Cro Metrics Reviews

Updated Jun 7, 2022

Found 26 of over 29 reviews

4.4
Cro Metrics CEO Chris Neumann (no image)
Chris Neumann
  1. 5.0

Cro Metrics

Jun 7, 2022 - Quality Assurance Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great sense of community Very talented persons Career focused Lots of opportunities for switching career trajectories

Cons

Hitting billing targets as a measure of success

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

May 10, 2022 - Experiment Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and company culture

Cons

Pay is lower than industry rate

3. 4.0

Awesome place to work

May 16, 2022 - Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some growing pains but a great, fully remote place to work

Cons

Can be hard to figure out

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

So Much Growth

Feb 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is far and away the most growth I've been a part of -- both in my own career and for the company as a whole: Growing Rapidly Company: Grown 75% since December 2019, while also expanding product offering to paid and email, so way more variety. Opportunity for everyone to help build the thing. Quarterly Compensation/Promotion Review: Quarterly comp and promotion review process means there's opportunity for top performers to grow quickly. Multiple people with 2 promotions in first year. Awesome Household Name Clients Across All Verticals: Allbirds, Bombas, Calendly, Charles Schwab, Trevor Project, Unicef, Zillow. OG Remote: Remote since before the pandemic, so not trying to figure out how to make it work on the fly. The Team: From engineering to strategy, some of the smartest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

1. Growing offerings means that if you're someone who wants a lot of structure in place, it could be difficult. 2. Most team members work on 5-7 clients, which is great for the opportunity to see how businesses work, but can be a lot of task switching for some people.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great for growth, but fast-paced

Oct 5, 2021 - Experiment Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Interesting work. A/B tests are a unique space; you'll be using patterns and techniques unlike anywhere else, especially with Cro's focus on efficiency. The mode of thinking takes some getting used to, but if it clicks for you, it's very refreshing. - Room to grow. Most of your code will only run live for a certain amount of time while the experiment gathers data, so it's not the end of the world if it wasn't 100% efficient or clean. You can "shoot above the water line" and try new strategies. Code reviews are voluntary, frequent, and aimed at your growth as a developer more than anything. - Incredible culture. The people are wonderful, and goofy Slack channels are abound. There are fun little things like "Get To Know Your Coworker Friday" or the "Third Thursday" party game meetups. You can send and receive thoughtful gifts through the company and might even get cool swag/products from clients. - Work/life balance is great. It's largely up to you to set boundaries, but everyone is supportive in your efforts. The company is 100% remote, and they do WFH right. - Promotion is fast and based on merit, rather than solely on how long you've been there. This might be a negative to some, but I saw people join and be promoted mere months after due to the hard work they put in. - If you see a problem in the process, you're fully empowered to fix it. Build that internal tool, write that documentation. One of the most critical tools the team uses was originally built by one guy because he was tired of doing things the slow way.

Cons

- Extremely fast-paced. This can be a plus for some, but personally, it really wore me down over the years. Each test has a turnaround time of a few days. The work is small enough for that to be reasonable in a vacuum, but if you aren't careful, an unforeseen disruption will cause a cavalcade of late tickets. It can be very stressful at times. - Can feel like a "ticket conveyor belt" at times, especially once the novelty has worn off. If you want different side projects, you have to seek them out and make time for them -- and when things get busy, you'll have to put them down and get back to the grind. - Agency work is not for everyone. For every enjoyable client, there's another that's frustrating to work with or has a difficult site to build on. Working directly with client engineers can be extremely useful, but it occasionally exposes you to more negative company cultures. - Because your experiments only run for a certain amount of time, the work can feel thankless if you aren't really bought into the philosophy of experimentation or can't find interesting side projects etc. to balance things out. (This is getting better thanks to offerings like landing pages.)

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Leadership actively works to identify opportunities for change and improve company

Apr 7, 2021 - Senior Growth Strategist in Gypsum, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Leadership actively meets with, and listens to, everyone at every level in the company - Heavy focus on work/life balance, with the ability to fully disconnect when on vacation - Fantastic clients and strong variability in your day-to-day work, allowing you to never get bored or fatigued with one area of your job - Really intelligent, compassionate colleagues, and a remote-first culture that allows you to get to know people working across the country

Cons

- You need to take responsibility for signing off, since you are working from home, you'll have to create space (but you are supported in this) - As with any agency, you are somewhat at the behest of your clients (but leadership has always jumped in when anything gets challenging)

7 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging and rewarding

Apr 17, 2021 - Optimization Growth Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learn and work with a multitude of verticals Grow companies with web and multichannel marketing Team experts who will support personal growth across all roles 100% remote with bi-annual All Hands for team building Supportive leadership want you to succeed

