Centro Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management" (in 7 reviews)

• "Poor on-boarding, salaries are not competitive, little room for growth" (in 4 reviews)

"Good Company to Work For, But Has Some Challenges to Overcome."

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Centro was a good company to work for.

The product - Basis - is fantastic, and will truly be a game changer for small to mid-market sized agencies and companies.

Perks to the job were great - unlimited PTO, competitive salary, good health benefits, tons of flexibility in all aspects of the position.

There are a LOT of good people at this company. A few bad eggs that stand out, but overall, you'll find many people who believe in the company, and are willing to help.

Cons

In my time there, the company was going through an identity shift from services to software as the main offering. Unfortunately, this was not the first identity shift Centro had gone through, and the market I worked in recognized it, making it difficult to position Centro as a stable company.

I was a remote employee, and support overall was okay. My manager supported me well, but beyond that support was lacking. Sales training and onboarding is getting better, but my onboarding process was terrible, which hindered me throughout my time at Centro. If you've never worked remotely before, I would not recommend this as your first remote position.

Leadership has little understanding of what is happening in markets outside of where they are based.

Advice to Management

Stay on the current path, but realize what your sweet spot is, and adjust your pricing model accordingly. You'll make the sale stronger, and win a lot more business.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Centro does a great job bringing in talented, intelligent and caring people. We have an incredible company culture that truly embodies it's core values and encourages personal growth for all employees. They offer ongoing training for all levels and help you create a career plan specialized with your manager. Unlimited FTO, Ferris Bueller days, Save the World days, etc. etc. Also offer yoga classes and guided meditation multiple times a week.

Cons

No dogs in the office! :(

3. "Good People, Inflated Success"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

Good group of people and solid benefits.

Cons

Shrinking business and desperately trying to move into a new crowded field. Low pay for industry standards.

"Quick to let people go"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

Good benefits, unlimited time off.

Cons

Shawn Riegsecker, the CEO, always would speak about how he takes care of his employees & it's all about their growth & being a good person. Yet, when times got tough he was VERY quick to let people go - right before the holidays. This makes him & Centro a bit untrustworthy if you ask me. Also, it takes years for employees to actually get promoted at the company. Don't believe all this hype about "hiring 100+ new employees in 2019." That may be true, but if the following year, times get tough, Shawn will be sure to let people go (before cutting upper management's salaries).

"Company that you will enjoy working for"

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere, great technology

Cons

None that I can think of

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing noteworthy to mention as pros. Just a regular technology company trying to stay in business.

Cons

Poor management, no career growth, no skill development, the list goes on. Most of the effort just goes in handling poor managers and their egoistic attitudes. Plus there is shortage of staff with all the laying off and some smart people leaving the company. Day to day effort goes in training new folks than learning anything new. This used to be one of the companies with best work culture. But not anymore.

Advice to Management

Try to retain good employees than restructuring and experimenting.

"Centro is the best company I've ever worked for (and perhaps the best company I'll ever work for)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Centro are what make this company incredible. From our Founder and CEO Shawn, to our interns we call Centerns - everyone I've interacted with at Centro is kind, respectful, intelligent, driven and quirky. This is not by accident; everyone who works at Centro is carefully vetted, not only to determine if he or she is a good fit for the position, but most importantly, to determine if he or she is a good fit for Centro. Each new employee is sent to our Chicago headquarters for New Hire Orientation to not only learn about the company's mission and values, but also to be welcomed into the family. Speaking of family, Centro truly does feel like a big blended family of sorts. It's insane how much the executive team truly cares about us, and how much we care about each other. Recently, my family experienced a major tragedy, and several members of the executive team reached out to me personally to ask how I was doing. Centro went above and beyond in so many ways and I felt (and continue to feel) completely supported and cared for.
    Aside from the people, we have incredible benefits at Centro (our paid time off and maternity/paternity leave policies could not be better in my opinion), and the company is extremely dedicated to the personal and professional growth of its employees. For example, managers are frequently educated on conscious leadership principals to set them and their teams up for success. One thing I love most about Centro is our foundation in gratitude; it's common to see the words "I appreciate you" in an email from a colleague, and we even have a "Raving Fan" program that recognizes Centrons who go above and beyond their day to day job descriptions. This all creates contagious positive energy throughout our offices, which happen to be located in the best locations within each city. Humor is also a theme at Centro - we laugh together often, and we enjoy having fun with each other. For example, employees who leave the company and return after a few months or years receive Centro-branded boomerangs. It's amazing to see a relatively large company operate so succinctly, and I'm just happy to be a part of it.

Cons

I haven't noticed any cons to working at Centro. I've heard that other companies in the industry might pay higher salaries; however, I imagine those companies' cultures and benefits do not remotely compare to Centro's.

"Frustrating Environment"

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Unlimited Vacation ... But it's to the discretion of your manager. Some people will get approved over and over again, and others will not.
    2. Lots of great work to be done ... But not enough people who are actually capable of getting it done, which causes an imbalance of workload.

Cons

Management (including the exec team) plays favorites. This is not a new issue, and I've seen it on multiple teams since I started at Centro. Somehow, it is never addressed and it continues to happen. If you are friends with the boss, you will get ahead - whether it's getting that raise you wanted, getting all your days off approved, or getting away with doing little to no work (and somehow still getting rewarded).

There are so many people who are overworked, overwhelmed and under recognized. Management has a poor understanding of what is required of their team, what their team actually works on, and what is needed, both in terms of staffing and resources to get things done without people crying at their desks. I've seen so many people get frustrated and leave the company, or remain and just become miserable. It has become such a toxic environment in so many ways, and if you try to speak up, you are silenced or disregarded, which pushes a lot of people to leave. When people feel like you don't appreciate them, they will look for appreciation elsewhere. So much talent has been lost because of this and of course, the people who stay are friends with the boss.

There are large company callouts to say "we are so grateful for the work you do," which is wonderful, but it ends there. It does not change the manager relationships and certainly does not reduce any of the stress people feel. There is little to no attempt to value the people who work hard to help the team succeed.

Advice to Management

Put on your professional hat. Stop focusing on your personal ideas and feelings about your team (including who you like more than everyone else) and focus on what is important: knowledge, dedication, insightful thinking, creative problem solving and hard work. You are ignoring the people who are actually trying to get great work done to hold the team up, and rewarding those who feed off the hard work of others. It is beyond frustrating and playing favorites makes the situation so much worse for those people who don't know how to be your best friend. It's fine to have fun, be casual and make friends, but there's a line of professionalism to be found, and you really need to find it.

There are a select number of managers and teams that I think might actually have a handle on how to run a team properly, without playing favorites and making people feel so belittled and bitter. Maybe you can all learn from them, because I don't know what else to suggest to you. Unless of course the intent is to get rid of anyone who is not your best friend and you are completely happy with the deconstruction of the various teams. If that is the case, you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

"Great culture, lacking product"

Pros

They want to do the right thing

Cons

They do not have the product to compete with the big boys. Also they spend way too much time on being named the best place to work versus advertising effectively to their prospects

Advice to Management

Grow up. Be transparent with your pricing

"Time to spread my wings"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

* Our kitchen is stocked with snacks and fruit comes once a week
    * Free Citibike membership
    * Unlimited vacay (within reason)

Cons

I've seen many good people leave, all for various reasons. They've all been spoken about, again, as "having their own reasons for leaving," but in reality, it's pretty clear: the vision changed, and with that, the company realized it didn't need the talent it already had. Therefore, people are finding better opportunities where they are valued and respected.

Culture has shifted and it's made me realize there are better places to be than where I am now. The perks are good, but they'll never outweigh respect and recognition.