Copper River IT Reviews

Reset
2.3
Ben Brucker

1. Copper River IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA (US)

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people that make you feel as part of the family. The group are starting to use processes in a more positive way to achieve success across the business functions.

Cons

There are too many executives that really don't understand the whole business. They think they do and talk a good game, but are sometimes unwilling to let their people do what they have hired them to do.

Advice to Management

Have more faith in the people you hire to do their jobs. If you allow middle management to lead they will most always surprise you with what they can do.

2. Clueless, Careless, and Conniving Leadership

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, easy to become a PM because people constantly leave, I have no other pros to mention.

Cons

Disorganized, no direction, went through 5 program managers in 1 year - most of whom were unqualified and had no idea what they were doing, management constantly blaming staff and subcontractors for their lack of delivery and organization, would rather put a band aid on major issues than actually address them to improve client delivery, lack of any real processes.

Advice to Management

Clear out non-performers and hire staff who know how to manage programs effectively. Lose the holier than thou attitude. Allow staff to do their jobs without worrying about underhanded political BS.

3. A very nice place to work

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

I've been at Copper River for quite some time now and I find it a fully satisfying place to work. The benefits are very good, work expectations are reasonable, salaries are competitive, work/life balance is enthusiastically supported and they invest in employees’ professional development to a degree I've not seen in any other company in my 20+ years in the industry. Copper River has engineers with 2-3 years of industry experience who have received enough experience and training in that short period of time that they are pursuing (and achieving) professional and expert level certifications across multiple OEM partners. If you want to learn and grow in the industry and work on compelling and challenging projects, Copper River is the place you want to be.

Cons

Each department establishes their own operating procedures but on occasion certain departments inexplicably don't follow those procedures. It's then that workflow can get gummed up.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employees, ensure adherence to procedures across all departments or rewrite those procedures if necessary, take advantage of possible new lines of business, sell the full breadth of what the company offers. If sales lag in certain areas, adjust comp plans to incent those sales.

5. Stay away. I was with them for 3 years and it only got worse.

Pros

Not many pros when you get down to it.

Cons

I've never seen contractor less interested in the quality of their services and solely interested in their bottom line. That's saying a lot in the DC metro area.

Advice to Management

They know exactly what they're doing - they just don't care enough to change their culture.

Greed, Clicks, and Harassment Oh My!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA (US)

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is easy to get a job and hard to get fired if you like to party with management. There are opportunities but they come with stipulations and strings attached to everything.

Cons

The culture and current President/CEO is a party animal who's culture has created a greedy and self absorbed work environment. The compensation for management must be driven not by customer satisfaction or doing a good job. It must be driven by money and money alone. There is not growth path and most employees I knew felt that as soon as all the value had been sucked out of them they would be pushed out.

Advice to Management

Change everything!

Run away and Run Fast

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Chantilly, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Chantilly, VA (US)

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The interview process was easy. And they will extend an offer pretty quick. Human Resource and the technical staffing firm they work with seem to have their stuff together. If you are in with mgmt. you will move up quickly.

Cons

This list is pretty long. They tell you a travel requirement of 25%, What they mean is 90%. The benefits are awful, high cost for insurance etc. - They do match your 401k which is nice. The raises are horrible, this year they decided you can only get a 3% raise a year (even if you exceed all expectations on your review), even though they low ball you when they hire you. No job security. They fire people on whim, especially if you are not "in" with HR Mgmt is immature. Think high school, but now they have titles. They have no regard for the customers at all and will sell them anything - think used car salesmen. If you are not in with mgmt. you will not advance.

Advice to Management

Stop selling everything to a customer - get off the car lot. Focus on what you are good at. Be honest - to the employees and the customers.

You would think with the growth they could actually be a little more mature.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA (US)

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like being surrounded by upper management that reminds you more of a frat house its great. YO can move up quickly if you are good at office politics and brown nosing.

Cons

No training, HQ is ran by a bunch of people that never finished college. They still feel like its jocks and cheer leaders.

Advice to Management

Grow up, learn to actually follow some sort of model that doesn't change on a whim.

Greed Took Over

I worked at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

Tribal 8 (a) organization, aimed to give back to the community, offers clients rare opportunity for single source funding.

