Choice Hotels Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 7 Dec 2020

3.9
Choice Hotels CEO Patrick Pacious
Patrick Pacious
Pros
Cons
  • "For contractors no benefits, No VISA sponsorship provided(in 29 reviews)

• "CHOICE incentives for front desk staff are usually just(in 16 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great culture, supportive management and room to grow"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere with an emphasis on professional development within the company. Opportunities for growth and learning new skills. Inclusive culture with regular client appreciation events. Good pay, good benefits, especially to. Great work life balance.

Cons

Upper management can be inaccessible and withholding. Change and new processes take a long time to get implemented if ever.

"Ok company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

bonus is only for management level

3. "Great company to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Has good work life balance

Cons

They could give yearly bonus

4. "Great company, culture, leadership, perks and benefits"

Current Employee - Director of Franchise Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commission structure, leadership, autonomy, resources, work-life balance

Cons

Extensive travel, performance can be tied to overall health of the economy

"On Balance A Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Director, Brand Management in Rockville, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flat Org Structure, Good Pay, Work/Life Balance

Cons

Overly political, advancement not transparent and based on popularity

August 24, 2020Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to hear that Choice’s work-life balance has made a positive impression! We value your thoughts and will share them with the Human Resources team.

6. "good place to work"

Current Contractor - Senior DevOps Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels for more than a year

Pros

work life balance and always adapts new technology in market

Cons

wfh oppurtunity is limted to fte only not for contractors.

"not a terrible experience"

Former Employee - Revenue Analyst

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

corporate culture, work-life balance, pay

Cons

management who doesn't listen, hard to get ideas heard

April 27, 2020Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. People are Choice’s most valuable asset and we are pleased to hear that you enjoy our culture. We will share your feedback with our Human Resources team.

"Great resources for employees terrible sub-cultures departmentally"

Former Employee - Franchise Sales & Support Specialist in Rockville, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for less than a year

Pros

People there were friendly and hardworking Great office facilities Promotes work-life balance Very racially diverse and skillset diverse

Cons

Each department runs completely differently. There isn't a unified company culture and most are often unaware of what's happening company-wide. They also are big on hiring temp workers that they like to bring in and dispose of frequently and it disturbs team synergy. Terrible onboarding process.

Continue reading

April 27, 2020Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking your time to provide your review. We strive to foster an environment where associates can feel welcome, wanted, and respected. Your comments are valuable to us, and as such, will be reviewed by Human Resources.

"Once a great place to work and grow; now overworked, low morale, high turnover rate"

Former Employee - Senior UNIX Systems Administrator

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great. Direct managers treat their team and neighboring teams very well and most will fight for their reports. Everyone under infrastructure work together extremely well. Fairly open environment that allows learning on the job (within reason). (Most) leadership are open to feedback. (Only some) Infrastructure managers will provide feedback to you and other reports that will benefit your career, including communication skills. You are given a chance to move into different roles such as management or go across different teams (you can also promote within, but it is difficult and time consuming). Some engineers have great documentation that help immensely when trying to solve issues or build new architectures and features to benefit the enterprise.

Cons

Infrastructure department is treated terribly by all other departments and upper department heads. Teams outside of the infrastructure department are treated better and are given priority over infrastructure teams. Open office plan caused reduction in work and morale - infrastructure department sits where the call center used to be. Too much noise. Too many meetings. Despite the advancement of technology, work from home is still seen as an "unnecessary evil" by some leadership. Unless you are in the pockets of department/senior leadership and have "management/corporate speak" by drinking the corp. koolaid, prepare to have your professional opinion ignored (even with documentation to back your case up and great communication skills). In some cases, even consultants that are hired to tell leadership the same things that you (or the engineers) have been concerned or have complained about are treated much, much better. Evidence and documentation is ignored by non-infrastructure departments and leadership. Lack of communication between departments - infrastructure is always the last to be queried for opinions or thoughts, if ever. Work-life balance is only "good" when you are not in infrastructure; leadership says they don't "expect you" to work over 40 hours a week, but because you keep being pulled away, you will have to. See next point. Time management is an afterthought by some leadership (note, not all) - Be prepared to be ostracized for being unable to complete a deadline even when leadership keeps pulling you away for other day-to-day tasks or to meetings that could've been a simple email. It is near impossible to cross-train your team because of the lack of overall time management. Single points of failures are common. Tasks and procedures that can be performed by or handed off to the service desk or the NOC were brought back to infrastructure, increasing load on affected teams. Infrastructure department is completely overworked. Information Security is unwilling to assist in basic enterprise needs, such as role based access or proactive security demands that meet today's standards. Training is provided, but only if it fits within a very small budget that maybe pays for one person - You can "train" on online academies, if you're lucky and have time. Otherwise you have to do it after hours, but this defeats the purpose of "work-life balance" - Even with "dedicated days/times", day-to-day tasks and interruptions take precedence. Employees are quick to burn out. HR does not attempt to be competitive in pay; subpar compensation - it is often difficult to transition to other positions or roles; you have to "apply" for a promotion for example, which is wholly unnecessary. Only a few HR associates are friendly and helpful. High turn over rate overall.

Continue reading

March 19, 2020Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback. We take these concerns seriously and will share your thoughts with HR and the executive leadership. Thank you, again, and we wish you the best of luck in the future!

10. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great and work life balance is fantastic

Cons

Little below average on the pay scale for

May 26, 2020Employer Brand Manager