after RIF, out of touch leaders time and time again. The last nail in the coffin is the shareholder lawsuits and FTC investigations. Maybe webroot can right the ship, but they'll have to re-write old code and re-staff the company.

Advice to Management

Don't trust the remaining carb leaders, pull in new leadership that knows how to bring old code to modern levels and remove toxic people. Fiercely defend profitability and honest share holder reporting.

Found 232 reviews