Cloudera Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 29 May 2019

4.0
Cloudera President and Chief Executive Officer Rob Bearden
Rob Bearden
Pros
  • "Great people and work life balance(in 34 reviews)

• "A leading big data company, and the only one remaining Hadoop era company(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As with all start-ups that go IPO, there are some growing pains and there is a need to roll up sleeves(in 30 reviews)

• "Work life balance can be difficult to maintain at points(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lots of going on - keep it up

29 May 2019 - Senior Engineering Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

All that you can imagine - you are in the best possible time to be in this company to shape its future and get part of something that can change the whole industry

Cons

Would say that the rush on the merge can cause some growing pains that we will need to fix later on.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Excellent Work environment and highly tech people

2 Feb 2019 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, Open culture, free lunch

Cons

Growing pains, company is going through too many internal changes.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 5.0

smart people, good pay

8 Jan 2016 - Techie In Field Customer Enablement
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people. Like, seriously crazy-smart. But also friendly and helpful. A start-up with a start-up atmosphere...but 1000+ employees so without the start-up rollercoaster. Cutting edge technology in the fast growing field of big data processing and analytics = great resume fodder. Lots of room for personal advancement. Good room for work/life balance. (Although I'm remote...if you are working at the headquarters in Palo Alto you might have a different experience.)

Cons

The technology is growing and changing so fast it's hard to keep your head around it all; it can be overwhelming and disheartening to realize stuff you mastered six months ago is now obsolete. The company is also growing and there are the usual growing pains. It can be hard to find "experts" to help you, not because they don't wish to be helpful, but because they are thin on the ground, as half the company was hired in the last 12-18 months. Also everyone is busy, there's way more work to go around than people to do it, so you have to set firm personal boundaries to maintain good work-life balance: no one is going to prompt you to stop work at the end of the day or take a vacation.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Been an awesome ride so far

29 Sep 2016 - Senior Sales Engineer in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of chance to learn new things Responsive product management - great to have meaningful feedback to the product Best senior management I have worked with in my 24 years in the industry - they are open, interested in talking to leaf nodes like me, insightful, willing to change direction to respond to customers and industry trends, honest, and funny.

Cons

Lots of people complain about work life balance. But given we have unlimited R&R, it is really your job to make the time and take enough time off to recharge your batteries. (I take about 5 to 6 weeks a year and totally disconnect from e-mail for at least 2 of them) The rate of growth of the company and customer acquisition is straining many organizations, but the company has been responding with great onboarding for sales and SEs, and adding another site to being in more customer technical support people. Standard growing pains for an enterprise technical company is hypergrowth mode. (grow or die in an fast growing market)

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Great People, Great Culture, Bright Future

23 Jan 2016 - Systems Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. The People - Cloudera has curated the best workforce in the industry. That being said, I've never run into anyone with a ego here. Everyone is willing to help. 2. Leadership - Cloudera's leadership is well respected within and outside of the company. In addition to that, they are very open and approachable. I never feel like I'm "in the dark" at Cloudera. 3. Integrity - Cloudera is in a highly competitive field, yet remains committed to customers. Quality and customer satisfaction are held in the same regard has financial performance.

Cons

Cloudera has and continues to grow at lightning speed. With that comes the typical growing pains. For example, there aren't always pre-defined processes or documentation that can assist you in your role.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Amazing Company!

16 Feb 2015 - Sales Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cloudera is an amazing company to work for. I have been at Cloudera for over three years and every year has been an experience. Cloudera is a company that truly respects its employees and their career aspirations, they promote internally and do not block cross team movement. The executive team is amazing to work with. The are not only supportive, but very accessible. I plan on staying at Cloudera for many years to come.

Cons

Cloudera has the same challenges you find at any fast moving company(I would like to say startup, but we are quite large now). The biggest downside to working at Cloudera is the growing pains. There is a lot of reorganization and employee structure movement as the company continues to grow. In the long run it will be for the best, but for the short term it adds some distraction from the day to day.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Solve hard problems with great people

30 Oct 2014 - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have never worked with smarter or more driven people. That knowledge and drive is needed to help our customers solve the problems they are facing. We cover customers ranging from Financial, Medical, Retail, Agriculture, Ecommerce, Technology, and Media just to name a few. The chance to be part of the team that helps such a wide variety of environments use ALL of their data to do things they never thought possible is a unique one. Coming to work here is never boring.

Cons

As with any company experiencing hyper growth, there can be growing pains along the way. We have run out of space a couple times and getting conference room can sometimes feel like you’ve won a gold medal (aside from No Meeting Wednesdays when they are ample). Thankfully we are expanding in both our Palo Alto and San Francisco.

1 person found this review helpful

Cloudera Response

Operations Specialist

With our rapid hiring, finding enough room for all the great employees is always a challenge! Thankfully, the new building in Palo Alto will be opening up very soon!

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company going through major growing pains

11 Aug 2016 - Business Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great tech. Smart people. Great founders. Free snacks and lunch to pack on the lbs. Fun activities both corporate sponsored and grassroots. The employee culture is great. I would have beers with my coworkers any day.

Cons

Going through some major growing pains. Moving from being tactical to strategic has been a difficult transition. Individual contributors are moved into management with no training. And to deal with uncertainty and ambiguity these managers default to blaming and micro-managing. It's demoralizing. I joined company expecting to learn and do a lot, but opportunities are limited and individual growth is stunted.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This place is the REAL DEAL for a Pre-IPO High tech start up with a long successful future a head

16 Feb 2015 - Account Executive in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Cloudera for just over a year as an Account Executive. Starting from the Sales Kick Off meeting in 2014 it was evident that there were lots of smart people and that they (we) were all having fun together. Very team oriented feel - celebrating lots of successes vs. the competition. For a relatively 'small' company that is Pre-IPO the executive staff are absolutely polished, professional, accomplished - AND approachable (Had a 20 minute informal chat 1:1 with Tom Reilly, CEO my first night). The new hire training was very challenging and excellent. I had been through IBM new hire training and Cisco Systems new hire training and this was on the same level of quality). I came out of the training very comfortable with the Cloudera, our position in the industry and how we are different from the competition, but more importantly why customers are gravitating to Cloudera over the competition.EVeryone from the CEO and sr. Staff as well as Engineering and Committers, Data Scientist, Consultants (who are frequently contributors or committers) and management from our WW Support organization are all available for customer meetings. The market for Hadoop is really heating up so I am looking forward to the future with the leader in Hadoop! This is a very cool and special time to be at Cloudera.

Cons

Any of the cons have been pretty much start up growing pains (Expense reporting system was poor - but have since switched and if is much easier and reliable to submit expenses). This underscores the feel of the company - being hyper focused on listening to customers and to employees and being committed to making changes to address challenges and continue building for the future.

6 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Dynamic start-up, great team, excellent product & market leaders

21 Oct 2014 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

As market leaders, everybody wants to talk to Cloudera about their Hadoop solution. The product is excellent and is the team behind it do amazing work to keep it at the front of the pack. There is a real buzz inside the company,and the wider team is brilliant. Everybody who works here is the best at what they do, which makes Cloudera a great place to work

Cons

There are still a few growing pains, for example no pension scheme in EMEA. Sometimes rigid processes and structure make for an efficient working environment - they're not established in other regions (yet) as they are in the US, but that's improving all the time.

1 person found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 Reviews

Popular Careers with Cloudera Job Seekers

Software Engineer
    JobsSalariesInterviews
    Customer Operations Engineer
    Software Development Engineer
    Learn About the Job
    Software Engineer In Test (SDET)
    Software Development Engineer II