Columbia Investment Partners Reviews

Updated 15 Jan 2020

2.6

"You have been warned"

I have been working at Columbia Investment Partners full-time

Pros

There are literally no pros to working here

Cons

Very rude management who is condescending, rude and micromanages Toxic culture Low pay Actual work is very different from what was originally promised Company turnover is very high and people dont stay more than a few weeks

Continue reading
  2. "Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Analyst in Singapore

I have been working at Columbia Investment Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exposure to multiple facets of Asset Management Motivating environment Allows for mistakes and chances to learn

Cons

Very paperwork oriented Alot of figuring out yourself - can be a pro if you are keen on such

Continue reading

"Private equity firm dealing in real estate investments"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Columbia Investment Partners

Pros

Mentorship - I was under the direct mentorship of the Head of Asset Management & Development, Dominic, during my internship. I had the opportunity to interact with him on a daily basis. He was wiling to guide and provided tips and advice on how to approach the different problems you face at work. Most importantly, I was given the freedom to make certain decisions at work and my mentor was prepared to support me as long as I could back them up with proper reasoning. Working Environment - Hands-on approach and not your typical analyst role where you are just churning out data. Everyone at work were highly motivated. Colleagues across different department were patient and willing to answer any of your questions despite their busy schedule at work. Close-knit relationship among colleagues and rather lively working environment. Not a typical dull office corporate environment. Everyone has lunch together on a daily basis too. Benefits - Should not be a deciding factor when joining this firm. But in my opinion, employment benefits is fair and sufficient. Do not worry. Opportunities - The firm is expanding globally and you will have the opportunity to work overseas if you proven yourself to be capable enough. Plenty of opportunities to interact with the founder of the firm. If you do find yourself truly enjoying what you do, the firm will provide ample opportunities for you to develop as a person and career-wise. My 3 months internship with the firm was a positive experience. The negative reviews on Glassdoor were found to be grossly inaccurate and I enjoyed my time with the firm overall. Would advise potential applicants to not be put off by the inaccurate negative reviews and experience it yourself. But do not waste everyone's time if you are joining the firm just for the glamour of working at a PE firm. Willing to share my experience at the firm only if you are truly interested in what the firm is doing. You may contact me at 8 four 8 four zero zero 6 7.

Cons

- The firm is expanding globally, you may be expected to work slightly longer hours to accommodate the different timezones. - Results-oriented firm so be prepared to work at a faster pace than usual - Comments and feedback are direct at times from management team. But comments were reasonable and employees will be given the opportunity to explain themselves.

"Fair Opinion"

Former Intern - Real Estate Investment in Singapore

I worked at Columbia Investment Partners for less than a year

Pros

If you like to meet many new people, this is it. They recruit interns and full-timers regularly; however, since the new hires tend to only stay for a while, they have to hire again and you get to meet new people, again. Perfect? Office is located at a really prime area, beside swanky bars and pubs. Great vibes. Very near the subway too. Work is easy as ABC. Literally requires no brains and definitely doable with a PSLE certification.

Cons

In the short period I was there, I worked in the same office with about eight other people. I have not heard a single soul who praised their job or felt genuinely happy about their lives there. Of course, the other reviews here about the monetary compensation is painfully true, which is bordering modern slavery, but only if you consider what they DESCRIBE how the job is. The boss is almost always absent, because he delegates work to two of his prime minions. The top minion is supposedly smart and a scholar, but I felt that she was nowhere close to that reputation. When I asked the two minions why they decided to stay at this particular firm, they told me about autonomy and, most importantly, how their lives were on track to greatness and even greater financial benefits, buying into a grand dream spun by, I suppose, the boss. It felt like a story that a Nordic grandmother would tell her grandchildren, a story on how they fought and won the war against dragons constantly. The thing is I was sure that there weren't any treasures awaiting them behind the dragon. I love dragons but at least I know how to keep it real. The last I heard, they both left the firm. Deluded bunch. As I said, the office is in a prime area with fancy bars and pubs, places where other people from the CBD will overflow into once they end work. It really makes you wonder why you are still in the office, doing meaningless, repetitive work when you could be like the others at the bars/pubs, working in an actual decent firm and having the financial ability and option to be there. Job feels like a walk in the park. However, my advice is to ask yourself: What do I want out of here? Do you want to be in a true Real Estate Investment Firm? This might be, but you will be excluded from the actual process. So it doesn't exactly count, does it? Do you want to earn enough just for sandwiches with your girl/boyfriend? This would be it. Do you like clouds and fogs? Cause this would be the perfect for you cause you would feel like you are living in one, cause you see no future there. Most importantly, before you accept the job, ask the management this: WHAT CAN I PUT ON MY RESUME THAT WOULD APPEAL TO A COMPETITOR (hint: Blackstone) ? ie WHAT WILL I BE DOING HERE THAT BLACKSTONE WOULD WANT? If they cannot answer and/or cannot promise that what they say is what you will do, don't take the job. Go do yourself a favor and work for McDonalds.

