Debenhams Sales Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Sergio Bucher
  1. "Sales manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Friendly team, fun environment, decent salary

Cons

Working hours not great for families

Debenhams2019-04-03

"Sales manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Staff discount of 25%

Cons

They employed over 15 area managers just before cutting 320 sales Manager jobs,the area managers have no input and do not know what is happening in stores,they also have store managers that stay in the office all day because of the high workload and communication coming through,we just had an external store manager that joined us and doesn't really have a clue The CEO is running the company into the ground

Advice to Management

You should have come up with a good company strategy rather than a half hearted attempt that changed very little The company won't last long

Debenhams2018-02-19

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

None that I'm aware of. Staff discount?

Cons

No thought or consideration for staff, especially those longer serving. Staff cuts and redundancies made to save money without warning. Senior management unaffected and in fact bolstered while lower paid workers are sacrificed. CEO happy to accept 1.2M bonus while company fails to reach budgets.

Advice to Management

Look for a company that rewards loyalty and recognises it's staff beyond their employee number.

Debenhams2018-02-15

"Harsh pressured environment"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Debenhams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people were nice. Good products.

Cons

Blame culture is ripe, can’t win, little support from colleagues, limited time to invest in properly training people, working with skeleton staffing with unrealistic expectations from senior management, very low salaries and regular 12+ hour shifts.

Advice to Management

Support your people.

Debenhams2017-12-29

"Salary"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at Debenhams full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Opportunities to work anywhere in the UK and possibly abroad.

Cons

poor salary, as a manager you will be expected to work a minimum of 10 to 12 hours daily with no overtime paid or annual bonus.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, they have brilliant ideas on how to improve customer service and sales. Don't be so caught up on the promotions and sales as this drives customers away from buying at full price reducing your margin and damaging your brand.

Debenhams2017-11-04

"A changing company unsure of it's direction"

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Great team, supportive HR, trying to improve itself as a company in terms of it's service proposition.

Cons

Failing to balance workload with customer service, low wages in comparison to other retailers, lack of support from head office to achieve targets.

Advice to Management

The company want to focus on service, yet they continue to increase workload and cut payroll... Need to balance these if the company strategy is to be successful.

Debenhams2017-10-06

"Good employer"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Debenhams for more than 2 years

Pros

Found them to be invested in management, progression opportunities and clear corporate vision. I felt supported in my role, and had a fabulous team in the store.

Cons

Payroll was tight and continued to get tighter as my year went on. Couldn't replace staff who left. Service was impacted by low staffing

Advice to Management

You have good communication to your reports. Just stop looking at everyone as a blanket. If i take more than another store then my payroll should reflect that

Debenhams2017-03-16
  8. "Bad Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Debenhams

Pros

The staff all members of the floor team where extremely friendly and welcoming, and some where grated very badly by senior management.

Cons

The senior Managment (Store Manager and above) whilst I was in the store for a year we had 3 store managers one was removed for bullying the 2nd a temp and third not much better.

Advice to Management

Look at what you are doing and have done previously people are people not robots would you like to be treated like that ?

Debenhams2016-07-07

"Former Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Debenhams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of training opportunities in other branches, VM help, etc. Lost heaps of weight from all the running about I was doing!

Cons

Heavily based on store card targets, you never hear about sales targets. Be prepared to have a good story in place if your team hasn't got a card on the board that day! Senior staff changed rotas without telling you, even if you've had it booked off as holiday. Worked 14 hour shifts a lot of the time, sometimes finishing at 12am and having to be back at work for 8am the following morning. Rarely get full breaks, if you...

Advice to Management

Communication!!!! Allow actual breaks, don't change rota without checking first, don't assume staff are able to work every day of every week, listen to ideas and give constructive feedback

Debenhams2016-04-25

"Debenhams employment can be a very stressful experience. I recommend working for concessions instead of the store."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

The staff are some of the best I have worked with. There is always a friendly atmosphere amongst both the customers and staff alike. Many varying promotions to keep everyone busy.

Cons

The pressure of HAVING to open the Debenhams Store card is immense. It is not a nice atmosphere where undue pressure is thrown upon every staff member. The store management I find to be heartless and sometimes mechanical, however each Department manager I have come into contact with are quite the opposite... very helpful and understanding though are also under a lot of pressure.

Advice to Management

Stop the immense amount of pressure opening Debenhams accounts! Debenhams must understand Customer service comes FIRST ... NOT the opening of a Debenhams Store card!

Debenhams2014-06-11