Crate and Barrel Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.4
Crate and Barrel Chief Executive Officer Neela Montgomery
Neela Montgomery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Supportive and collaborative work environment where you are encouraged to lead with your strengths" (in 70 reviews)

• "Fantastic team, great product, relaxed atmosphere (compared to other retail companies I have worked for)" (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "Then all of the part- time staff who want the position must be interviewed" (in 50 reviews)

• "No chance of full time employment unless a full- timer leaves" (in 43 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Skokie, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Skokie, IL (US)

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Crate & Barrel searches the globe for merchandise that offers great design, remarkable quality, and timeless style. The company therefore attracts employees from all walks of life, and fosters excellence with stupendous comradery and frequent training. Crate & Barrel is very inclusive and encourages collaboration. It values the opinions of its workers and customers with the utmost respect. It is also very proud of its Illinois heritage and loyal partnership with its vendors around the world. Lastly they offer great innovation and trend-setting style that is simply iconic.

Cons

The showroom hours can be long and tough, especially with lots of customers shopping, but the teamwork makes it all worth it. Wages were fair but raises were very modest. However, the path to career advancement is great many of my coworkers and myself all received promotions that took us to management, corporate, or furniture sales.

Advice to Management

Keep up the enthusiasm, comradery, and exceptional leadership!

"Love my team mates, don't like the sales pressure"

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people to work with, both veterans and newbies, who truly enjoy each other's company and have fun together.

Cons

New Area Manager has led to 100% new sales management team, which have adopted her micromanaging style. Constantly rehashing numbers from weekly reports does not make people better at upselling and promoting the credit card, and drives away junior managers because of high school-like interrogation of last week/month/quarter's performance in every department.

In the big picture, great initiative in new digital markets and services, but all at the expense of in-store operations. Running out of space for hundreds of new SKUs every season, more and more complex furniture options that confuse customers and sales associates, and continually racing to the bottom with more cheaply-made goods to appeal to every single potential customer. Customers often comment on how Crate "used to be classy", but is way different now.

Advice to Management

What are "moments that matter"? Is there such a thing as a moment that doesn't matter? Mission and vision chatter should rebuild Crate's once-strong vision of design and high-level customer service -- not just upselling all the time, but real product knowledge that comes from an investment in training. Incredible associates are driven away by constant pressure to sell more, without being given the tools to do so.

Crate and Barrel Response

11 Feb 2019 – Recruiter

​Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a... More

3. "Not Bad"

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part it’s a relax environment. If you are disciplinedd and focused you can generate a relatvely good income.

Cons

When you take vacation there is no commission; so be prepared for a smaller pay check.

Advice to Management

In the last few years; it seems like some of the managers hired, are not as professional has their predecessors.

4. "Loved"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great product.

Cons

Nothing- loved working there so much.

5. "great company"

Current Employee - Stock Associate
    Current Employee - Stock Associate

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

stressless job and flexible schedule

Cons

lack of leadership, there are no follow up of the process

6. "Full time is nearly impossible"

Former Employee - Merchandising in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandising in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and fun atmosphere.

Cons

No chance of full time employment unless a full- timer leaves. Then all of the part- time staff who want the position must be interviewed. Beforehand, the backstabbing begins.

Advice to Management

Do not consider a full- time job a promotion.

7. "Team Environment"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA (US)

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support and team effort.

Cons

It's challenging to learn all the different online ordering transactions and stock checks.

8. "Very good company"

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Beautiful product;
    * Associate discount;
    *Amazing team

Cons

-Retail schedule;
    -Low salary;
    -No training system

"Great Brand- Too much Change"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL (US)

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful Brand
    People who work there truly have a passion for the brand, it’s history, and it’s people

Cons

Executive turnover causes so much instability. It’s so frequent that change management has been thrown out the window

Advice to Management

Don’t lose what made Crate great. It’s not just a name

"Great company culture focus"

Current Employee - Sales Auditor in Northbrook, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Auditor in Northbrook, IL (US)

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On boarding was extremely smooth. The interview process was as thorough as one should expect but the entire experience was on the more casual side which allowed me to relax a bit and better explain the value I would be able to provide the company. Once i was given the offer, it seemed like all hands were on deck to try and get everything in place as quickly as possible. If there were any bumps in the way one email was enough to find a resolution and continue the process. This company culture is what really grabbed my attention when I first started. Everyone was incredibly warm and welcoming and I was quick to find a real place within this corporate community.

Cons

The only downside that I would say is that different departments feel pretty separated. I think a lot of synergies could be created having departments mix more and understand more aspects of the company.