"Do not join this company"

I have been working at Columbia Investment Partners full-time

Pros

There is nothing good about this company

Cons

Terrible management and culture. High churn as a result of top management treating staff like dirt- staff rarely stay on for more than 2 to 3 months.

"Worst company"

I worked at Columbia Investment Partners

Pros

No pros all, maybe just a little learning opportunity if you count that as a positive, but they exploit you for long hours and low pay

Cons

Disrespectful managers and senior management. Low pay long hours. Demeaning work

"Investment Analyst"

I have been working at Columbia Investment Partners full-time

Pros

1. Company with immense growth potential 2. Management provides invaluable advice and guidance 3. Many opportunities for personal and career development 4. Great colleagues 5. Great city to work and live in

Cons

1. Policies and procedures for operations are not well established 2. High Employee Turnover and lack of manpower as a result 3. Longer working hours as a result of the 3 reasons above

Continue reading

"A Investment firm focusing on Shophouses"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst

Pros

Interview Applied for the Investment Analyst Role. 2 rounds of interview – 1st round phone interview, 2nd round was a face to face interview with the Director of the company. Whole interview process and signing of contract took less than 2 weeks and received the expected increment. Working Experience - Working in a close knitted department, managing close to 30 shophouses in CBD area. - Opportunity to learn all aspects of real estate from Acquisition, Financing, Development, Management and Divestment. - Flat structure of company, allows direct mentorship from senior management, who are more often willing to teach, if one is willing to learn. - Colleagues are very capable, highly driven and work in a fast pace environment. - Opportunity to be posted to New York for exchange - Not a desk bound job, meetings with investment companies, clients, bankers, tenants, etc. - Less SOP compared to MNCs, approval usually takes a few days compared to weeks in MNCs - Company Car provided for traveling purposes - Macbook/Macbook Air provided to employees - Flexible working attire, able to wear Jeans and Polo tee to work - Everyday Lunch is heavily subsidies/free, company bonding lunch every Friday.

Cons

- Steep learning curve - Company welfare can be improved - Slightly long working hours

"STAY AWAY"

Former Employee - Private Equity Investment Analyst in Singapore

I worked at Columbia Investment Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rest of the staff are young and relatable. You get to meet people on the job.

Cons

High turnover because company gives false information to candidates during interviews. Company advertises that you will be an investment analyst but you would have to start doing irrelevant work, you are better off working elsewhere if you want to do banking. DO NOT THINK YOU WILL BE DOING INVESTMENT WORK. They will give you the idea of going to New York during your time here, don't be fooled because they will give you a very miserable package. Boss overbearing and arrogant. Poor employee benefits, poor work life balance and no HR Everything is a scam, so are the good reviews on this page.

Continue reading

"Close knit firm. Great opportunities if you are willing to work for it"

5.0
    Former Employee - Executive in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Columbia Investment Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is expanding hence there are many opportunities for progression. The company believes in young people and give many opportunities and rewards to staff who are keen to prove themselves and can produce the results. Strong mentionship culture and your superiors will point out to you what you had done well / need improvement on in a very honest manner. You have to be interested in the industry and in what you are doing to go far in the company. It's not somewhere for people who just want to earn a paycheck.

Cons

It is definitely not like MNCs where there are many perks for staff or a very glamorous office. However, benefits are definitely fair. You have to be willing to invest time and effort in your work to reap the benefits.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews