Citizens Foundation for Better India Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Citizens Foundation for Better India Reviews

2.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It was a life changing experience... Immense exposure"

Former Employee - Associate in Noida
    Former Employee - Associate in Noida

Pros

If you have ideas, you are creative, you are motivated.. you will get exposure and responsibilities you can't even dream of. You get to meet and share/present your ideas to big corporates, big NGOs, bureaucrats, and even ministers.
    Cool atmosphere, just as you can expect in a start-up where average age of employees is just 25-26.
    Very competitive diverse sets of people, with wide knowledge and good experience.

Cons

If you are not pro-active, no body will give a damn about you. you will feel left out.
    Management is yet to be structured properly
    You might have to miss a lot of weekends and might have to burn a lot of mid night oil.
    Male-Female ratio is too bad. 60:10
    Lacks experienced employees

Advice to Management

You can Outsource various internal process to vendors and focus on your core competencies.

2. "The organization is trying to do something, which seemed difficult till recent times, and key will be the team"

Current Employee - Associate in Noida

Pros

Kind of exposure, freedom of thinking creative programs, satisfaction of seeing your work impacting lives on-ground, working with some really creative and passionate people, work-environment and kind of project we are pursuing.

Cons

The team has transitioned from a flat structure(everyone at same level) to hierarchical structure and with the kind of job we do, it's also important to conserve the start-up culture we possess. Hence, the HR policies, structures, have to a little extent failed to incorporate views of everyone.

Advice to Management

We should not lose out on the start-up-cum-corporate culture, we have been able to garner since the start. A good HR team will help a lot in ensuring the same as we grow big.

"Joining this company will likely spell doom for your career if you have any hopes of growing or learning new skills."

Current Employee - Associate in Noida

I have been working at Citizens Foundation for Better India full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cant really think of any pros of joining this organization. I have heard from several people that at one point of time, people from IITs, IIMs and best universities in USA and UK used to work here, but I only see a freshers from a few IITs right now and people from Tier 2 and Tier 3 colleges.

Cons

It is like a college dorm where a few underqualified and unskilled people dictate and change rules, job scopes and what not. Till date, I have not been paid my salary on time or been given the kind of work that I was promised. I see my colleagues being bored by mundane work which, frankly, any Class 12 pass can do.

The concept of promotions or career growth doesn't exist here. The entrenched club of graduates who currently control the organization, will continue to control it in the foreseeable future.I am yet to see the "dynamic, young organization that is changing India" that they advertise and use to attract employees.

Join this organization only if you are desperate and have no other options. You arent going to grow at this place and neither are you likely to enjoy your stay here.

Advice to Management

That is a fruitless exercise. Giving advise to people who dont care is a waste of energy and time.

4. "Life-changing experience"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Noida

Pros

1. Some of the most brilliant people I have ever met from diverse set of backgrounds
    2. Great exposure - working alongside stakeholders across the spectrum - from government, corporates, NGOs, communities etc
    3. The perfect mix between a corporate and a NGO (more like a start-up)
    4. The organization rewards merit more than background, qualifications and age

Cons

1. Work-life balance is not too great for people who are looking for a stable life. Lot of travel and lots of changes keep happening.
    2. Work is ambiguous because there is not a specific product that the company is providing and it does not stop at consulting which might not suit people who come from super structured backgrounds.
    3. Change management given that it is an extremely fast growing start up organization

Advice to Management

Company is at a stage where it can move from being a start up to a full fledged company so probably spend more time strengthening processes. Moving from people based to systems based approach of managing

"I feel cheated and let down after leaving a good job to come here"

Current Employee - Associate in Noida

Pros

Free coffee is available in the office. There are some intelligent people you get to network with over here. It is a relatively secure job too.

Cons

Draconian rules about half a day's salary deducted if you are 30 mins late, full day's if you are an hour late. Saturdays are working days unofficially though they are supposed to be holidays. They promise you a certain amount of pay when you join, but only pay you about half of the promised amount every month. There are no major projects for the company and it is in bad financial shape.

The management is arrogant and doesn't care about the employees. People are insulted routinely and made to feel as if the organization is doing them a favour by retaining them. The middle management routinely belittles the junior employees and takes all the credit for their work.

Overall, I would not come to this organization if I were a prospective employee again.

Advice to Management

Start keeping your promises and stop breaking so many labour laws. The laws of the land must be respected and contracts must have sanctity. Start treating your employees like human beings.

"Do not join else you will repent within a week"

I worked at Citizens Foundation for Better India full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a lot of good reasons to work here prior to elections. But now neither the team being boasted about exists nor interesting projects

Cons

The level of politics played here is juvenile simply because the people chosen to lead the organization are highly immature and treat the organization like its their college dorm. No process in place to assist employers in any way as that would mean losing power that the few individuals hold in the firm. There is no induction and irrespective of your skills and background, you will be playing the role of a glorified intern because the project and programme manager roles will have been taken up by people with less than 2-3 yrs of work experience. All the rules in the organization favour the management and will be bent whenever it benefits them. The worst of it all, you will be spending time with your colleagues 24/7 as you are coerced into living with them. The person leading the organization is the only one who knows what the organization's goals are, since he does not share this with anybody. Every 15 days he will walk in and ask you to make a PPT for a brand new project within 5 days, which will be iterated for months together and after 4-5 months the project will be cancelled with it never becoming more than a presentation. In the meanwhile you are given false happiness of being a PM and you and your team would have slogged night and day for it.

Advice to Management

Advice is given to people who do not realize where they are going wrong not for those who are not willing to address their mistakes and take appropriate steps

"Warning to freshers and experienced alike: You will get stuck at a very bad work-place with no exit options"

Current Employee - Associate in Noida

Pros

There are no pros left. Smart aspiring people whose degrees and background are shown on website and Pre-placement talks have all left the organisation. Their expectations were thrashed by senior management. The presentation being shown on campus-recruitment drives and job description on websites would fool people easily. You would think that you are getting into an awesome organisation and will work with awesome people, but the reality has changed at "grassroot level" within organisation.

Cons

Really bad "Indian Culture" of working - slow, bureaucratic and lots of politics. Freshers specially would start hating jobs in such a setting. Hence don't make it your first job at all.
    No Experienced Leadership within organisation
    No exit options

Advice to Management

Have done enough times but its a hopeless situation

"Yet another avatar of Citizens for Accountable Governance"

Current Employee - Associate in Noida

Pros

Just as with the previous version of the same organization, some extremely smart people work here, though that is changing as people leave. Be that as it may, the organization still offers people the chance to work with some very intelligent people.

Cons

The quality of management is very poor, with no sanctity for promises made to employees. Salaries that are promised are not paid, with lower amounts being paid in a delayed manner. Several vendors and ex-employees are owed large amounts of money by the organization and it doesn't look like they will get paid.

The roles are not structured, with people having overlapping responsibilities. This encourages a large amount of infighting and internal politics- thus enabling the top management to have a free-reign.

Policies are changed as and when the management feels like doing so, sometimes with retrospective effect- thus creating a lot of confusions and resentment among employees.

Advice to Management

Start paying people on time and clearly demarcating job roles. This will lead to a better team dynamic.

"Would not have joined had I known the real story"

Pros

I frankly can't think of any major positives except that it is in the NCR region. You could possibly say that some of the people are quite smart, but I dont understand why they are still with the company - maybe the lack of better options or an emotional bond with the company.

Cons

It is unbelievable - the divergence between the stated policies and their implementation. To start with, they did not give a formal offer letter or an employment contract till I bugged them about it. Post that, I have till date not been paid my salary on time or been given the promised increment. I have never seen a company that cheats you on promised salary.

The office environment is very depressing - with people fighting and cribbing all the time. I don't see how some of the people in-charge got there given that they are neither founders not the most experienced nor highly skilled in any way.

I am told that vendors and ex employees keep following up over their dues unpaid reimbursements and this makes me feel that they will do the same to me once I leave.

Advice to Management

I have no idea what to say to a management that doesn't even seem to want to improve things.

"Shameless cheats and completely immature organization. A major red flag for any professional. AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Noida

Pros

There was a time when they managed to lure in some top talent. Some of them are still here, and the processes set by them are still here. For a fresher, there is some learning from them and those processes. There is some exposure to government and political projects which cannot be gotten as easily.

Cons

Nearly all the things told to us at the time of interviews and selection have been lies. Complete overstatements of salaries, responsibilities, projects, transparency etc.
    There is no training when we join, just some repetitive self boasting of what they've done in the past.
    "Leaders" are decided at random, without justification and truly only by a few people. No new-comers, regardless of their caliber or the promises made to them, are elevated to leadership. Micromanagement and miniscule, inconsequential mistakes are pointed out to bury them down
    Policies are made at the whims and fancies of people in these "leadership" positions. If they're late to work, the late times are shifted. If they need saturdays off, that happens. I am yet to understand how some of the people have been recognized as the executive level leaders, despite being underqualified, immature, unskilled and having no real talent or experience in management of a company

Advice to Management

Frankly i have no advice for them. I cannot think of how they can improve this company from the point that it is right now. The so called leaders will not take any advice, as they want to maintain their positions of power. It is a matter of time that this organization implodes.