Duke Clinical Research Institute Clinical Trial Coordinator Reviews

1 Rating

"Challenging, Frustrating, Rewarding"

Former Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

I learned so much about research, it was a great learning experience.

Cons

I wish there had been more collaboration and more support.

DCRI

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at the DCRI. We are happy to hear that you feel the DCRI provided a great learning environment. DCRI prides itself on building strong teams with leaders who believe in our mission and support their staff. We agree that collaboration and team support is extremely important; listening to our employees and collaborating with one another is crucial to our mission and work we do every day to improve the lives of patients around the world through innovative research. Thank you again for your feedback.

"Invest in your remaining staff"

2.0
    Current Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator in Durham, NC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed my first year at DCRI working with some very bright individuals with great ideas. Able to work remotely to some extent. Educational opportunities, however it needs to be very specific to position. Having said that, it has been more difficult to get approval for trainings due to DCRIs current financial situation.

Cons

Over the last several months, my opinion of DCRI has completely changed. While I have enjoyed the idea of working at a place attempting to be 'innovative', I think DCRI has a long way to go before they can claim this label. The projects seem chaotic in an industry where planning and execution are critical. Most Project Leaders I have work with do not lead, they manage by intimidation or they are simply not present with their project team. I suppose it may be a lack of training, tools, resources, etc, but in my experience this is one of the worst places I have experienced for project leadership. There seems to be a lot of distrust between staff and management in general right now, likely due to the recent RIF. That may be challenging for DCRI to get past, given how long that process took place, and how the working environment was allowed to spiral downward for so long.

DCRI

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to receive your input, and want to acknowledge our areas for improvement. We believe your advice hits the target and is aligned with our strategic plan--allow for good ideas to come from everyone, and listen! Our focus on innovation is to ensure that the DCRI continues to play a unique role in determining how clinical research should be done--our legacy, and what sponsors need from us. There are changes afoot for the DCRI and we are excited about our future. We hope that, in the coming months, you and our colleagues will also experience the excitement we feel in shaping our future. Thank you.

"Horrible few years"

1.0
    Former Employee - Clinical Trials Specialist in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great resume builder for starting out career

Cons

Outdated technology, unhappy employees, horrible pay. Way too many instances of people who have worked here 20+ years and get away with whatever they want. Employees who produce quality work are not valued. No real opportunity for career growth. Management takes advantage of employees. RIF was announced in Januery 2019- people were not let go until June 2019 - 5 months of stressed out employees is a very bad thing and a slap in the face to those who have worked hard for this company for years. DCRI has gone way downhill in the past 5 years. No real leadership.

Sr. Writer and Content Strategist

Thank you for providing your thoughts and sharing your experience. We strive to strike a balance in all areas -- honoring our team members’ experience, offering growth and development opportunities, transparency, and implementing innovative ideas in a clinical research environment. We have shared your input with our senior management team as part of our renewed efforts in operational improvements. Our mission remains constant as we evolve to align with our sponsors’ research plans and needs.

"Pretty Good- but not what I expected"

Current Contractor - Clinical Trial Assistant

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute

Pros

Flexible, and understanding. Most people work remotely once a week

Cons

No place to grow or advance.

5. "Clinical Trials Coordinator II - Clinical Events Classification – Safety Surveillance"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Clinical Trials Coordinator II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Leadership (M. Wilson, L. Lillis, R. Lopes, G. Haque and many others) - supportive of staff, Great nurturing environment - A HOME.. permanent employees do not leave... many here 10+ years, Executive leadership will grow you and support career path growth... Flexible work/life balance - my role was 100% remote, Leadership making real effort to get salaries up/more competitive, Duke Benefits/retirement the best I've ever seen in my life

Cons

can't think of any - Duke known to have salaries a little lower than private sector, but benefits/job security/perks more than make up for that

Continue reading
  6. "Clinical Trial Coordinator"

Former Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Can be hard to navigate established routines

"DCRI"

Current Employee - Clinical Trials Coordinator II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, friendly co-workers, job security

Cons

low salaries (comparatively), slow career growth options

Continue reading

"A decent place to work."

Current Employee - Clinical Trials Coordinator I in Durham, NC
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent pay, lots of activities.

Cons

Parking is expensive, lots of work that is sometimes overwhelming. No diversity in management.

Continue reading

"Happy to have landed at the DCRI!!!!!"

Current Employee - Clinical Trial Manager in Durham, NC

Pros

I have found the work/life balance at the DCRI fantastic. I had worked with large CROs in the past here in the Raleigh/Durham area and now realize that truely having a work life balance is possible! It doesn't come without hard work, but the flexibility and ability to actually be a part of my kids life and all of their activities is wonderful. Management seems to be focused on improving the culture with collaboration, thoughts about new workspaces and new technologies. All the while, keeping a flexible environment for everyone to succeed.

Cons

Lack a bit in technology, but efforts are already in place and moving to provide study teams with the latest technology to make day to day work for efficient and cohesive across all studies. Efforts seem to be moving toward updating workspaces to have a more collaborative/open feel.

Executive Director, DCRI

This is exactly the type of feedback we like to receive at the DCRI. As an academic institution, we know that we offer more than just a competitive salary – we have incredible benefits through Duke and a work environment that our employees enjoy coming to each day—not to mention great people to work with. Thanks for acknowledgment of our investments to improve our technology platforms. This is just one area where we are focused to ensure that the DCRI continues to be a stellar organization to work for. ~Eric Peterson, Executive Director

"DCRI"

2.0
    Clinical Trials Project Leader in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute for less than a year

Pros

DCRI employees are very nice.

Cons

The salary below industry average

Found 12 reviews