DWF Employee Reviews about "dwf"

Updated Nov 19, 2021

Found 23 of over 439 reviews

3.5
DWF CEO Nigel Knowles  (no image)
Nigel Knowles
Pros
  • "Pays well and good work/life balance(in 29 reviews)

• "flexible working, working from home, nice colleagues, responsibility early on(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Would rather serve 10 years in prison than ever work for DWF again(in 23 reviews)

• "not much flexibility, long hours(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "dwf"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work

Nov 15, 2021 - Accounts Payable in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work, no complaints

Cons

DWF is a fine place to work

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Never again

Nov 19, 2021 - Paralegal
      Business Outlook

Pros

Provide a clean place to work.

Cons

Would rather serve 10 years in prison than ever work for DWF again.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

DO NOT TAKE THE JOB!

May 16, 2021 - Paralegal in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Near Leeds train station which is convenient. Certain members of staff are ok. Free milk

Cons

- pay is terrible for the work that is required. -DWF has to be the most toxic place that I have ever worked. Paralegal more likes dogs body, you are so overworked and underpaid. If you don’t mind fake attitudes, false support, brown nosing, corrupt management a defective HR department who have the most appalling and disgusting approach towards mental health and personal health then this is the job for you. However if you care about yourself please keep reading!! When I started this role there was no training from. I was buddied up with a different member of staff and they was expected to teach, now they don’t get paid to do this and when you make a mistake you are scrutinised and the onus is on you even though no training was given during my 6 months here. I have done debt collection work in the past so it was strange at the lack of structure and authority in place. The atmosphere is tense, you aren’t allowed to talk to each other even if you do with work. Managers will sit and look down there nose at you, it’s very much of if you fit in kind of culture. The HR team always side with the management no matter what your circumstances are and god forbid you ever get poorly because your made to feel like you don’t matter nor does your health. The caseload just grows and grows and grows its unrealistic but you are not allowed an opinion on this and don’t ask for help from a colleague because then you are deemed as talking. Covid-19 really showed how much this company values its employees well-being, safety and it really brought to light the heavy micromanagement that is in place. Management cannot make there mind you on how the department will run and is constantly changing things, now I’m a firm believer in change is good however there’s change and there’s company greed and silencing your employees who are struggling and pointing out how new changes aren’t working. - cliquey Environment - management have some serious attitude problems - there culture and values - staff turn over is high - FAVOURITISM Exists - directors and other senior members of staff only speak to you when they need something - there is no room for progression

16 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid at all costs

May 6, 2021 - Lawyer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues , for the most part

Cons

UK centric, bureaucratic nightmare, below market pay. DWF purchased my previous employer only to make us all redundant less two years later, along with the rest of non-insurance lawyers in Australia after burning out good people. The announcement that 100 people would lose their jobs was made via a 3 minute video after business hours.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

DONT WORK HERE - SAVE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!!!!

Apr 8, 2021 - Litigation Paralegal in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

None - I’d give this 0 stars if I could

Cons

DWF is the worst place I’ve ever worked. Please save your mental health by not working here. I got no training when I started, just left to do my own thing! Then months down the line my manager bullied me everyday for getting things wrong. I made it clear in the interview with them that I didn’t know loads about credit hire and that I’ve only ever done claimant work and not defendant. My manager knew this as he’s the one who interviewed me and gave me the job! He used to bully me so much. He used to make me feel so bad about getting things wrong, and never used to help me. He used to say ‘I have to think for myself’ - yet I said I was struggling with certain things and he never helped. He was constantly bullying me to the point that I got so depressed I had to have 6 weeks off work due to my mental health and multiple doctors appointments and notes! HR and my manager did a meeting with me whilst I was off claiming ‘they are here for me’ and as soon as I went back, my manager asked why I was off and he laughed at me! And told me ‘it’s just part of the job’ - it’s part of the job to be depressed and bullied by your manager? I don’t think so. This place is a joke. I complained about him and how he treated me and he just got away with it. No investigation into it or anything. My manager then had to the cheek to tell me I’m asking too many questions! Yet if I got the training I needed this wouldn’t have been the case! I’m asking too many questions? Would you rather me constantly get it wrong? What a joke. The place is laughable. Please save yourselves from this place. My mental health was one of the worst it’s ever been due to how I was treated here and they didn’t care. No investigation into him so I had no other choice but to leave. 3 months down the line after me leaving, they are saying I owe them money. They’ve changed this amount 3 times now. This place can’t be trusted. The management get away with bullying their staff, hence why they never actually take any of the job adverts down because their turnover is so high. There’s so much I could say about this place but I’d be here all day! All this for minimum wage too. Don’t put yourself through it. I regret doing it and so will you.

8 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee

Shame on you, DWF!

Feb 6, 2020 - Solicitor
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working at DWF!

Cons

I worked at DWF as a solicitor for nearly five years and during this time I gave the business my all. I worked all the hours from 2am finishes to all-nighters. I did what it took to get the job done and to excel in my career. I was promised the earth by the partner I worked for and that I would be recognised for my efforts. I was then suddenly diagnosed with a shock lifelong chronic illness and was hospitalised for several months to get my condition under control. It was then that I saw DWF’s true colours. A business that holds no empathy or care for its overworked corporate slaves. A business that views you as a number. A business that views you as a replaceable, worthless commodity. As soon as you fall ill, you’re useless to DWF and are treated with utter contempt. During my time in hospital I was bombarded by calls and text messages from DWF’s HR. I was asked daily when I’d be returning. No effort was made to understand what was wrong with me. I told them to leave me alone. They didn’t. They persisted to call, email, text and leave voicemails, which only exacerbated my symptoms. I was distraught at being diagnosed with a terrifying illness. They didn’t care. They made me feel like I was losing my mental capacity. They made me feel worthless. Shamefully, they persistently threatened with not paying me. Again, which resulted in more stress with the worry of being unable to pay my mortgage. I had to even use holiday entitlement to be off sick! I remember lying in my hospital bed thinking that I can’t believe I studied so hard at university and worked all these years to be treated so appallingly. Worse still, in a conversation with HR I was reminded that when I DO return to work that I will again be required to work long hours to meet “business requirements.” I hadn’t even got my health back, yet they were reminding me that I will need to be back working obscene hours well beyond my contracted hours. An utter joke when DWF pay their solicitors a high street law firm wage! But of course, you’re getting the prestige of working at DWF... Even more appalling, the partner who I was working for, who I once looked up to, didn’t once reach out to me and ask how I was doing. Radio silence since my diagnosis and hospitalisation. What an utter disgrace! Where is the humanity? In the end I had no choice but to resign. The position became untenable and the trust was entirely broken. How could I go back to work for a business that treated me that way? I know I am not the only one in DWF to have been treated this way since falling unwell. And I would ask DWF how many employees it is going to take to fall ill with physical and mental health problems for them to realise what they are doing to their employees is unacceptable? What will it take for DWF to understand they can’t continue to work their employees into the ground? What will it take for DWF to understand that the way they are treating their staff is completely unfair and that action must be taken to start looking after their staff? What will it take for DWF to employ HR staff who actually have compassion for employees and try to help them when they are struggling instead of making their life as a DWF employee even more of a misery? It is clear that DWF will stop at nothing in its demonic quest to become the next “global player”. A quest I can’t help but feel will never be achieved. For clients do not come first. Employees come first. Because if you take care of your employees they will take care of the clients. My only wish for this “legal business” is that the good solicitors (yes, there are a few) recognise their worth and go somewhere where they are appreciated, rewarded and supported.

5 people found this review helpful

Resourcing and Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on working with DWF. We do value our employees and strive to manage our employees in a fair and inclusive way and as such, whilst we cannot comment on individual cases, we are surprised to learn of the experience you have outlined which we will explore further with our team.

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Simply awful

Feb 6, 2020 - Paralegal in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team mates are lovely people.

Cons

Management is completely disconnected from reality. Excessive workloads, constant implementation of unnecessary and irrelevant processes that only serve to waste time and create pressure in other areas of the job. The goal posts constantly change and even if you hit or exceed your targets, the message from management is that you're simply not good enough. Staff turn over is high, people leave but are rarely replaced, so it's a case of constantly picking up the pieces. If you don't want to rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic, don't work at DWF.

5 people found this review helpful

Resourcing and Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your experiences working with DWF. We regret to read that your experience was not a more positive one and have taken your feedback on board.

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

High school yard!

Jul 19, 2019 - Paralegal in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The bistro serves adequate food. Ty Jones is a lovely guy!

Cons

There is limited progression. They are supposed to be "leading" the alternative route to qualifications yet put people down and deny them the chance to progress because that would mean they lose Paralegals. Absolutely rubbish wage, will pay you bare minimum and expect your everything. If you dont fit the "look" of DWF then you have no chance. Junior staff constantly moan about management and management can't keep any individuals confidential information confidential. All the best fee earners are running away!

2 people found this review helpful

Resourcing and Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experiences working with DWF. We welcome all views on the business and thoughts on where we can improve, and we will therefore flag your concerns with the relevant parties to seek to make a suitable and sustainable change. We do value our employees and regret to read that your experience is different. Please do keep an eye out for a new recognition platform we will be launching in the near future, which will allow employees to be recognised for going making a significant contribution to the business across all career levels and jurisdictions. Our local HR advisors are always available and happy to discuss any concerns you might have.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great team, not so great management

May 15, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at DWF for about 2 years, in this time I made some wonderful friends, had some genuine colleagues and a really knowledgeable team. I worked with partners and senior leaders across the business who were (most of the time) highly engaged, friendly, helpful and willing to work with you to obtain the best results. I felt like DWF has a lovely atmosphere and flexible approach to working.

Cons

Management was the main problem in the business and the fact that there was no effective support or guidance . DWF very much has a 'care about yourself and not the team' culture which was visible from management. The firm did little to retain employees, there was no decent reward, progression or development path and it's very much a 'if your face doesn't fit you're not wanted within the team' environment. Managers tend to reward their 'favourites' and despite it being an agile business - agility was only seen within a select number of teams and / or people.

2 people found this review helpful

Resourcing and Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback- we welcome all views on the business and thoughts on where we can improve. We're really pleased that you value your colleagues' engagement, hard work and friendliness, as well as DWF's atmosphere and flexible working patterns. We're extremely passionate about the development of our people and want everyone to feel empowered to manage their career development. Our learning and development academy is also open to all and gives lots of scope for self-improvement and development. We are working to develop our people proposition to reflect DWF' growth and reward our people, whilst better communicating our ambitions. Pulse surveys and our engaging people exec is designed drive improvements and our local HR advisors are always available and happy to help if there's anything our employees wish to raise outside of their immediate teams.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Growing global business with an inspirational outlook

May 1, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leaders in the business have a global view of the industry and are motivated by transformational growth.

Cons

Pre-IPO DWF is known for giving low salaries.

Resourcing and Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback – we're really keen to hear views from our current employees so we can identify trends and make improvements where possible. We're really pleased to hear your feedback on our international outlook and business growth and are looking forward to see what the recent IPO has in store for us. We have, and will continue to, assess our benefits in line with market practices to develop suitable and attractive remuneration as best we can.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews