Cornell University Research Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Jul 8, 2019

Found 108 reviews

4.6
Martha E. Pollack
  1. "Very good for research"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Quite and beautiful campus with a lot of collaboration across labs

Cons

Can be challenging for social life

Cornell University2019-07-08

July 12, 2019

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback! Socializing can be a challenge in a new town, but with all that's going on at Cornell as well as in the lively Ithaca community, it's often a matter of knowing where to look. A new website called liveinithaca.org features some great resources ...

• "excellent experience"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture as an ivy. In my department, PhD students get very professional instructions from amazing advisors and we are allowed to take courses freely offered by different schools over the university due to the inter-discipline nature of our research. Good life-work balance.

Cons

The location is a little isolated, but it is ok if you want to focus on your research.

Cornell University2019-07-01

July 12, 2019

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We're glad you're enjoying your experience at Cornell!

• "good"

Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at Cornell University part-time

Pros

flexible hours, plenty of resources

Cons

none, working here is great

Cornell University2019-06-20

June 25, 2019

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We're glad your experience working at Cornell has been positive.

"A harrowing experience"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University full-time for more than a year

Pros

-There are a few people high up in the administration that really care about making Cornell a more inclusive, safe place. I just wish there were more of them. -Higher than average grad stipend and year-round health insurance, but no dental or vision

Cons

-Toxic work culture with a focus on prestige and appearance rather than quality research -Abuse, both sexual and emotional, from students and professors -Title IX and ombudsman office are understaffed and the processes in place to report assault or abuse are time consuming and triggering -Outdated scientific equipment in many labs -Working in isolation for years with no feedback on performance or career advancement...

Advice to Management

Continue to support people in the administration who are trying to advocate for better student treatment and benefits. Offer management training to professors and lab technicians.

Cornell University2019-06-21

June 25, 2019

Cornell is committed to the success of our graduate students and to the integrity of our research, teaching, and engagement mission. We take reports of misconduct seriously. Cornell encourages the commenter to provide details of their complaint by filing an EthicsPoint complaint at ...

• "Amazing School"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cornell offers a supportive environment and gives the opportunity to nurture our interests

Cons

Ithaca is an isolated place.

Cornell University2019-05-01

May 9, 2019

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. Have you seen the new liveinithaca.org website? They have a great volunteering/philanthropy area -- finding and building community through volunteering is a great way to connect in Ithaca!

• "Grad student"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent mentors, great resources for career advancement, great facilities, beautiful location.

Cons

poor mental health support, questionable treatment of sexual harassment cases, expensive housing.

Cornell University2019-04-16

April 17, 2019

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. Your insights are valued as we work to continuously improve our workplace. If you'd like to provide more specific feedback, you can use this anonymous form: https://cornell.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3EitErAP80n9YkR

• "Good but monotonous"

Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at Cornell University part-time

Pros

The pay is decent and the research is cutting edge

Cons

The research can be monotonous depending on the lab.

Cornell University2019-03-22

April 17, 2019

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. Cornell's cutting edge research depends on a lot of hard work in our labs!

• "Great place to pursue PhD degree"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are really smart, nice and supportive!

Cons

Location. Harder to build a career network

Cornell University2019-03-05

April 17, 2019

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback, and congratulations on over five years of employment with Cornell!

• "amazing academic environment"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great scientists to collaborate and get feedback from. Lots of resources from teaching workshops, BEST program, writing and communication workshops for career development and a lot of the world's best scientists come to give talks, which is great!

Cons

slightly isolating environment at the same time.. it is hard to engage socially, i think because Ithaca is a quiet community. Also isolated from the big cities, so it is hard to network and eventually find jobs for graduate students interested in industry jobs.

Advice to Management

we need more career fairs catering to PhDs in life-sciences! We also need better ways to find and network with our alums

Cornell University2019-03-17

April 17, 2019

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback -- we appreciate your insights!

• "Good time!"

Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at Cornell University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great community, plenty of resources

Cons

In the middle of literally nowhere

Cornell University2019-02-22

April 12, 2019

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback! Sure, we do get some kidding about being "centrally isolated" in Ithaca -- but being in the heart of the beautiful Finger Lakes region comes with plenty of benefits - take a look at our "Explore" page on the HR website: https://hr.cornell.edu/welcome/your-first-months/explore

Found 108 reviews