Charterhouse Partnership Employee Reviews about "dubai"

Updated 19 Jul 2019

3.1
Pros
  • "If you are looking to join an agency where it's 'party, party, party' then go elsewhere - too many recruiters go to Dubai for the party lifestyle(in 18 reviews)

• "Nice balcony, some good directors left(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "less than average commission structure(in 12 reviews)

• "No HR which means no support with personal problems or issues that you may not want to discuss with your manager(in 10 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "dubai"

Return to all Reviews

"Very strange place to work"

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time

Pros

Dubai as a city is a great spot Charterhouse can be a gateway to start working in Dubai and to understand the better companies out there.

Cons

Turnover. It's almost famous amongst other recruitment companies in Dubai for the amount of turnover it has had, with many consultants in Dubai having arrived with Charterhouse and then left after a few months (to another agency). It has a very political, almost nasty culture. There seem to be a lot of clients that just refuse to work with Charterhouse now due to historical issues, so can be tough to get business.

March 12, 2018Managing Director

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and voicing your opinion. Recruitment does have turnover and ironically if you read reviews on Glassdoor of any of the recruitment businesses large or small, you will see constant reviews with the same theme of high turnover, poor management, bad commission scheme, long hours, ridiculous KPIs, poor salaries, etc. Recruitment is a sales environment which has challenges, it is unfortunate when someone does not succeed in a role, however there is turnover in a sales environment, not everyone is successful and as much as it would be great to see everyone succeed it simply does not happen. A positive from your review is that you rated the Comp & Bens portion of the review the highest; salaries, medical cover and benefits were something that you felt were the best part of your role. Hopefully you can go on to secure a new opportunity for yourself in Dubai and thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

"Fantastic business!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dubai

I have been working at Charterhouse Partnership full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best business in the UAE. Well established, high performing, collaborative agency. MD is extremely supportive and it saddens me that certain individuals have launched what can only be described as an unprovoked attack on one of the nicest bosses I have ever worked for. Non KPI focussed, this business is all about relationships with long standing clients. If you are looking to join an agency where it's 'party, party, party' then go elsewhere - too many recruiters go to Dubai for the party lifestyle. This is a professional business!

Cons

I think the culture is sometimes too relaxed? Sometimes people take advantage of that but it's also a positive if you are someone who responds well to autonomy.

August 7, 2019Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased to see you are in the right place, it is always great to have people who enjoy their roles! I hope it continues to go well and feel free to ask for any support you may need.

"Supportive company"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership

Pros

I left the business for personal reasons and I will say I am very upset to read a number of very disturbing posts attacking the business and the MD. Charterhouse, the MD and senior management are all extremely supportive and they want everyone to succeed and do well. No business is perfect and the people writing these posts must be upset about being let go due to not hitting their targets and KPI’s. Recruitment is a sales driven role and if you don’t achieve what is required as per your signed contract you will not stay in this role, or any other sales role. I ask those who are making negative and incorrect comments, is recruitment or a sales role the the job for you..? Bonus: the company gives Easter and Christmas off and the entire business closes down during these holidays which are very rare in Dubai!

Cons

I personally don’t have many negative thoughts on the business. I was well treated as an employee and felt I was supported. If I’m going to say anything it would be great to have some BD session times as an entire business. BD is very hard to do by yourself so having everyone do at the same time would help with moral.

August 8, 2019Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I appreciate your review of the business and I am pleased to see you enjoyed your time with the business. I hope your personal situation has been resolved and your enjoying your next chapter.

"Do not accept a job here"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dubai

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time for less than a year

Pros

They move you to Dubai

Cons

-I ignored these reviews before I moved and despite being warning about the high turn over rate! Look at how many people leave within the first year on LinkedIn - they get fired! Haha -MD that plays mind games with you, is unsupportive and brings you down. When she doesn’t feel like she’s not affecting you she will go as far to rip into your personality. -“Fearful” and quiet office environment- everyone is too scared to speak and you could hear a pin drop - shocking place to do BD. -Everyone in the office hates it and moans about the snakey environment at every opportunity. -Honestly, it was just a very strange and unenjoyable experience. Just ask anyone in Dubai what their thoughts are: Charterhouse and the MD have a shocking reputation.

July 18, 2019Managing Director

Recruitment, which is a sales career, requires dedication, resilience, and drive. Since sales environments can be inhospitable for anyone who does not possess the drive to succeed, relocating to the Middle East, where the market has distinct challenges is not for everyone. When a consultant does not work out, it has a financial impact (so it should), so we do want to see everyone succeed, for them and for ourselves, however the reality is not everyone has what it takes to succeed like any sales role. During the interview process, we do advise anyone who joins our business the amount of drive required to be successful within our environment and in the Middle East. Whilst we are not a business with strict KPIs, we are a business that does want to earn revenue as does any business, therefore we do ensure that activity is to the levels required to be successful. Regarding Business Development, every coverage area of our business handles BD and certain aspects of the recruitment process in a different manner, what works for the Sales Division may not work for Legal Private Practice, we prefer to give consultants autonomy in how they go about achieving their targets, if you are looking for a call centre environment that is not our business. Employees are held accountable to results, not hours in the office or on the phone. It is unfortunate that you feel you were not supported by the Management, we do try to provide support to our staff, not only from the MD but also from our HR Operations Manager. Hopefully you have secured a new role in Dubai.

"Never accept a job here!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dubai

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time for less than a year

Pros

3/5 people you meet in Dubai, have worked at Charterhouse. The turnover is incredibly high so you have a lot in common with most of the Dubai population, it's a great conversation starter. I particularly enjoyed the team meetings when the MD brings the office to a complete standstill to rant at someone and humiliate them. It was embarrassing, for her. They hire good people it’s just a shame they have no idea how to retain them. They relocate you to Dubai. That’s honestly the only positive.

Cons

Charterhouse have the worst reputation in the market, which is why they can only attract talent from the UK as no one in the region would ever work there. I ignored the reviews before moving here and I really wish I didn’t. It’s taken me a year to escape the place and I jumped for joy on my way out! Dubai is a slow market and due to this, the MD is ruthless. Even consultants that have billed that month can be fired without any notice, it all depends if you want to befriend the MD and play her awful games. My advice would be not to. She makes out she cares about her staff but I’ve never known a boss to be so fake, rude and manipulative. There is more atmosphere in a morgue than there is in that office. The sales floor is silent. If you are used to a busy environment where you speak to your colleagues and celebrate success, this place isn’t for you. Be prepared to do BD calls in silence. They will tell you throughout the interview process it’s not a KPI driven business, but it is. The pipeline meeting at the start of the week only demotivates you and the MD takes it as an opportunity to attack her staff or slate other competitors. She says she doesn’t speak badly of other agencies in the same sentence however that’s her only chat, it’s so boring.

March 9, 2019Managing Director

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Unfortunately the majority of your review is factually inaccurate and reads like many defamatory reviews across the recruitment industry. Recruitment is never easy and a difficult market requires a more consultative approach less boiler room sales, therefore not everyone is suited to this market. Hopefully you have found a role that suits your skill set and is a better cultural fit.

"These negative reviews frustrate me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Charterhouse has great incentives available, to motive and encourage employees. From the Big Billers incentive trip, to the internal incentives such as; Sky dive, pool deck at the Burj Al Arab, even the simple things; ‘works drinks’ on a Thursday. *Actively encouraged to be entrepreneurial *Decent salaries *The best medical ive had since living in Dubai

Cons

A lot of people move to Dubai for the wrong reasons then wonder why things do not work out and are quick to blame the people around them instead of owning up. I see this first hand and my advice is make sure you understand that the market is harder here than in the UK and yes the ‘lifestyle’ out here beats the rain and dull sights of the UK but to succeed in Dubai you have to set yourself short & long term goals and think towards the future.

"The worst company I’ve ever worked for"

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time

Pros

Dubai, it’s a lovely city

Cons

Quite like the other locations, the Dubai office has a complete lack of leadership and management skills. Management aren’t trained and don’t have a clue what they’re doing. The brand is barely holding on in the market across the last two years whilst other agencies absolutely smash it. This is because the management like to play games and manipulate the consultants until they leave so turnover is incredibly high. There’s no clear promotional structure it’s just whoever the MD takes a good liking to. Both clients and candidates pity you for working at this agency. You’ll also end up spending most of your working week here as additional hours for no need are expected to impress management. Work hard work hard culture.

January 28, 2018Managing Director

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I agree Dubai is an incredible city with a lot on offer. It is never nice to hear that someone has not had a good experience at Charterhouse and I do hope that you have secured a new role that makes you happy, perhaps with one of the companies "smashing it", I am sure those 'deals" will be coming your way. The Management team always make an effort to ensure staff are supported and in terms of working long hours to impress management, that certainly isn't the case, this is utter nonsense. Recruitment is a sales role, you get out what you put in. You would be right that a couple of members of the management team are great at a game of office ping pong. An interesting comment regarding clients and candidates feeling sorry for you working at Charterhouse, when Charterhouse is currently one of the lead recruitment providers for several of the largest projects in the region so perhaps they have missed the news from the clients that pitied you.

"Honest"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Dubai

I have been working at Charterhouse Partnership full-time for more than a year

Pros

Okay, so to start with some background; I'm a principal consultant at Charterhouse Dubai, which is basically the entry level recruitment consultant for the business (I'm not management, senior management or magic circle). I've been here for just under 18 months in a fairly difficult market, my billings have been average. I’ve never used Glassdoor or been pressured to write a review by my seniors, however after reading some fairly strong negative reviews I thought I’d throw some honesty into this, hopefully it will give people a good outside view into my experience. Positives - The CHME brand is strong, new recruits can often enjoy the luxury of being passed good jobs just by sitting in their seat. Which is great when you’re also generating your own business as expected. This is obviously dependent on the desk you join…. It also helps when bringing on new clients. - Strong team, we genuinely only hire experienced consultants who are “switched on characters”. The second you walk into our office you can tell everyone is of the right frame of mind, work hard and achieve success. - Stable senior management – 4 Directors have been with Charterhouse for a combined 40 years or something ridiculous. Yes we have turnover, who doesn’t? Recruitment has natural turnover, Dubai even more so. I’d say in my 18 months here the amount of valuable people who have left for competitors are minimal if any. - Commission scheme will pay you out. Maybe tailored to people billing higher numbers, but most are. As mentioned before I’ve not been a huge biller but I have had AED 40k commission cheque put in my hand. - There is always an incentive, yearly trip to Tokyo with the brand. Office quarterly incentive to Mauritius. Monthly target for a new suit. Weekly target for a free lunch. These things to me aren’t a selling point, I wouldn’t consider it when choosing a company, but it’s always nice when you win something for free. - HR. We’re a small company, we don’t employ a staff of 20 in HR. What they do is offer what counts. If its relocating, visa applications, medical insurance or setting up your bank account – this sounds like standard stuff but you’d be surprised how much of this isn’t available at other companies. - Back office – We have about 1 admin staff for every 4 consultants. Leaves you to focus on billing. - Nice office space If you want to work hard and make a success out of yourself, CHME will genuinely give you all the tools to make that happen. I often find myself spending time with them outside of the office as we have a good team culture. I work within the construction department and my director/manager has been the same since I joined. We have a good personal and working relationship. If we need to have a conversation around work it is done professionally and doesn’t affect the office atmosphere.

Cons

- Life is harder if you go long periods without performing, there is no hiding from that. However I feel the views on this topic in previous reviews are slightly unjust. it’s worth noting when reviewing performance, work effort is what is looked at second to figures. If someone is working hard and unfortunately the results haven’t followed, management will trust that your work will pay off eventually. - On the flip side, if you are showing very little effort the difficult conversations won’t take long to arrive.

Continue reading

"Great company with lots to offer"

I have been working at Charterhouse Partnership full-time

Pros

Great commission scheme Supportive Management In the Middle of Dubai with access to everything you could need professionally and personally Incentive schemes Team events Tax Free living Great team and everyone supports each other and feeds off each other

Cons

Deficit if you don't bill Starting a new desk in a difficult market

Continue reading
  10. "Charterhouse Middle East"

Current Employee - Administration Assistant in Dubai

I have been working at Charterhouse Partnership full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are very welcoming, work load is fair and no favoritism in the office which is a welcome change compared to my previous offices! Multi-culture office, loads of team insensitive very good! Office outings every month (all departments invited!) I've been in Dubai several years now and by far this is the best company I have worked for.

Cons

Only con is that its fairly far from my home and very hard to find parking but luckily there is the metro!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews