Cloudera Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.2
Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good room for work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Many smart people, especially on technical teams e (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be tough here, but it isn't in any way forced from management (in 18 reviews)

• Growing pains as with any company that's expanded as quickly as Cloudera has, but management has done a good job of addressing those as they've arisen (in 27 reviews)

"It is a better company to work!!...."

Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Chennai
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Chennai

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a company where lot of innovation happens
    It is a company with full of great people like Doug Cutting, Yonik, Tom White etc...
    It offers career growth for every individual.
    It is a pioneer in the Hadoop Distribution (CDH)
    It contributes lot of projects to the open source world.
    It is best company for every engineer.

Cons

Interview process is a bit slow.
    A few facilities for India employees.

Advice to Management

For India employees, provide the accommodation at the time of joining. Start office in a few more locations in India like Bangalore.

2. "Customer Operations Engineer"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

so far all is good

Cons

no Cons since everything fine

"Pre-sales Engineer"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

It rocks.. Innovative, leader in what we do.

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

Stay Hungry , Stay Foolish.

"Fantastic Company. Highly Recommend."

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Cloudera (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent, transparent CEO leadership and communication
    - Many smart people, especially on technical teams e.g. engineering, support, services, product
    - Became a much more sales-oriented culture in the final year I was there
    - Lots of upward mobility in sales organization

Cons

- Leaderships needs to continue to push our values and transparent culture

6. "Awesome Place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Budapest (Hungary)
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn new things.
    Satisfaction on your work day. Very good work life balance. Very respectful coworkers. There is always a door open for you to improve your work and grow within cloudera.

Cons

I haven't experienced one till now.

7. "A dream company!"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honest and transparent management, good pay rates, flexibility, WFH is always an open option, great PTOs, awesome knowledgeable people,

Cons

None. Everything seems to be great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Solid company with room for improvement in the area of company culture"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Cloudera is a solid company with solid engineering practices, a wealth of enterprise experience on staff, and the best machine learning/data analysis platform available. No doubt they are and will continue to be a success.

Cons

However, there are two areas where it's time they started paying attention: 1) quality of front-line managers; 2) sexism throughout most levels of the organization. Interestingly, these two problem areas feed each other. I've heard front-line managers openly make racist remarks--not worker bees, but managers, who represent the company. For example, I heard a manager of a team of 14 employees make the following remark openly without lowering his voice, "It would be a lot better if there weren't so many <color> people in PA!" When this male manager said this, everyone around him looked uncomfortable, but he is a manager--none felt they could really correct him. I've also heard managers openly diss people who report to them to other direct reports on their team. Seems like a real morale-killing practice. Who wouldn't think to themselves, "Wow, I wonder what they say about me when I'm not in the room?" As for sexism, it's like a heavy blanket lying over the building at times. It's subtle. After all, most Cloudera employees are well educated, intelligent, and quite sophisticated, but it is clear that women have to be at least 50% to 75% better at anything to be "part of the team." This kind of pervasive sexism, leads to "Queen Bee" behavior so that even the few female leaders who are brought on, respond to the sexism by trying to distance themselves from other women and by trying to be "one of the boys."

Advice to Management

* To read about this Queen Bee behavior and why it happens, see an article in The Atlantic magazine online archive from June 2016, "Why Women (Sometimes) Don't Help Other Women."

* Make sure all front-line managers are trained regularly on employment law and on the management behaviors that foster an engaged workforce.

As far as I know, there are no "Uber-like" situations at Cloudera, but you have a lot of work to do in these two areas if you want to become the enduring company you aspire to.

Cloudera Response

1 Aug 2017 – Vice President, HR

Thank you for your review. Cloudera values an open and transparent workplace. While we appreciate your feedback, it's upsetting to see this review without having the ability to address the issues... More

"Great place to begin sales career. Limited upward mobility."

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good access to tools. Managers are super friendly. You're selling cool technology with awesome impact on other businesses. Awesome location - austin is an amazing city, with lots to do. 3 min walk away from capital. Free food 2 days a week. Gym membership covered. Cool office space. Respectful of religion, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, etc. People are very friendly.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. They sell you hard on the fact that there's tons of growth and how sales dev reps have moved into amazing roles (a closing role, or a marketing role, or enablement) in other departments but it all happened during the hiring frenzy before the IPO. Now it's stagnant. They expect you to stay in role 18+ months before considering you for other roles. The hard part: No real solid plans to move you into new roles, rather they "put out fires as they come".
    Commission structure changes if you over-perform. Happened to a few people since I've started. Sad.
    No real training. It's a swim or drown set up. Rather than blame poor performance on crap training, they blame you. The tech is complex, data scientists barely understand how the tech works.. and yet they expect you to know it.. please.
    When managers ask for feedback, they're really keeping an eye out to see if you're going to leave, rather than try to improve the work environment.
    No matching plans.. hard when you have a spouse and a mortgage to think about.

Advice to Management

Be open, be honest. You say you want us to grow with Cloudera yet all the SDRs hear is you talk about is what people should do if they want to leave Cloudera. Why are you talking about our exit strategy?! Start talking about positions or skills we should be cultivating instead.

"High quality company"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cloudera feels like a high quality company. They don't cut corners, they invest in the right places, the management team is experienced. It's also a friendly culture full of smart people.

Cons

The hours can be long and unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating.

11. "A place to learn, grow and contribute"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Pros

You will get a chance to work on cutting-edge technologies and also contribute to open source while doing so. You will get exposure to lot of opportunities within as new initiatives are being launched on time to time basis.

Cons

The work can get overwhelming given that Cloudera is in growth stage and lot of initatives got launched within company

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work going.