DeVry University Reviews

Updated 11 Aug 2020

3.4
DeVry University President and CEO James Bartholomew
James Bartholomew
Pros
  • "Good benefits, career advancement opportunities, good salary(in 55 reviews)

• "Culture, Opportunity, Great Colleagues, Great benefits(in 36 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Really not that bad..."

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Naperville, IL

I have been working at DeVry University full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of people are playing the position out to be a whole lot worse than it really is. Honestly, I think its all about perspective. If you feel like a salesman, you are going to come off like a salesman, have less success, and hate this job for being a sales position. Management is great. Very understanding, really tries to work with you. They do set "goals" which can feel like quotas but realistically, if you do not meet these goals but are still putting forth the effort they are looking for, you are still praised. Benefits and pay are great. I have no degree and only retail and food service management experience. They tend to hire based on personality and your ability to build relationships with strangers. There is really a heavy psychologically aspect to this job and the interactions you have with students. But honestly, it comes from such a positive place. Many of DeVry's students are looking to go back to college to improve something in their lives because they are now working adults looking for reliable online education with a flexible schedule to suit their lives. It is very different than a role at a traditional campus or a public college where majority of your students are high school grads. You have to be able to encourage these adults who have often not had the best experiences in life. This is always easier to do when you have the right perspective about the job. It can be challenging to get personal with a stranger and to keep them motivated on moving forward in their lives and pursuing their education without feeling emotionally exhausted in this role. But those students who are successful appreciate the push you gave them and that feeling is rewarding enough to continue doing the job!

Cons

Since moving to a fully remote environment back in March 2020 due to Covid, I will say, a lot of the management team focuses on nitpicking and monitoring calls. This can make it feel like they are micromanaging and can raise your anxiety on talking to future students as well. That being said, management is always very open to feedback provided its organized and thoughtful and not just complaints. We are also told very often that its not about numbers but is more about changing lives. That being said, we are led to feel like we failed when the numbers do not meet our "goals". I think this is improving with time as well but honestly, at the end of the day, this is a privately run college and incoming money is important to grow our staff and business. I have told prospective students that I did not think it was a good idea to register them without clearance from financial aid and have been supported by management in doing so.

Continue reading
  2. "positive passionate people"

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor

I have been working at DeVry University full-time for less than a year

Pros

a lot of coworkers who are very passionate about helping students and helping you improve in your role

Cons

basically cold calling with some students mixed in

Continue reading

3. "Good for College Grads"

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor

I have been working at DeVry University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for an entry level job, job isn’t too difficult even for people with low motivation, co-workers are supportive and are always open to helping new hires

Cons

management is so overbearing and you will be micromanaged to the extreme, the main part of the job is recruitment- which always fluctuates and they have unrealistic expectations for that. if you are someone who is more introverted and just like to come to work, do your job, and go home this isn’t the place for you- they are huge on the “family” culture

4. "Working at Home is great"

5.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst

I have been working at DeVry University full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment love the people

Cons

None that I can think of

5. "Student Job"

Current Employee - Student Worker in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at DeVry University part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get your homework done on the job

Cons

Don't really have a con - you get paid to work with the students and facility as well as time to get homework done

6. "No thanks"

Former Employee - Student Support Advisor

I worked at DeVry University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Degree earned That’s about it

Cons

Need better people in management the leaders that are hired do not know anything about managing people they are higher based off of just knowing someone have the same titles as other reps there and then become a manager and don’t know the difference of a manager versus a leader no one likes to be micromanaged especially when you’re older than the person who is managing you they lie the experience was not great the culture totally changed after the original CEO stepped down.

Continue reading
  7. "Better Communication Needed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at DeVry University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunity to work with students directly

Cons

Poor leadership by senior directors

8. "Do not even apply"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at DeVry University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were the only thing positive about this job.

Cons

Everything about this company. If I could give it zero stars I would. This company lies about not having to meet quotas for education (which I might add is ILLEGAL) and always finds a way to beat around firing you for illegitimate reasons. It is a numbers game for this company and the management is awful. There is no respect for other employees and you are constantly micromanaged.

9. "Honest Review"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at DeVry University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is okay for the type of work you do 41-43k to start with, co-workers will be the best part of the job. If you get a degree the company basically makes it free to get one.

Cons

They sell you on that you will help students get a degree, reality its just a numbers game management does not care about you or the student. One of the directors use to be a car sales man manager, like really how is car selling related to anything to higher education? That is until you notice DeVry only cares about signing up students and nothing more, the school is not even highly ranked and cost per credit is super high i went ot a top 10 school and paid a fraction of what a semester at devry would be. Back to the role you are on the floor and are given a cubical on a floor with dozens and dozens other workers like you, you are to go into a dialer and make anywhere from 100-150 dials to meet your numbers, your call with a student should be one hour long and you get yelled at from your boss if its not one hour long, they give you a script to go over with to every student if you go aside from the script the mangers will listen to your calls and tell you "stick to the script"which is right from the scene from the movie "sorry to bother you". No life balance at all one day a week you have a late night 1 and have to work 1 Saturday a month. During end of the 8th week they want everyone to work over time. When i was hired i started with a class of 7 people by the time i left in less than a year everyone already quit. Turn over rate is high by the time you remember someone they are gone the next day. Going back to managers not caring , the manger just recently let go of one of my old co-workers for not meeting there numbers and to make it worst they didnt have the guts to tell them they were going to be let go. Of course they couldnt say they are letting them go for not hitting there numbers since that would be illegal they made up some other reason to let them go. Back when Devry started people use to make commission on the students they signed up but they had to stop for legal reasons that is sad. Devry is a joke only reason why people stay is to get the free degree and then quit.

10. "Perfomance Metrix"

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Counselor in Miramar, FL

I worked at DeVry University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Constant training, feedback, and if a good manager development

Cons

Must be able to work in a high pressure environment with constant change and not always strong management at lower levels

Found 953 reviews