Cornell University "ithaca" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Cornell University Employee Reviews about "ithaca"

Updated Sep 15, 2019

Found 1225 reviews

4.3
Cornell University CEO Martha E. Pollack (no image)
Martha E. Pollack
Pros
  • "Ithaca is a nice town to live in, albeit slightly expensive for the middle of nowhere(in 66 reviews)

• "Great place to work, great town to live in(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "Ithaca is isolated from the rest of society -- NYC is a 4 hour drive minimum(in 127 reviews)

• "It can be a bit too cold during winters(in 33 reviews)

Reviews about "ithaca"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good employers"

I have been working at Cornell University

Pros

Healthy work life balance, good community, gorgeous Ithaca

Cons

bad weather, long working hours

Cornell University2013-12-13

"A harrowing experience"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University full-time for more than a year

Pros

-There are a few people high up in the administration that really care about making Cornell a more inclusive, safe place. I just wish there were more of them. -Higher than average grad stipend and year-round health insurance, but no dental or vision

Cons

-Toxic work culture with a focus on prestige and appearance rather than quality research -Abuse, both sexual and emotional, from students and professors -Title IX and ombudsman office are understaffed and the processes in place to report assault or abuse are time consuming and triggering -Outdated scientific equipment in many labs -Working in isolation for years with no feedback on performance or career... advancement opportunities -High cost of living in and around Ithaca, NY

Advice to Management

Continue to support people in the administration who are trying to advocate for better student treatment and benefits. Offer management training to professors and lab technicians.

Cornell University2019-06-21

June 25, 2019

Cornell is committed to the success of our graduate students and to the integrity of our research, teaching, and engagement mission. We take reports of misconduct seriously. Cornell encourages the commenter to provide details of their complaint by filing an EthicsPoint complaint at ...

3. "Amazing School"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cornell offers a supportive environment and gives the opportunity to nurture our interests

Cons

Ithaca is an isolated place.

Cornell University2019-05-01

May 9, 2019

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. Have you seen the new liveinithaca.org website? They have a great volunteering/philanthropy area -- finding and building community through volunteering is a great way to connect in Ithaca!

4. "Great resources, benefits"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits here are really great- good medical, dental, and retirement. You're vested from day 1 and Cornell contributes 10% (for endowed employees, not sure about state employees)

Cons

The cost of living in Ithaca is pretty high relative to its size and location

Cornell University2019-04-11

April 17, 2019

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We work hard to provide competitive and comprehensive benefits for Cornell employees.

5. "amazing academic environment"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great scientists to collaborate and get feedback from. Lots of resources from teaching workshops, BEST program, writing and communication workshops for career development and a lot of the world's best scientists come to give talks, which is great!

Cons

slightly isolating environment at the same time.. it is hard to engage socially, i think because Ithaca is a quiet community. Also isolated from the big cities, so it is hard to network and eventually find jobs for graduate students interested in industry jobs.

Advice to Management

we need more career fairs catering to PhDs in life-sciences! We also need better ways to find and network with our alums

Cornell University2019-03-17

April 17, 2019

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback -- we appreciate your insights!

6. "Well paid for graduate student salaries, academic life is bountiful"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to high quality eduction, plethora of extra curricular events, world renown experts whether at the university or invited, decent food options, and name recognition. Ithaca is a nice town to live in, albeit slightly expensive for the middle of nowhere.

Cons

Ithaca is isolated from the rest of society -- NYC is a 4 hour drive minimum. Food options on campus are quite limited when late or during breaks. As a graduate student, our status within the university is in a quantum superposition state between student and employee. Benefits are limited, and representation is minimal. Also, graduate life can be brutally taxing on work/life balance. True almost anywhere,... though.

Cornell University2019-01-03

January 4, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Cornell deeply values the contributions of our graduate students. Please visit the Grad School website (https://gradschool.cornell.edu/) for resources designed to support graduate and professional students, including financial support, ...

7. "Community"

I have been working at Cornell University full-time

Pros

Amazing community in Ithaca and at Cornell.

Cons

It's cold during winter time.

Cornell University2018-12-03
  8. "Decentralized and supportive"

Former Employee - Manager in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A commitment to inclusiveness Opportunities for professional development Good benefits

Cons

Decentralized environment - work experience can be vastly different in the same arena of work Compensation is marginally competitive If relocating - Ithaca, NY is a great town but only 150 days of sun

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your staff as much as you do in faculty. Centralization of services can compromise standards, continue to be mindful of this.

Cornell University2018-11-29
  9. "Student"

Current Employee - Student in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An egalitarian school with many courses, programs, clubs, and resources. Diverse student body and faculty. Rigorous curriculum that ensures everyone learns.

Cons

It can be hard to travel from Ithaca to other places. If one isn't proactive and doesn't do work on time, it can be hard to cope with the rigor.

Cornell University2018-10-15
  10. "Good Place to Work"

I have been working at Cornell University full-time

Pros

Lot of Opportunities to lean

Cons

Ithaca during winter is only con.

Advice to Management

Nothing much to complain

Cornell University2018-09-04