Dow Jones Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Dow Jones Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2019

Found 644 reviews

3.4
Dow Jones CEO William Lewis (no image)
William Lewis
  1. "Review"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Great place to work and meet a lot of talented people.

Cons

Like all other traditions news publishing business, facing competition with Google and Facebook.

Dow Jones2019-07-28
  2. "Great Company to Work For"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall the company was nicely run and work was often engaging and interesting. What I liked most about it was you were able to forge your own path and trajectory and manage successful outcomes with management being light touch. Co workers were mostly awesome people with a big heart. That alone made coming to work an absolute pleasure.

Cons

Since the News Corp acquisition in 2007, the company experienced significant transformations and a lot of employee churn. This was to be expected due to needed restructurings and realignment of business objectives. People who couldn't adapt to new and often changing operating paradigms did suffer, and more often than not opted to leave or experienced layoff due to reorganization. Executive and Middle Management was... a revolving door in some departments which did create occasional periods of instability depending on your role in the organization.

Advice to Management

Been a while since I've been with the firm but please keep the Dow Jones and WSJ brands top tier and strive to stay relevant in the social media era. Keep boosting the online businesses. Strive for top talent.

Dow Jones2019-07-25

"You can find a job elsewhere"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. Will work with some of the smartest people in the industry. The WSJ and Barron's brands are synonymous in the industry. Sometimes you get some free pizza and "swag"

Cons

Hmm where to begin? Its a toxic work environment. Most people are polite and nice on the surface, but hold the office to a cutthroat environment. Leadership claims they care very deeply about the office's "culture", but really only says that to shut everyone up. No standards or values, especially when it comes to promotions or raises. With all this, the turnover rate is extremely high, something HR turns a blind... eye to.

Advice to Management

The constant revolving door makes production go down, which will ruin whatever plans/goals you have for the future. You need to treat your employees with respect and give them the recognition they deserve.

Dow Jones2019-08-05

"Don't Bother if You Have a Soul"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Prepares you how to kiss corporate butt. Lowers your morals. Teaches you how to lie while looking someone straight in the face.

Cons

Sucks the life out of you. Depression. And see everything I wrote under Pros.

Advice to Management

No wonder you lot like going to Vegas...the weather is a close to hell as you're going to get.

Dow Jones2019-07-28

"Bad - Stay away at all costs"

Former Employee - Reporter in Barcelona

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

global brand, access to wsj journalism (strong ethics and among the best reporters in the business), decent city (barcelona), lots of downtime.

Cons

absolutely no career progression prospects. the person running the news op in barcelona couldn't care less about what her reporters' ambitions are, and will tell you so if you ask. it's demeaning, repetitive work that has no social, political, cultural impact. you're writing for machines (algos) owned by people that make 10 times the money you make rewriting press releases at 6 in the morning. no promotions... available. if you get promoted (only one person so far in the two year lifespan of the op, and they apparently threatened to leave amid a spate of departures that would've made local management look even worse), it's because you help with the rota/low-level management, not because you know how to report, or will be given the chance to delve into meatier assignments. you will feel like you are being constantly infantilized. add the liminality and pointlessness of what you do (real time news on some very obscure European companies that literally nobody cares about) to the fact that WSJ is pivoting more and more towards being a US newspaper with bureaus around the world, rather than a global newspaper with hubs around the world, and you're in for a depressing ride. pay and benefits are miserable. ny management, while somehow paradoxically present, is inept and will lie to your face about future prospects. a senior editor once boasted about getting a $1m+ contract for the wires. writers make 28k euros per year. that's the level of witlessness. bottom line: avoid. don't take this job unless you're really starting out in news and need a full time gig or know how to sell your stories to editors in ny or london.

Advice to Management

stop lying to people about what they can actually achieve here.

Dow Jones2019-07-31
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in London, England

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great atmosphere and corporate culture. Plenty of employee resources, whatever your needs. Great location by London Bridge.

Cons

London is a satellite HQ to the New York office and that can really be felt at times. Not a lot of room for professional development or career progression in EMEA. A lot of reorgs and restructures that affect junior employees' development.

Dow Jones2019-07-12
  7. "Nicely ran"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

I worked at Dow Jones part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits of working for huge corporation

Cons

Co workers not there to work

Dow Jones2019-07-04
  8. "Vibrant environment but stressful"

Former Employee - Corporate Marketing Intern in London, England

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of young people, so it was fun and vibrant.

Cons

Stressful, reward not worth the effort.

Advice to Management

More incentives to retain employees

Dow Jones2019-07-17
  9. "Good benefits and good people"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in London, England

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with and good workplace benefits.

Cons

Not much opportunity for progression available.

Advice to Management

Do more to listen to customers in order to maintain competitive advantage.

Dow Jones2019-07-15

"Intern"

Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones

Pros

Vibrant and up to date office space

Cons

A typical day as an intern here, in my experience, was sitting around and doing absolutely nothing, which some people may actually like. However, the management did not seem to care about helping you grow whatsoever and often forgot you existed. I didn’t learn anything at all despite me constantly asking to help out with projects or anything I could get my hands on. On the rare occasion that I had something to do, i... would get 0 acknowledgment and no sense of appreciation from my managers which made me feel extremely inadequate. I’ve had several internships before but this was by far the worst experience and I do not recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Try to at least show you care about your employees, even the interns.

Dow Jones2019-07-24