Cons

Fast growth business involves a lot of process changes and ability to adapt 100% remote can be challenging for work/life balance A/B testing is a relatively new service so can be hard to learn

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great people, culture, and business

Apr 16, 2021 - Senior Growth Strategist in Cincinnati, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Transparent management team open to feedback - CEO is available, direct, and cares - We do what's best for our clients - Innovation and ingenuity are valued - Good work/life balance - Fun activities, workcations, and surprise gifts - Growth opportunities

Cons

- Healthcare reimbursement instead of healthcare plans - Occasional waves of new work (new clients, client transitions, new initiatives) but fairly common in the agency world.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

If you want to be the best at what you do, this is a good place to be

Apr 7, 2021 - Senior Growth Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Cro Metrics is really really good at conversion optimization. You'd be hard-pressed to find another agency running as many experiments, short of maybe Accenture (if that kind of consulting monolith is even your jam) -Great culture, great folks to work with. Expectations of work/life balance are baked in - most everybody (from the CEO on down) keeps clear blocks on their calendar for personal or family commitments, etc., and nobody bats an eye if you need to go take your dog to the groomers in the middle of the day or whatever -Meaningful progress has been made on building career path options - no longer "people management or walk". I've agreed with reviews in the past on this being a weak point, and happy to say it feels like it's moving in the right direction

Cons

-This is client services, so much of the job and your enjoyment of it can be totally broken depending on the clients you're servicing. Workload isn't consistent, sometimes there are problematic clients you've got to grimace and keep working with, and it's certainly a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment. The only thing that might make this more challenging than other agency environments is the relative immaturity of the marketplace when it comes to A/B testing. You're going to have to repeat yourself and teach clients the basics over and over, a lot. You're going to have to passionately argue against what can seem like incredibly inane objections to actually doing the work contracted. -More neutral than a real con, but: Cro is totally bootstraped - this is awesome for an overall feeling of security that the company will be around in 5 years, and no VC or PE bigshots coming in and screwing things up. But if you want to be an innovator or work on the cool "next-gen" stuff, that has to happen on top of your existing workload and can only really be justifiable to the point where there's an ability to sell it to some client immediately. Slight change of pace from the venture-backed startup world.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

You'll work hard, but you'll learn a lot

Nov 25, 2019 - Growth Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Fully remote means you are essentially running your own little business. Not having a commute was a perk that I truly didn’t expect to cherish as much as I did. It meant that I had more time with my family and less time transitioning between work and personal life. You also haven’t lived until you’ve been to the grocery store in the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday. It’s a privilege reserved for very few. * Great learning experience. When I started at Cro I had spotty experience with testing. I grew tremendously over my tenure there and left feeling like my work there has enabled me to be recognized as an expert in the field. Cro is dedicated to the evolution of testing and is at the forefront of the tools and techniques they are using with their clients. * There are also dedicated to Remote life. It can sometimes be lonely and isolating to work from home. They are constantly evaluating new toolsets, studies, and processes to help everyone feel like a part of the team regardless of where they live in the country. * They strongly value efficiency over busy work and find many ways to incentivize that working style. * A general rule of thumb is that Product Managers are expected to have 30 client billable hours a week, with 10 hours of professional growth. In theory, this is a valiant attempt at maintaining a work-life balance and encourages employees to focus on other areas of career development. I understand that similar agencies require significantly more from their consultants. * They put a lot of effort and structure around OKR’s starting at the very top. The CEO takes time with each employee to understand what their goals are and how they plan to measure progress on each of those goals. * Travel is expected but it’s very reasonable. I would visit my clients on average every three months and I had anywhere from 4-6 clients at a time. Super manageable, kinda fun, and it never intruded on my weekends.

Cons

* Not a lot of career trajectory for those not interested in being people managers, particularly for the PMs. Furthermore, the product manager role is one of an individual contributor and is not adequate at preparing employees to be effective managers. * There has been a tremendous amount of growth over the last year, which is great, but the benefits of this growth have not been felt or understood beyond the very top. It always felt strange to me that commissions for expanded accounts were paid to sales associates, not the PM doing all the work. * The review system needs a lot of work. They are done quarterly and typically require employees to write out a bunch of examples about the work they did that quarter that proves that they are doing their job. Managers then review and either disagree or agree with the employee's assessment. I found it a frustrating experience to convince my manager that I was doing my job and think it was a monumental waste of time. To Cro metrics credit, they have experimented with different questions, scoring and slight tweaks to the format nearly every quarter I was there.

6 people found this review helpful