Cons

Like a fish out of water, doesn't have the know-how, experience, or chutzpah to own up to it and correct their mistakes.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to swindle more money from clients, own and mitigate issues immediately. Contrary to the popular demotivator, "If there isn't money in the solution, there is money in extending the problem" is NOT THE CASE. Promising services you have no prior experience with cheaper, and quicker than the competition is not the answer, nor is it honest or ethical. This is one sure way to lose clients and potentially be disbarred. Delivering quality end products (not 1/2 assed rushed ones) no matter how long it takes, is what builds a good reputation, develops strong client relationships, and ultimately, leads to more honest work and money. Don't be afraid of change, be transparent and alert fault as soon as it is recognized, step up to the plate, and make things right the ethical way.

10. Great company to work for in my opinion

Current Employee - Computer Analyst
    Current Employee - Computer Analyst

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is supportive, friendly, responsive, and quick to help. Human resources is very quick as well to answer questions and resolve any issues. I can honestly say in the 8 years I've worked in this area (through various contracts); this is by far the best company I've worked for. They are very good to their people, and in my experience always putting their employees first. It really does make for a great work environment. I can't speak for everyone in this company, but my coworkers are intelligent, well versed in their duties, and are professional in their work ethics. Some are well rounded while others have some specialties that bring a vast knowledge to the team. My managers are not only managers but also experienced analysts themselves, which makes for a much better setup than having managers that only know how to manage people. I should mention, I had looked at a different job someone recommended to me, and found that Copper River treated me better in my time with them and leaving than I was treated by the company that was trying to hire me.... In regards to what the previous review mentioned on benefits, I've found the opposite to be true. My insurance is dramatically cheaper than my previous jobs, and way cheaper than the other job I had been looking at with a much larger company. I have no complaints about any of the benefits Copper River offers. I'm very happy to be an Orca!

Cons

Don't want to leave this blank, so here's the best I can come up with for cons: Job security if on a government contract, though this isn't specific to Copper River. There is always the chance they may lose the contract, but most of the time whoever wins the contract will pick up the existing staff anyway. This is the case no matter what government contractor you may be employed by. It’s easier to keep who is in place than rehire. I had 1 position that I was employed by 3 companies in. This is just my opinion, but I have no doubts that if you work for them, prove your worth, and make a good example, that they will do their best to find you another position with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Extremely high turnaround. Do your research before taking a position

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Chantilly, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Chantilly, VA (US)

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the benefits is having access to many of the free online training offerings that their technology partners are providing, such as VMware and Cisco. However, most of these are sales related that VMware and Cisco offer for free to their partners, so it is of limited benefit if you are looking for decent technical training.

Cons

This company is basically a head shop - they are filling "butts in seats" contracts with various government agencies, and they must keep overhead low in order to make a profit. Growth potential in these positions is almost non-existent, and once you are placed on a contract there is absolutely no management visibility whatsoever. Another major problem is that there is almost no job security at Copper River IT. As their primary business is in the Government contracting business and they may in fact lose a contract at any given time, they will simply turn around and release those employees in order to ensure profitability. While I can understand the desire to run a profitable organization, it was my experience that employees were released with no advance notice and no severance package whatsoever. At one point, we actually observed almost 20 people fired for no apparent reason in a 2 month timeframe, which is a lot considering the company only had 90 employees at the time. The benefits are probably some of the worst I've ever experienced in the industry, in fact, at Copper River IT I paid almost double for my family's health insurance compared to what I paid in previous positions. This really has a huge impact on the overall take-home pay. And in fact, over the years, the benefits at Copper River IT have actually gotten worse. Although they finally decided to establish a 401k in 2010, there continues to be no employer match.

Advice to Management

The executive staff at Copper River IT claims that the key to making their clients happy is by having a group of enthusiastic professionals dedicated to serving their clients' interests. Management also claims that once the necessities of life are properly addressed, such as family, home, health, prosperity, and opportunity - people are more engendered to pursue their professional goals. However, the reality is that many of the employees working at Copper River IT are extremely unhappy in their positions, and management is completely out of touch with their employees. It feels like a body shop and it is, and it has created a "revolving door" atmosphere that nobody can feel completely comfortable working within. Not only do employees feel that the necessities of life are NOT being properly addressed, there is a feeling that upper-level management simply doesn't care about the employees and only wants to meet the bottom line. Certainly not the type of environment that allows one to blossom and pursue their professional goals. With some real changes within the ranks of upper level management and some pretty big changes to the overall benefits and compensation, along with a genuine desire to create an atmosphere of goodwill towards the employees, the environment could change to one which actually inspires people to help transform and grow the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed