DWF Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Nov 16, 2021

Found 15 of over 439 reviews

3.5
DWF CEO Nigel Knowles  (no image)
Nigel Knowles
Pros
  • "Pays well and good work/life balance(in 29 reviews)

• "flexible working, working from home, nice colleagues, responsibility early on(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Would rather serve 10 years in prison than ever work for DWF again(in 23 reviews)

• "not much flexibility, long hours(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not great

Nov 16, 2021 - Associate in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working and supportive policies.

Cons

No training. Limited supervision. Long hours.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Demanding and not people focused

Aug 4, 2021 - Solicitor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good quality work, Benefits package is ok depending on level, BAYE share scheme, nice offices

Cons

Long hours, little resource to help get job done, poor management who don’t listen to or address employees’ concerns and needs, organisation doesn’t care about its people anymore just numbers, poor bonus structure and people left feeling constantly stressed and undervalued for work done and income generated, male/female divide and lack of promotion for females.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best employer

Apr 12, 2021 - Legal Secretary/Paralegal in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well and good work/life balance

Cons

Occasional long hours of work

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A nice firm to work in - some minor tweaks and it would be great

Mar 23, 2021 - Personal Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

friendly staff, central location, nice office environment, effective training

Cons

not much flexibility, long hours

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Enjoyed

Mar 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, Trust, Good People to work with

Cons

Long hours if you are not careful

6. 5.0
      Former Intern

Great

Jan 8, 2021 - Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

good compensation; great office spot;

Cons

long hours; over-burden junior staff

7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Unlike other law firms - but not necessarily a good thing

Jan 22, 2020 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- very friendly people and genuinely non-hierarchical - pays well, at least in London

Cons

- unclear whether london is going to be a focal point as partners under pressure to send work out to other offices - not set up for long hours (out of hours support non existent) - huge focus on financials - so many layers of management and seems to be a lot of competition/unhappiness amongst partners - IT often crashes leaving people unable to do their job

DWF Response

Resourcing and Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're really pleased that you value our friendly people and compensation. Continuous improvement is one of our values #disrupttoprogress and our IT systems form part of this initiative. We are working to develop our people proposition to reflect DWF' growth and reward our people, whilst better communicating our ambitions. Pulse surveys and our engaging people exec is designed drive improvements and our local HR advisors are always available and happy to help if there's anything our employees wish to raise outside of their immediate teams.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee

Shame on you, DWF!

Feb 6, 2020 - Solicitor
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working at DWF!

Cons

I worked at DWF as a solicitor for nearly five years and during this time I gave the business my all. I worked all the hours from 2am finishes to all-nighters. I did what it took to get the job done and to excel in my career. I was promised the earth by the partner I worked for and that I would be recognised for my efforts. I was then suddenly diagnosed with a shock lifelong chronic illness and was hospitalised for several months to get my condition under control. It was then that I saw DWF’s true colours. A business that holds no empathy or care for its overworked corporate slaves. A business that views you as a number. A business that views you as a replaceable, worthless commodity. As soon as you fall ill, you’re useless to DWF and are treated with utter contempt. During my time in hospital I was bombarded by calls and text messages from DWF’s HR. I was asked daily when I’d be returning. No effort was made to understand what was wrong with me. I told them to leave me alone. They didn’t. They persisted to call, email, text and leave voicemails, which only exacerbated my symptoms. I was distraught at being diagnosed with a terrifying illness. They didn’t care. They made me feel like I was losing my mental capacity. They made me feel worthless. Shamefully, they persistently threatened with not paying me. Again, which resulted in more stress with the worry of being unable to pay my mortgage. I had to even use holiday entitlement to be off sick! I remember lying in my hospital bed thinking that I can’t believe I studied so hard at university and worked all these years to be treated so appallingly. Worse still, in a conversation with HR I was reminded that when I DO return to work that I will again be required to work long hours to meet “business requirements.” I hadn’t even got my health back, yet they were reminding me that I will need to be back working obscene hours well beyond my contracted hours. An utter joke when DWF pay their solicitors a high street law firm wage! But of course, you’re getting the prestige of working at DWF... Even more appalling, the partner who I was working for, who I once looked up to, didn’t once reach out to me and ask how I was doing. Radio silence since my diagnosis and hospitalisation. What an utter disgrace! Where is the humanity? In the end I had no choice but to resign. The position became untenable and the trust was entirely broken. How could I go back to work for a business that treated me that way? I know I am not the only one in DWF to have been treated this way since falling unwell. And I would ask DWF how many employees it is going to take to fall ill with physical and mental health problems for them to realise what they are doing to their employees is unacceptable? What will it take for DWF to understand they can’t continue to work their employees into the ground? What will it take for DWF to understand that the way they are treating their staff is completely unfair and that action must be taken to start looking after their staff? What will it take for DWF to employ HR staff who actually have compassion for employees and try to help them when they are struggling instead of making their life as a DWF employee even more of a misery? It is clear that DWF will stop at nothing in its demonic quest to become the next “global player”. A quest I can’t help but feel will never be achieved. For clients do not come first. Employees come first. Because if you take care of your employees they will take care of the clients. My only wish for this “legal business” is that the good solicitors (yes, there are a few) recognise their worth and go somewhere where they are appreciated, rewarded and supported.

5 people found this review helpful

DWF Response

Resourcing and Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on working with DWF. We do value our employees and strive to manage our employees in a fair and inclusive way and as such, whilst we cannot comment on individual cases, we are surprised to learn of the experience you have outlined which we will explore further with our team.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee

#jargonjobs

Jun 9, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely admin team- v. hardworking high level salary

Cons

- belittling behaviour from senior management - micro management due to lack of processes/ understaffing - office is not fit for purpose - job is 20% of job specification (#jargonjobs??) - very high staff turnover - admin - very outdated computer software and systems - long hours

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to train as a Solicitor

Mar 25, 2018 - Trainee Solicitor in Birmingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly, Good culture, Innovative approach, Top clients and varied workload

Cons

IT, Handling of qualification and long hours

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews