Chambers and Partners Reviews

Updated 18 Sep 2020

4.2
Chambers and Partners CEO Tim Noble (no image)
Tim Noble
Pros
  • "Great location by Chancery Lane, excellent facilities within the office, fairly quick development, useful new HR/professional development system(in 6 reviews)

• "It’s good as a first job, but it’s a stepping stone(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The canteen and the toilets are a disgrace(in 9 reviews)

• "Senior management have no interest in staff, promotions are arbitrary and morale is incredibly low(in 5 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"A friendly, well-structured and driven workplace"

Current Employee - Research Analyst

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have found Chambers and Partners to be a welcoming company that has adapted very well to Covid and working from home. I had a 7 month hiring process due to the pandemic but they were true to their word in promising to contact me once their hiring freeze lifted, and after that the interview and hiring process was swift and efficient. I haven't found joining at a distance to be an issue at all - if anything, I feel like my line manager and others have made a special effort to keep checking in and maintain a regular schedule of calls so that I can ask questions and not feel isolated while still learning the ropes. The training period also worked well from home, with a lot of video calls from the leadership and development team that helped it feel like an interactive learning process rather than just being left with a set of instructions. Although there is a definite hierarchy in the research team, it doesn't feel remotely intimidating or imposing. Everyone of varying levels of superiority have made equal effort to welcome me and introduce me to others, whether that's just sending messages, inviting me to virtual after work drinks, or including me in team meetings so that I can put more faces to names. There is also a fun and sociable element to the work atmosphere, and I find it impressive and a promising sign that social activities have been maintained at a distance. Although plans have been made to start returning to the office in small groups, it has been stressed that no one is compelled to and everyone can do what works or feels best/safe for them. All in all, adaptability is a definite strength of the company that I have noticed so far and I feel it bodes well for future work.

Cons

The office space has been reduced from 3 floors of the building to 1, which means that it will be impossible for all members of a research area to be in at once. This is a sad prospect for cooperation, and I wonder if it was really necessary to reduce office space so drastically, especially seeing as I have heard that most of the senior management are back mostly full time while everyone else is likely to be able to come in only once a week or so. Also, research work is largely independent. Although you are working for an editor, every part of the research process of a particular section is organised and carried out by you alone. This isn't strictly a con, but it may not suit potential employees who envisage and enjoy collaborative projects.

2. "Good first job"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s good as a first job, but it’s a stepping stone.

Cons

They need clearer progression processes.

3. "Many bad reviews but it’s been quite fun working here"

4.0
    Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at Chambers and Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

No real skills needed exempt being able to copy write people say quickly Used to be at we work so nice beers and colleagues hanging out It’s fun for those without a proper qualification that would lead them to a proper career. (Ie English lit, international relation, politics etc)

Cons

Repetitive work Occasionally management would demand things not contributive to your completion of the work

Continue reading
  4. COVID-19

"Joined the company in lockdown"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Very driven and result oriented company! Open to new ideas and focus on innovation. Clear and regular comms from top management. - I joined the company in lockdown and have not met my colleagues in person yet but we speak regularly, advice and / or help is always there. - Onboarding process was well organised in these unprecedented circumstances

Cons

Be ready to put in extra hours to get into the rhythm

HR

Thank you very much for your comment. We are delighted to hear your onboarding process was smooth and that you have been able to connect regular with your new colleagues. We are incredibly proud of the seamless transition from working in the office to working at home and being able to still provide a well organised onboarding process. We also greatly appreciate any extra hours you have put in during this early stage of your career with us.

5. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Holborn, England

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management are really helpful and you don’t feel pressure asking questions. The job is good if you speak a language and want to use this in your role. It is relatively easy to get the hang of and you learn about new legal areas on the job. Very friendly staff - To this day I haven’t encountered anyone I don’t like Relaxed casual office atmosphere Perks include private healthcare, days off to do charity work, 25 days holiday and full pay sick days. They pride themselves on inclusion and diversity and this definitely feels like a priority.

Cons

You can feel pressure to not take your holiday days as it can interfere with your research schedule. Deadlines can be quite tight and a disproportionate amount of work can be given to you in comparison to other colleagues doing the same role. Promotions are quite hard to get. It can be hard to make friends.

Continue reading

HR

Thank you very much for your comment. We are very happy to hear of your positive experience working with us, we take great pride in creating a friendly environment for all our employees to feel safe, happy and productive in. Diversity and inclusion are very important for us, so we are delighted to hear you have recognised the excellent work from all those involved. We also look forward to furthering our progress in this area. We appreciate your comment on holidays and promotions, as with all employees we encourage holidays to be taken at times where there would be minimum disruption to teams. Regarding promotions we strive to recognise the achievements of our employees, but please do speak to your line manager should you wish to discuss possible promotions as well as liaising with them regarding your holiday entitlement, your manager will be more than happy to work with you on both matters. Regarding team socials, given the current situation these are on hold, however we regularly hold virtual events such as quizzes, clubs and daily tea-times. Should you wish to learn more on any of these, please email people@chambers.com.

6. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive environment, enjoyable job and the onboarding was relatively quick and painless. Especially great after leaving a couple of awful jobs in a row.

Cons

Could become montonous but depends on how much effort you're bothered to put in. More effort equals greater satisfaction.

HR

Thank you very much for your comment. We are delighted to hear of your experience with us and are very happy you have found working with us a welcome change from your previous experience. We pride ourselves on creating a supportive environment for all employees. We appreciate your feedback on your work. We always encourage our employees to work to their best which in turn we feel provides them with a greater sense of job satisfaction. Should you wish to discuss any of the above in further detail, please do email people@chambers.com.

7. "Really great experience at Chambers"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Chambers takes care for real of its employees. Great induction and smooth on-boarding. Clear top-down communication.

Cons

The selection process took longer than I expected

HR

Thank you very much for your comment. We are very happy to hear of your smooth introduction and onboarding process; our teams work very hard to ensure all new employees find the process as smooth and welcoming as possible. We appreciate your feedback on the selection process. Our teams work very hard to ensure we can provide a timely response during this process, we apologies if you found you were made to wait longer than expected. We will relay this message to the relevant department. Should you wish to discuss any of the above in further detail, please do email people@chambers.com.

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting and enjoyable work, great support from colleagues, manageable workload, very good training process.

Cons

Not a con, but you have to quickly learn how to use new software, however it's not too difficult.

HR

Thank you very much for your comment. We are delighted to hear of your positive experience working with us. We work hard to create a supportive and welcoming environment for all employees along with providing a great training process to ensure all employees are highly skilled in their areas. Thank you for your feedback on your experience with using new software. We are proud to offer training sessions on all software used across the business and our teams offer full support during these sessions and beyond to ensure all employees are comfortable with new software. Should you require any further training please do not hesitate to speak to your line manager who would be happy to assist you with this. Alternatively, please do email people@chambers.com.

9. "Good"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Chambers and Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice place to work as software developer

Cons

I don't see any con in Software development team

HR Director

Thank you very much for your comments. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed working as a Software Developer with us and we wish you every success in the future.

10. "Great team"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very central and good facilities

Cons

You don't have sick leave pay during probation period

HR

Thank you very much for your comment, we are very happy that you are having a positive experience at Chambers. We are incredibly proud of our team and culture and it is very rewarding to see your feedback. We appreciate your comment about the lack of sick leave during probation, which we know can sometimes be hard to manage. Our policy is in line with the standard practice in the country, and once you have passed your probation period you have up to 10 days of paid sick leave. Do not hesitate to get in touch at people@chambers.com if you have any questions.

Found 83 reviews