ChannelAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Nov 21, 2019

3.1
ChannelAdvisor CEO David Spitz
David Spitz
Pros
  • "Great benefits, awesome team play, great boss(in 22 reviews)

• "Great people that are not only smart, but care about the work(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Inside Sales is a school for learning how to cheat and go behind people's backs to get ahead(in 9 reviews)

• "I am not sure if they keep the sales team ignorant on purpose or if they just allow them to outright lie(in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good central London office and great office atmosphere.

Cons

Internal communication could sometimes be improved.

ChannelAdvisor2019-11-21
  2. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Communicative and transparent leadership team, beautiful offices, laid back atmosphere, and challenging work

Cons

Compensation is average, should be more opportunity for non-revenue facing positions to earn more.

ChannelAdvisor2019-11-15
  3. "Great Place to work!"

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great Product Great People Best Sales Commission Structure in the Industry

Cons

Agility, Sometimes decisions take long

ChannelAdvisor2019-11-07

"Helping boost my career"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great coworkers around you (you get what you give) -Benefits -Nice office environment -Flexibility -Decent Pay

Cons

I just spent 30 minutes reading these negative reviews in awe at some people’s cons and just petty responses. Some of which simply uncalled for. Your commute is long? You don’t like what the CEO wears? You don’t like that you have to work or be in the office? I’m a little baffled here, because last I checked, you signed up for you commute, it shouldn’t matter what anyone wears to your job, and lastly - oh wow you... have to work? People complain about no team outings, but then don’t show up when we have them. ha! There are definitely some negatives to working at Channeladvisor, but there are negatives to any job, in any state, in any category. I think we need some additional resources undoubtedly. It also sounds like we need to work on morale. Here’s the thing, the grass isn’t always greener.

Advice to Management

Account management/CSMs need to stop acting like sales is out to get them. Sales is the reason they have a job. Half the company needs to just step up, get off their high horse and stop being lazy at times. And we need stronger management to push this. Sales development is such a crucial part of driving new business and there is a non existent department with no management and no seeming desire to grow in this... department. They need more training, they don’t need to get paid the same as people closing deals. Without an SDR department, you’re just taking time away from AEs closing deals to just prospect all day. I think we need to listen to the market more than we listen to customers, this is an idea we should have adopted years ago. Overall, I like ChannelAdvisor and would recommend it. I’m excited to see what 2020 brings.

ChannelAdvisor2019-09-21

"Writing is on the wall"

Current Employee - Services in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Parking - Water stations and watery coffee - Basic 401 K match - Talented but overworked and underpaid coworkers. Many are jumping ship, so keep that in mind. - Stock options for a underperforming stock - On the right team, under the right manager work/life is awesome

Cons

I have been with Channeladvisor just over year and a half. The honey moon phase wore off quickly. One thing to keep in mind is that the company seems to be in contraction and stabilization mode. You will want to keep this in mind when weighing a career here as it effects the business, your day to day and career growth. Remember, it is always better to work for a growing company than one fighting to survive. If you... are looking for a fun, hip, or cultured work environment this may not be the place for you. Basically, the only perk you can expect to find here is a water station, coffee and tea. You may get one company outing a year, a team outing, and a grand total of one give back day. The morale is very low, and I mean low. What leads to low morale you ask? Well there are a couple factors. The first thing to note is the product itself. The product is built on a house of cards and investments in enhancing the product has slowed. I am sure the CEO will come back and say, “we have invested in our brands significantly.” Or, “we have increased our customer experience with our repricers such as the Amazon, eBay, Velocity, and multi-channel repricers.” Well, let me tell you it all becomes a mess to manage and customers get overwhelmed and cannot use these features. In addition, uploading data is a tedious task and bit outdated. Custom templates sound great in theory until you spend hours mapping templates just to have the system yell at you once you try to upload. Take my word for it, as a person that has mapped thousands of these, it can be a painful process. But perhaps you wish to send Channeladvisor data via our open API. Good luck, you better know how to set that up because we offer literally no support in that process. We do have some documentation for you, but the screenshots don’t match and half of it is outdated. All of this more times than not leads to projects stalling out, customer frustration, and churn. Oh, you have NetSuite or Magento that’s great! Our implementation team has literally zero training on those integrations and can’t assist you with getting your data in. Sales will probably leave that bit out or tell you implementation will help you. From what I’ve seen from the implementation team, their response tends to be the equivalent of “May the odds be in your favor.” To be fair, it’s not that teams’ fault, they just don’t have the training to assist. Okay, your products are in that’s great, now to map more templates for each marketplace you wish to sale on. Again, hours of template mapping which includes, but not limited to, business rules creation (you probably will need support), look-up lists (another support ticket), and then BAM you’re listed…just kidding you have errors. Now, let’s spend countless hours just trying to resolve errors. This is just the start of the mess and let’s not even talk about bundles, variations and marketplace restrictions. All in all, it’s just not an easy system to use or manage. It often takes far too long to load pages, or just doesn’t load the pages at all. Majority of the time we just laugh at the product as searches to find itself. On top of all this sale is a nightmare. If you happen to land on the services side, be prepared to deal with a ton of mislead and straight up lied to clients. I am not sure if they keep the sales team ignorant on purpose or if they just allow them to outright lie. Most days I don’t feel good about the work we are doing. More of our customer’s land in collections than actually see success. Those customers that manage not go into collections tend to churn in the first year. Just google Channeladvisor customer reviews and you will get the idea. I mean when the sales team has mugs that literally read, “No cares hit your numbers” you know it’s not an honest day’s work. Also, the support team cares, the implementation cares, and account managers care. We are the ones that have to make the garbage sales sold work. The number of clients I get on the phone with that have no SKU(required to make the system work), no data, and no plan of success is crazy. The executive team will respond and say, “Well that’s our job to make them successful.” Sure, that is great, but how? Channeladvisor is not a data building company. We can’t create SKUs for sellers, we can’t get their UPCs, we can’t provide images and THEY(the customer) can’t use the product. All in all, it’s like hitting your head against a wall daily. To add to all this, the lack of training to provide real strategy, and a leadership team that has no idea what the heck is going on makes for a frustrating environment. Listen, they boast about the challenging work you will do and the ever-changing world of e-commerce and how it’s a team effort. Reality check, the work is tedious and frustrating. You will encounter the same challenges over and over again. The product itself is broken and not to mention the underdeveloped client set you will work with. Yes, e-commerce is moving fast, but Channeladvisor is way behind. They claim to be the industry leader, but just because you were there first does not make you the leader. The pipeline is dry and they can’t grow organically and they can’t afford to acquire. It’s tough spot to be in. Remember, as one of the Services Values states “Good enough is never good enough.” Also, that is awful and should never have been put on the walls. “Culture” is created not mandated.

Advice to Management

Your competitors have caught up and, in many cases, surpassed you. Your pricing structure is a mess ;face it the tier system isn’t working. If you charge for a premium service, then deliver it. Stop being cheap and get phone support! Literally every customer that I work with complains about this. Support is awesome but they are understaffed. Also, help the implementation team by selling to customers that actually... fit the product. Those poor guys are setup to fail with the crap deals that come through. Care about your people first and we will invest back. With all the negative changes such as layoffs, cut to health benefits and a joke of a stock price do something nice for us. Also, don’t tell us to not worry about the stock then in our merit cycles give us more worthless stock instead of actual raises. You can’t have it both ways. Can you not see that we are not smiling, we are not engaged and most of us are looking to get out? Last note, don’t start a meeting where you try to justify layoff and then brag about the money you have in the bank. By the way it's not enough to brag about. The writing is on the wall and your current strategy isn’t working. Cake day isn’t going to cut it. And no, you are not in monetary debt, but you are in reputation debt.

ChannelAdvisor2019-08-17

"Tools for success are not available"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers. Bright work environment. Star Wars everywhere.

Cons

Base salary is low, but it matches the small deal sizes. You are doing the same job as BizDev and both teams don't have the proper tools to validate customer connections. AE's should be growing relationships and accounts. No more 100% covered health insurance. Massive layoffs. Office closures. No OTE increases. SAE's not getting paid accelerators. Managers bashing laid off employees. Leadership wants to keep... employees in the office and work from home is frowned upon. Leadership will act like they are listening, but just ignore employee feedback.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and trust them to do their jobs. Get modern with how the current workforce demands quality of life and work from home options. Pay your employees for their success.

ChannelAdvisor2019-09-20
  7. "Good company"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Holborn, England

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can be a very lucrative role if you work hard, commission is great for the top performers

Cons

Often felt like i was being micro managed, no flexi work (at the time anyway), always in the office no working from home, you would receive a lecture if you turn up 2 minutes late

Advice to Management

when you have a great rep, promote them, don't make them serve 18 months doing sales development when they are clearly ready for a BDM position

ChannelAdvisor2019-09-17

"An Evolving and Progressive Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best talent in the industry, transparent leadership, fast-paced and adaptable, fun energy

Cons

small pockets in the company where there is a lack of accountability and unwillingness to be better.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate our business goals to the entire organization; it's meaningful to understand how our own projects and directives directly affect the company's bottom line. Stop accepting mediocrity; there are folks who want to do the absolute minimum to get by and fly under the radar, and we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard than that.

ChannelAdvisor2019-08-13

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Strong leadership - Great culture - Good comp plan

Cons

- Rarely given leads from SDR team

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! The UK business is going through a transitional phase at the moment with a number of changes. I have no doubt this will serve to help ChannelAdvisor thrive and continue to deliver an excellent service to their customer base!

ChannelAdvisor2019-08-08

"Sad company."

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best baristas in the hood downstairs in the cafe.

Cons

CEO with absolutely no ability to think strategically and execute on it. Although he’s been pretty successful keeping the stock price low consistently. 👍 In the past two months, they’ve lost their CFO, CPO, CRO and now the VP, Product is leaving.

Advice to Management

The way you treated your folks on the way out the door was super irresponsible. You tout integrity - what a complete joke.

ChannelAdvisor2019-08-27