DreamWorks Animation Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 13 Apr 2020

4.2
DreamWorks Animation President Margie Cohn  (no image)
Margie Cohn
Pros
  • "Great culture, free food (Pre-Covid19)(in 77 reviews)

• "Lots of responsibilities, great intern enrichment program, lots of connection between departments, free breakfast and lunch, focus on intern education(in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very low pay compared to other studios(in 20 reviews)

• "Poor upper management planning and tendency to give irrelevant notes(in 14 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"DWTV - You realize how bad the company is once you leave"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free food (but the food sucks after a year) - The people are great - Nice campus! - You learn a lot under tight deadlines. - They try to keep you on for another project. - Cool events.

Cons

- Very low pay compared to other studios. They tend to hire new people so they can pay them less. - I've seen many of my friends taken advantage of and asked to do tasks above their paygrade/position, but not get the promotion/pay bump. - Poor upper management planning and tendency to give irrelevant notes. None of the execs have creative backgrounds and it does ruin the show. - No risk taking - shows come out pretty... bad. - Not enough development/smart planning time to make a show successful. - It's a constant repetitive grind with inflexible deadlines. - Budgets are very tight.

"Fat Mangement"

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time

Pros

Beautiful Campus, Talented Artists mostly. Complimentary breakfast, lunch and snacks.

Cons

Like so many other companies and studios now days it is FAT with useless, incompetent middle and upper management and artistic Leadership who have little if any knowledge of the actual day to day workings or the endless financial waist on unnecessary bells and whistles that bleed that company coffers and bloat film costs at the expense of the actual workers and story quality.

3. "Matte Painter"

Former Employee - Matte Painter in Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great working environment and good working hours.

Cons

Poor upper management leadership. Difficulty in getting state of the art tools.

4. "Production"

1.0

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time

Pros

It's was great atmosphere and people we had fun work life balance great job benefit s

Cons

Long hours on weekends upper management issues

"Great people, challenging work, management politics"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

* Great coworkers * Interesting problems to solve.

Cons

* Dying industry in the US. Most of the US animation industry has been off-shored as the animation market has saturated and DVD sales and box office receipts have plummeted over the past 10 years. * Lots of awful politics in middle and upper management which made moving from an engineering role to a management position undesirable.

"Assistant"

in Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation

Pros

My boss was phenomenal Food Lots of snacks Great location/ campus is beautiful

Cons

Poor upper management Jeffrey doesn't care.

"Dream Over Worked"

2.0
    Production in Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation for more than 3 years

Pros

The food is pretty good, though I've had friends find bugs in the salad. There are a lot of wonderful people that work here. There are some occasional nice perks like parties, free art books or dvds when their movies come out.

Cons

First of all they are terrible with the pay. I don't care how much free food you throw in my face, most of the PAs can barely afford to live. In fact it's very easy to track that they've been low balling every single new hire (even outside of production). There's some incredibly toxic personalities on the TV side. A show run by people that are constantly lying to their teams. The artists and production people cannot bring issues up to HR or upper management without being burnt for it by their immediate supervisors. People that want off said team can't even move because their supervisors block them from promotions onto other shows. These are incredibly wonderful & talented employees that hate their jobs because there's absolutely no respect given by their bosses, even if they try to bring up the issues. There are other teams here that have WONDERFUL management. I hope the higher ups finally notice this specific show is falling apart due to terrible management hidden by promises of parties & hookey days. Shows have also been told to drop their quality to save money, with the ideal in mind that eventually all the jobs will go overseas. All this leaves is low morale & burnt out talent. The Feature side is alright, a lot of people leaving because they're tired of what they're working on. The company is so scared of taking risks, they suck any fun out of it, and produce a lot of bland work. (Not to the fault of the artists, they are working hard!). I think a lot of people are concerned for the future though. PDI was shut down, but by the end of the year it was like everyone forgot about that. I'm worried another feature failure could cripple the company once and for all. Jeffrey is alright as a CEO, but gets pretty cocky and gloats about his run ins with celebrities during studio updates. In the past I've admired his work, but now it's clearly all business to him.

Continue reading

"Steady Employment; Uncertain Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Atmosphere, Passionate about the Art of Animation, Great People, Steady Employment, Decent Hours, Some Genuinely Great Projects

Cons

Relatively Low Pay, Very Uncertain Future, Too Many in the Upper Management and Executive Ranks, Some Genuinely Weak Projects

"Coordinator"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant/Coordinator

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The community! The people are fantastic. Most everyone at the studio loves their job and therefore loves to work with everyone else who loves their job. Amazing feats get accomplished everyday because everyone is bought into their commitment.

Cons

Work has been very unsteady since 2013. Major lay-offs and a whole closure of the northern studio has many feeling insecure about the longevity of the studio. Also, there is a huge jump in salary. If you are in the entry-level through Prod Sup category, you don't get paid much. As soon as you jump over into upper management (if you can - there aren't many opportunities) the pay is extraordinarily higher. It's a very top heavy studio.

Continue reading
  10. "Amazing place to work for"

5.0
    Former Employee - Data Center Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture, work ethic, socialization....everything is amazing

Cons

Lots of layers for upper management. Communication can be a problem sometimes. Closing of RWC studio.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 English Reviews