Cinesite Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Aug 15, 2019

Found 43 reviews

3.4
Antony Hunt
Pros
  • "It's the place to be in Montreal(in 6 reviews)

• "They have a good team spirit and try to keep a good work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The projects are really low budget with poor stories and the directors do not look really competent(in 6 reviews)

• "The management team is largely incompetent, particularly senior management(in 4 reviews)

1. "Nice work environment"

I worked at Cinesite

Pros

Great coworkers Lots of projects going on Nice facility Nice cheeky beers and parties Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Salary is lower than the market rates A bit disorganized Overtime isn't 1.5x Pipeline tools could be improved Maya isn't good for lighting

Advice to Management

I think it's a great studio overall, maybe some bigger budgets for animated movies but it's a start.

Cinesite2019-08-15
  2. "More or less fine"

Former Employee - Animator in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Cinesite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life, great amenities and benefits.

Cons

The culture is a little strange, feels more like an office then a creative place. People tend to show up work then go home. No real social/fun atmosphere.

Cinesite2019-07-19
  3. "Fun project, great team, enjoyed my time there very much!"

Former Employee - Shot Finalist in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Cinesite full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Open and accepting environment: They make it well known they are a studio that has zero tolerance for harassment. They take the extra step to confirm your pronouns when you interview with them and when they hire you. It is of high priority to create an environment that does not tolerate discrimination against anyone’s age, gender, sexual orientation, disabilities, or otherwise. -Friendly coworkers: Talented individuals...

Cons

-Unclear about the upcoming projects and extending employment within the company: I understand it was a busy time, but there was never any real indication from the superiors or management if there was going to be a new project to be rolled onto after my contract had ended. -Assets between studios were not always compatible: The project I had worked on had shared assets between two different studios whose pipelines were...

Advice to Management

Try to be a bit more transparent about possible upcoming projects so people know if they have to look for future employment elsewhere ahead of time. Work on synching up your pipeline and workflow techniques with your other studios if you are looking to distribute the work of the projects between studios again. Otherwise, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your future films.

Cinesite2019-06-28
  4. "It's okay for a start"

Former Employee - 3D Animator in Montreal, QC

I worked at Cinesite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great lead animators and animation directors. Positive people to work with

Cons

Super french clicky thing. They talk a lot about Quebec should separate from Canada, lots of weird language politics, makes you feel unconfortable when youre an outsider. I even saw people with the picture of the Queen with holes on it on their desks. They are not mean people but they should not talk about this at work. Most movie you work on don't even have a publisher yet so the movie might never comes out.

Advice to Management

Just say that employes should keep their political points of view at home.

Cinesite2019-04-14
  5. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at Cinesite full-time

Pros

Some of the artists are lovely!

Cons

HR is a mess, they will low ball you and bully you into feeling like you should just be grateful to have a job. Management will ask more of you than the role you are being paid to do. Thé films they work on in feature animation are so low budget and look like they were rendered in a video game engine. The films take years to release after their completion so be prepared to work on your reel outside of working here.

Advice to Management

Do not ask more than what you are paying people to do without consulting HR that the artists level can be changed.

Cinesite2019-04-01

"Up your game... it's 2019, not 1994."

Current Employee - Animator in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Cinesite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment. The 4 low budget, high seconds/week films are thankfully almost completed. Now (March 2019) the higher budget, quality, fewer seconds/week films are beginning. Pipeline is pretty good. Awesome production co-ordinators (and other middle-management)

Cons

The 4 sub-standard films, mentioned above, made the early years very frustrating for the artists. Old computers.

Advice to Management

$20,000,000 per film is NOT the "sweet spot"! Audiences of 2019 have come to expect more than the sub-par quality films. Many many times, one film looked cheaper than a video-game from the early 2000's. How can a modern day studio have a CFX (cloth/hair sim/efx etc) department of 2 artists? WTH?

Cinesite2019-03-06
  7. "Positive atmosphere and accomodating management"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Cinesite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and very nice people to work with ! I love my job as a receptionist and the challenges that come with it. Most people are super friendly and well behaved. I aspire to climb up the ladder and feel supported in that way. Management team is accommodating and willing to compromise.

Cons

Not good if you can't handle working in a fast-paced environment.

Advice to Management

Team spirit is the key to success !

Cinesite2019-02-26

"No prospects"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Cinesite full-time for less than a year

Pros

At times it could be fun

Cons

Very dysfunctional with a particularly antiquated attitude towards most things. Limited future visibility backed up by empty promises. The management team is largely incompetent, particularly senior management. No investment in training

Advice to Management

Establish a stronger culture and show some care for your employees rather than treating them as another bum on a seat to turn over shots

Cinesite2019-03-29
  9. "Good work environment"

I have been working at Cinesite full-time

Pros

Peaceful and cozy work environment, have complementaries, tries to invest employees. Having projects constantly.

Cons

Still in the process of developing overall.

Cinesite2019-01-20

"Micromanaging and no caring at all for the Runners"

Former Employee - Runner in Montreal, QC

I worked at Cinesite full-time for less than a year

Pros

The artists are super cool and welcoming !

Cons

Micromanaging and nightmare time for a Runner

Advice to Management

Even if you give your 110% and exceed the expectation as a Runner, the management team will always find something wrong about you, they don't care at all about the team spirit and the trust is so essential to have in a team and most of all toward your lead. The Runner position is not something complicated. Everyone can do it but for them, they will give you a hard time about it ; constant micromanaging on every task they...

Cinesite2019-02-08