Centro Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Company is growing rapidly and as a result it seems some policies are enforced differently by department, creating a inconsistency" (in 8 reviews)

• "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management" (in 7 reviews)

"A one of a kind company"

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had several jobs and I can say that Centro is one of a kind. They put so much effort into their people and the experience they have. They are dedicated to being successful and blood, sweat and tears might come with that. But that is the rewarding part. It might feel crazy, but you are expected to work hard and put in extra efforts to see the rewards. I don't know of any company that doesn't try to run lean or push people hard. That is what smart businesses do. I learned a great deal during my time at Centro and maybe I'll be a boomerang employee.

If you know anything about benefits, Centro has some of the best benefits there are.

Its not perfect but pretty darn close.

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning at this time.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and keep pushing people - the ones that want to be there will be, the ones that don't want to work hard will find their way out.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

This company is unlike any other, and anyone working here will agree. There are problems (as there are with any company) - but all in all, it is a fun, enjoyable, culture-oriented place to work. The environment is A+, there are snacks, copious options of coffee (coming from someone who is fine with none ;) and tons of incentives to produce your best work. Any bad reviews are people who wish they hadn't been fired (which says a lot about them as people... because Centro gives you every opportunity to improve before letting you go.

This place is wonderful. Management is wonderful. The culture is wonderful. If you have the chance to work here, you will not regret it.

Cons

Some growing pains, as there will be with every company.

"The Proof is in the Pudding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ask any of the employees who have left Centro, and decided to come back, this place is special and not like other companies. There is a reason why employees stay so long, and when they leave for a different job, many want to come back. The company is on the right track with the vision for the new platform, and has managed to maintain its focus on employee wellness and culture even through a massive restructuring. Sure, some people aren't pleased with the changes, but company changes are inevitable in this industry, and I'd be concerned if Centro wasn't making changes.

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning... maybe add some candy into the snack mix.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Media Associate"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

Amazing people and culture, such a great place to learn and work.

Cons

Sometimes colleagues work longer hours.

"Great vision, robust benefits, fiscally responsible"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working at Centro for a few years now and we've had our ups and downs. But through it all, we've kept the same goals and vision. Additionally, we've been very responsible about how we manage our money, which is a big part of our longevity and stability. The employee benefits are great. I won't list them all here, but there is definitely an emphasis on employee health and wellness.

Cons

The company did not do a great job getting employees to buy into the direction of the business. It is getting better now. Also, in comparison with other company peers, we don't have as much resources as the competition. I know that is our choice to operate the way we do, but internally, we have to recognize that we don't have as much as the other ad tech players.

Advice to Management

Need better communications about what is happening in the business, where we are winning or losing, and why, and where we need to get better.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I`ve worked in many IT companies, Centro is one of the best.
    Good work/life balance.
    Unlimited vacation + home office when needed.
    Newest technologies.
    People, people, people!

Cons

Not the best location and office building in Toronto (amazing in Chicago). Hopefully will be changed soon.

"Everyone hates their lives here"

I have been working at Centro (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful offices and world class snacks

Cons

Once a hot company and no longer. You will shed blood tears and sweat for something that doesn't matter at the end of the day. Upper management take advertising way too seriously and ruins the lives of everyone they manage. From the sales dept to the Media team, this company is truly beginning to crumble. Clients don't care about Centro's offering because they have nothing significant to offer. Oh a DSP? A little too late in the game to be competitive. The data analytics they provide to clients is so meaningless and almost every campaign fails. Every person in upper management is either a psychotic mother or an old guy who is waiting to retire to reap his 401k benefits. If you're a male not in upper management, forget about it... You won't succeed in this company. Centro is so desperate for any business (even budgets less than $10k) they can get it's pathetic. You won't learn anything either, so don't waste your time since this isn't an innovative company, it's just another media organization failing to be resilient and unique. Sales folks LOVE to bring in ideas that make no sense for the client and cause unnecessary work for everyone. Also, forget about a pay raise or promotion... you won't see that, EVER. Anyone who's been at the company for more than 3 years will tell you how impulsive their business decisions are, and it's quite sad since upper management knows this company will not be around in 5-8 years, guaranteed.

Advice to Management

We see it in your eyes. You're all upset, so quit and move on with your angry selves.

"Sad state of affairs. Job seekers: look elsewhere!"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

The employees themselves are great, talented people.

Cons

Centro USED to be a great place to work, even winning awards in this particular category. However, the proof is in the pudding and over the past year or two, the culture has declined substantially to a point where it's completely unrecognizable. The last award we took home for best place to work was in 2016.

First of all, it feels like some of the female leaders at this company are setting women back 100 years. All of the progress we see in the media with women coming together is the opposite of what's happening at Centro if you report into certain women. Regardless of how hard you work, how passionate you are about helping the company do well, and how loyal you've been as an employee, there is an immature level of cattiness that supersedes and nothing else matters. Far too many talented people have either left Centro this year or been pushed out because of the declining culture and lack of respect towards employees, and the leadership team, CEO included, refuses to take any accountability, even when the churn rate is shockingly high. Their response when someone incredibly talented leaves? Don't let the door hit you on the way out! But on the bright side, other great companies recognize this talent and are swooping people up quickly so it's a win-win. If you're considering Centro for your next place of employment, turn around and look elsewhere. There are other companies out there that will appreciate your talent more than Centro. And just like the person in the May 2nd post mentioned, unfortunately employees have to resort to Glassdoor to voice our concerns because no one in HR or the exec team are accepting of feedback without it being used against you.

Advice to Management

Your leadership team needs a shuffle. Your friendships have become a major conflict of interest and there are certain people in power positions without the appropriate subject matter knowledge and leadership experience just because they've been at Centro since the early days. You're getting away from what matters, which is building a great product and culture, and focusing too much on ego and politics.

"Would Not Recommend"

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, good snacks, and strong product.

Cons

Overworked environment, loss of direction as a company, and low pay.

"The recent bad reviews are a cry for help. Please help."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance and unlimited vacation.

Cons

I am sad that current employees feel they can only resort to social media posts to voice their concerns about the company. This is because a) candid feedback is only acknowledged and addressed if it is positive and b) going to your manager or HR is unfortunately ineffective. So many current employees feel trapped when it comes to voicing true concerns or simply wanting support to address a negative issue. I can tell you, I am really discouraged that every single piece of negative input is viewed as the employee’s own fault or, even more disappointingly, not a culture fit. I can assure you plenty of strong employees with a solid commitment to Centro feel their negative input gets turned on its head. It couldn’t possibly be our leadership’s fault, right? Of course not! It’s our problem to solve. That’s what we are told. Or if you don’t like it, please see the door. Old Centro would not even recognize today’s Centro with how clueless (or ignorant) it is to the current climate.

Advice to Management

Please consider the idea that what you’re hearing on the street has some validity worth investigating. Yes, there is a lot of negativity and perhaps some exaggerations. But try to see both sides to these stories. Please. Many people are telling their sides of the story. And they feel completely silenced and scared.