Custom Ink Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.9
Custom Ink Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits but little to no guidance on leveraging them" (in 27 reviews)

• "Plus who doesn't love free food" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Everyone here knows each other from high school" (in 12 reviews)

• "They constantly talk about a work/life balance then make you work an unimaginable amount of overtime throughout the year" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company, doing a lot of things very right"

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Fresh out of college in my area --- great pay. you begin with a standard pay that was still REALLY amazing for me personally, and as you work, if you meet certain performance levels that are all clearly outlined to you from the start, you can get an increase in pay. i've never worked anywhere that made it that easy, transparent, and fair to get a raise. No weird negotiating, they make it obvious what they need from you and if you deliver then you're set.
    *they don't discriminate. they truly value people from different backgrounds, ages, identities, etc. a lot of companies give lip service to trying to be inclusive and valuing people not assumptions but they do seem to do a better job than most
    *actively tries to promote a positive work environment. we are constantly getting goodie bags, raffles for fun prizes (such as rock climbing passes to a gym, or to a spa) focused on keeping us happy and healthy, and we get food 2x a week SOMETIMES more.
    *AMAZING benefits. seriously, I would bet good money this is the best health insurance in the state of texas, and the cost is incredibly low and manageable, especially if you don't smoke.
    *flexible and understanding. there are a lot of different shifts, so you can usually find something that works for you.
    * NO colored hair policy -- since we're in customer service behind a screen and nobody sees us, we can have fun with our clothes and hair within reason! they don't discriminate against those with heavy tattoos either, but I think there is technically a facial piercing policy
    *we have so many fun events. gaming tournaments, a craft fair, we put art from different employees up on our cafe walls. you don't have to be an artist to work here, but if you are, you'll have a lot of fun!

Cons

*some customers can be a little less than nice, but you do run into that no matter where you go
    *there is a LOT to learn. so you gotta be really up to the task of putting in 100% to learn everything, though they do provide ample training
    *you will get fat really easily if you don't start working out after having a sit-down full time job, especially one that feeds you as well as they do! I speak from experience

Advice to Management

keep being awesome and taking feedback!

20 Nov 2018

Thank you for this review. Colored hair? We don’t care! We don’t discriminate against tattoos or piercings, facial or otherwise. We celebrate individuality and diversity in every area of our business... More

2. "Great Place To Work - Top 100 Companies to work for"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've always been treated as a valued employee here, and while I've had my bad days, my good days outweigh them. I've worked for the company for over 5 years and have established long standing relationships, and mentors. I also appreciate the development opportunities I have had.

Cons

Nothing really to complain about, I try not to take my job for granted because it pays my bills and I've been very fortunate

"Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many ways to grow and develop. Lots of ways to move within the company. Great company to work for with awesome benefits and management that really cares. I have always recommended others to apply to work for Custom Ink based off of my personal experience.

Cons

Could re-evaluate compensation and benefits. Cost of living is a lot more and it can be a struggle at times. I realize the company is looking for financial freedom, but I would also like to have financial freedom being able to contribute more to my retirement and savings.

28 Feb 2019

As we grow, so do the opportunities for our team. Custom Ink is a great fit for folks who are excited to tackle new and innovative parts of our growing business. Financial freedom is critical because... More

"Proud to Work for Custom Ink"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Custom Ink is invested in bettering both their team members and their surrounding communities. As long as you are willing to put in the work it takes to grow and develop, you will be presented with the opportunities. Outside of work hours, team members can give back as a Custom Ink Three Hearts Volunteer making a difference in your neighborhood. Being able to proudly represent a company who cares makes your career much more worthwhile.

Cons

Salary is not super competitive.

"Best Place I Have Ever Worked"

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits offered are amazing. Great health insurance, dental, and maternity leave. Pay is fair for the current market. The atmosphere is really what makes working here so amazing. You become part of a big family!

Cons

The pay is fair for the market but not the best out there. For the amount of care they want us to take the pay could be better. They are generous with PL but should also have "sick" days on top of the allotted time off. I feel that lumping it all together creates a desire to come in even when sick in order to maintain your PL balance. Work life balance could be better. Sometimes you are asked to change your schedule even if you've had the same one for years.

"Custom Ink is GrOwIn"

Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Lewisville, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Lewisville, TX (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, quality products, and user-friendly software, fun environment, lots of celebration.

Cons

There is a lot of constant change and sometimes it is not fully baked at roll out causing some bumps along the way. External hires in big roles are improving experience and knowledge with big company decisions.

Advice to Management

It is great to keep the front line in the loop and get excited about change to rally around it. Providing some knowledge as an inform, not giving enough time and room for round tables, and not having all of the information can stir the pot in ways that are not always beneficial towards driving a new behavior.

"Not so much"

Current Employee - Sales in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Vacation balance better than most competitors (when not peak times of the year, and once you get to year 2)
    -Snack on Tuesday (has gotten worse over time for 'Budget') A 'meal' on Thursday (see previous note regarding 'Budget')
    -Could be good as someone's first Hourly type of job (vs say McDonalds or other fast food type of jobs).
    -Your team mates will typically be very awesome people to interact with.
    -401K offered but with a very small match.
    -Vision, Health benefits are reasonably low cost (if you're not a smoker).

Cons

-Take everything from PROS section above and understand that they're all declining.

-If you have a college degree, aiming high and desires to move fast or annually, or considering different job offers while on the hunt, consider elsewhere or make sure to treat this in its current state as a 'filler job'

-Culture has declined to a nearly a no-identity type of company (basically zero culture).

-Lacks a merit, skills, and peer acceptance based promotion structure. It is simply how good of friends can you make with your immediate and other teams manager, and definitely do not tell the truth on feedback surveys or meetings as this is simply going to 'black list' you with the ones who hold your destiny towards promotion and truly tackling the companies weak points.

-Management that is 4-5+ positions removed will dictate and twist direct operations meaning that solutions or implementations will always be communicated and then twisted or misread [think of the game telephone] 4-5+ times down the line, as well as implemented incorrectly 4-5+ times down the line. This means that your feedback and proposed solution will never be accurately addressed and fixed properly since a director and the board of directors that is 3,000 miles away now need to understand, resolve, and dictate to 3 more managers down the line how to operate. This propagation effect over the past 2-3 years has started to show its impact, and will continue to snowball over time.

-To the same degree as the previous note, the metrics have shifted to look at only 'statistics' where someone with a IVY league degree that is a director who is far removed is looking at spreadsheet data each day and making forecast, adjustments, and guidelines. The odd part is that they'll look at the 'core average' for a specific metric; this is fine and accurate...except when you then decide that the other metrics where someone is well above average are NOT being taken into account. Sorry, please replace this person with our brilliant computer engineers, or a stats 101 book, and every single replacement (person or stats book) will realize this is totally incorrect.

-To the same degree of the above note about statistics. They action plan employees before their 6 month grace period over these incorrectly looked at stats. They have utilized this in the most recent quarter to place approximately 75% - 80% of the sales force on an action plan (I can only use the data from the local teams I have discussed with and used this data from, but this appears accurate across those particular teams).
    What is strategically important here is that during this time frame there is NO customer volume, it's historically a lower volume time of the year, AND they will simply pick and choose who they want to 'keep' and not keep just based on their management decision alone (rendering the whole plan somewhat pointless overall).
    If you've survived this literal Hunger Games, congrats, you'll be kept for the busiest time of the year that will happen later on, only to prepare for your next Hunger Games moment later in the year (good luck!). Now if I can add one last aspect to this point before I discuss managers let me just add that defunct assistant managers who are overloaded with busy/BS work are the ones that are tasked to CALCULATE. YOUR. STATS.
    So anyone still employed and finding themselves in this situation, not only check this work yourself to be sure, but REFUSE to settle for anything other than a triple check from multiple managers, which you can oversee or have a peer assist you with this. With the standard amount of human error, how often our guidelines change, and how poorly we actually account for error I just cringe at the thought of truly calculating for true accuracy that has been misrepresented.

Okay lets talk management:

-Veterans in the core work force of 5+ and as high up to 13+ years have left also due to management, culture, and changes in a mass exodus style of "see you laters, y'all". I have been shocked to find that these were people that were claiming to be "lifers". Although receiving a coupon of $10 to any restaurant, as well as a T shirt as a 'Thank you for your service' along with the lack of promotional or compensational movement would definitely seem like a back handed slap in the face as well considering all the "growth" we talk about. I'm certainly not excited at all about my upcoming 'Gifts' for service here.

-HR is kind of a joke with 1 person at each location, the recent replacement at one location has had no actual formal training. Hmm I wonder how this person got the job, jk just refer to this and any past reviews on how to find a new position at Custom Ink and it's easy to find out that you just need to join the High school clique based crowd.

-Other key middle management positions have started to leave (one particular position and it's successor 6 months later).

-Management is INEFFECTIVE. It should be stupid easy: Compensate for skills, experience, and effective communication, rinse and repeat. Stop trying to pull this lever and that lever and train assistant managers how to micromanage, then measure results, change more levers, and only listen to the micromanagers feedback, then pull more levers...stop. It's simple, someone recently tried to train us to "create moments" for any Custom Ink customers. If you do not want the apple to fall far from the tree then you know what you should do for your workforce? (hint: create [amazing] moments for your employees).

-No joke for this one: Fire or demote nearly ALL Operations directors, why be so far removed? Our company ORG chart is getting out of hand that I'm starting to go cross eyed each time they send an update. Maybe then we can better compensate and create moments for the workforce like in the previous note. As we claim to run "lean" this is one area we clearly do not.

-Assistant managers are essentially a clique-d posse. Did you just give honest feedback, well guess what, now you'll notice ALL the management in general treating you negatively. Check their socials, check their office interactions, and check the promotions within the company and you'll know what I'm talking about. Effective managers lead their team to become their replacements, not shun and blacklist those that give them the feedback on what they directly asked them for. I used to think this was a line of work you'd consider a career, then learned it's just still living in High School.

-Make sure you literally take anything said from management with a grain of salt. Someone encourages you to remove yourself from your role to engage/help a different role in the company for 1 or 2 months, I recommend you get what you can in writing. Because you get told that this will only help you out, however, this now becomes 1 or 2 months out of your current role and your STATS start to suffer. Before hand you're told that you're not 'plugged' in, however this in truth is a total lie (or as my previous note points out, its incorrectly calculated by someone who is not good with numbers or following their word). Not only would this affect your paycheck, but also your potential to lose your job as you'll have a high chance of being put on a plan.

-Do you feel great when you get out of a one on one meeting about 'advancement' great, guess what, they just said that to every other person that they met before and after you with what you feel could be a unique discussion. This is literally just 'fill the void' time since having a one one one meeting every two weeks is mandatory. Stop wasting time please. Either give us that time to truly improve and learn a new skill set that we care about, or just meet with us half of that amount of time, but stop whispering sweet nothings in our ears.

Advice to Management

Stop the Lipstick on a Pig Approach. Tiny example: Oh you're going to give us a cost of living adjustment bonus...build it up for a whole 2 quarters, we hold our breath for 3-6 months only to find out it's an extra [taxed] $60 per month this year, when our rent's have gone up nearly $1,000 PER MONTH. Yikes, next time don't get our hopes up for a few months, or maybe that budget we've been cutting everywhere and extra sales we're being pressured into can get us an extra few dollars to help cut into that monthly rent budget that all of us have to deal with? Maybe give us more value or insight into the 401k, maybe just anything other than the disappointment we were given but was pre-discussed and talked up with such high regards?

Follow our core values. There is very little Ownership and Golden Rule being followed at the Management and higher level. If you do not want to change, then simply just remove the teaching of our core values or let us know it's a "do as I say, not as I do" type of relationship.
    Super Advice: If you're really invested in the company. Before or after any big changes, why not literally work 4-6 weeks straight in the actual role? You'll be surprised at either the empathy you'll develop, OR the effective changes required that will take us to the next level...or you'll just be on a action plan, good luck!
    (I know this will not likely happen, but if you're really invested, it's a very clear path. It's like I can watch videos all day of someone's baseball swing and listen to tips, but until I've ACTUALLY swung I'll never know how to swing to make an effective hit...listening to feedback and recorded calls can only get you so far.)
    -Stop with the leadership summits, stop with the insane long and endless meetings, stop sending so many surveys that many are too scared to answer truthfully, and just do it. The opportunity vs. direct cost will shift in a very positive result for the company.

If the above is implemented, please document this within the workplace (make sure to build it up the general awe and essence of this 2 quarters ahead of time), not only will this company be turned around, more respect will be given with passion and energy working its way down to the customers, AND I will definitely edit this post here, elsewhere, and accept what negative areas have been righted.

28 Feb 2019

Thank you for your review. Going through growth often brings a lot of change and bumps in the road. Your insights help us better understand your experience and highlights opportunities for us to... More

"Resigned Due to Disrespectful Management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Custom Ink part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Remote work, Flexible schedule, Decent pay

Cons

Lack of diversity, Some bad managers, fake core values

Advice to Management

I worked with Custom Ink for almost 3 years. I resigned due to an aggressive, threatening manager that recently started managing my team. Since she became manager employees on my team have been quitting or getting terminated. My previous managers were near perfect, so this was unfortunate. Hire managers that know how to talk to employees. I was NOT valued like they say I was.

28 Feb 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We’d love to learn more about your Inker experience and how we can improve. If you’d like to share more information, please don’t hesitate to reach... More

"Great people to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at Custom Ink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a pleasure to work there. My coworkers were smart, kind, and funny. Management in my department worked hard to keep staff happy. The people working there (in most any department) believe in the company and its mission. I think most of the executives and middle management care a lot about their employees. I highly recommend working there. The office is really nice too.

Cons

There are some really cool tech projects and initiatives there, but I was not working on them. It's hard to increase one's salary significantly staying at the same place.

"Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love being surrounded by positive, good hearted, and talented employees. The work environment is fun and collaborative. Lots of opportunity for internal learning and development. The t-shirt and jeans dress code allows for employees to truly feel like themselves. Very generous time off, plus holidays. Leadership is visible and very approachable. It is apparent that leadership cares. The company is growing rapidly, but does an incredible job at communicating upcoming changes and being open to employee feedback throughout the process.

Cons

Hard to think of any downsides! Custom Ink is truly a wonderful place to work.