Dun & Bradstreet Director Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Oct 3, 2019

2.2
Dun & Bradstreet CEO Anthony Jabbour
Anthony Jabbour

"Good Work/Life Balance ... No Career Path Upward"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice colleagues, sane hours, some good solutions

Cons

No career advancement, old technology, extremely political - rather than performance based culture

Advice to Management

Embrace innovation and treat people with respect

Dun & Bradstreet2019-10-04

"Constant Change"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Allentown, PA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of smart people and a great focus on goals and turning the company around.

Cons

Constant change and culture shift due to the lack of people resources to get all the work done.

Dun & Bradstreet2019-09-30
  3. "Customer Operations"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture, People and working relationships

Cons

Weak Senior Leadership and Vision

Dun & Bradstreet2019-07-11

"Horrendous Sales Environment"

Former Employee - Account Director in Melbourne

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you can survive here you can survive anything. The portfolio cons you into thinking this will be a great place to work and HR dress it up as fast paced. The positive reviews on here clearly written by the poor people who have to justify the shocking turnover.

Cons

The culture is shocking the CEO is a bully who berates his leadership ship team who in turn bully their staff. Long hours early and late teleconferences are the norm topped with a commission plan that is for most unacceptable. The odd role can hit big numbers but most carry targets they can never achieve. Of my induction in November 2018 half of the Sales people had left within 6 months. These were senior... successful individuals who thought illion was a career move. Many left without roles to go to rather than endure the micromanagement a day longer. It’s owned by venture capitalists and led by people with shares only interested in the short term and their returns when the place sells (is on market) do not go here. It will break you people are broken and humiliated.

Advice to Management

Fair work Australia will catch up with you soon.

Dun & Bradstreet2019-07-01

"Private Equity take over of D&B"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

D&B has very good data and it is a prominent player. Great brand name and value proposition.

Cons

Private equity buyers are focused on cost cutting and not on growth. They will remove a lot of institutional knowledge and be left with 100 years old databases. They have no vision for growth or improvement

Advice to Management

Try to understand the market landscape and how you can differentiate. Get detailed knowledge instead of forming strategies based on superficial knowledge.

Dun & Bradstreet2019-03-22

"Outdated business model, declining performance"

Former Employee - Director in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time

Pros

Work environment is quite nice.

Cons

Business has beens struggling, loosing customers, laying off people.

Dun & Bradstreet2019-01-14

"Running in circles"

Former Employee - Director in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are quite intelligent. Expected as the 'product' is complex (data) and sub-products are created to meet a solution

Cons

No relevance between market and list pricing. Slows sales down and potentially violates agreements including those where there are substantial legal and financial penalties

Advice to Management

Stop the constant swings between "marketing driven" or "finance driven" or "sales driven"

Dun & Bradstreet2018-10-16

"Grab someone’s coattails and stay along for the ride"

Current Employee - Director in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/life balance, including work from home. We removed the formal review process, which was nice for some, though it created a lack of clarity for others.

Cons

Review: This is not a short review, by any means. But it’s accurate and should give you a good picture of my employer, so please read the whole thing if you are contemplating a career here. When I joined D&B several years ago, this was a place that yearned for innovation – through new revenue generating ideas and major overhauls to the data supply chain. However, we are an impatient company, and due to... lack of top-line growth, we axed our prior CEO and brought in a hip, “modern”, CEO from the digital space that was going to completely disrupt our culture and strategy. With his new set of C-level execs, we ushered in a focused strategy towards growth and a sexy new brand while removing some of the stuffy bureaucratic leadership levels that existed when I joined. With all the change, came the layoffs. Some were expected and removed the redundancy that the original regime brought on. But at the same time, we appointed a new COO, who was terrible and had no idea how to inspire people, let alone all of sales and product. We made some questionable acquisitions, burning through our cash and integrating management from all these firms into our own. There was an assumption that our culture would mimic that of a start-up through these acquisitions. The opposite happened! Instead of being lean and agile, we increased our operating expenses. And what did we spend on? T&E! Workshops upon workshops, sending 10 people to events when you only needed 3, or people traveling all over the world for one-hour meetings when a WebEx would suffice. The wannabes emerged with lots of strategy decks, but no results. And even worse, they took credit for whichever few successes the company actually did have. D&B thought they were outside-in, but in reality, it was inside-out since the wannabes actually didn’t have any real substantial work experience outside of D&B. We had people that could do whatever they wanted because they had their “advocates”. Basically, if you were a former chief of staff or had a good relationship with a top 5 exec, you were set for your D&B life. No accountability required! So as this vicious cycle continued, the legends in their own minds continued spending and hiring/promoting wrong talent, while the worker bees and revenue-generators were let go over time. So where are we now? We just annihilated the rest of the most recent C-level regime, including the CEO for (surprise, surprise) lack of growth, the COO for his extracurriculars, and the CMO because he didn’t really know marketing. But it’s OK, because we’re 175 years old and we’re going to keep on trucking. Other Cons: We created our own corporate microcosm where you could do absolutely nothing of value, but still feel like an MVP. Most of these folks wouldn’t last 3 months in NYC or SF firms. In the summers, we sometimes had a shortage of desks due to all the interns. Speaking of which, we brought in 15-20 high school summer interns, which we basically babysat for 6 weeks. The college interns were essentially the sons and daughters of the execs, so none of them ended up sticking around post-graduation. Nepotism is huge at D&B, so if you’re related to an exec or one of their EA’s, you’re set!

Advice to Management

Do some real soul searching. A top 3 management consulting company barely understands our business, let alone what changes are needed. Sell the company to a place that will remove the idiots and focus on real growth.

Dun & Bradstreet2018-06-03

"Sad End to a Once Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Director in London, England

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well known brand, respected risk scores and marketing data, good work life balance,

Cons

Trading on its past glory and survives (just) on its monopoly IP of the DUNS number. This isn't enough to ensure ensure its future. Terrible product development. General lack of direction, a feeling of drift. Management relying solely on cost cutting to increase margin.

Advice to Management

The company has relied on its monopoly of the DUNS number plus data aggregation to the exclusion of creating added value through product development. Given its lack of innovation, D&B will probably be taken over if anyone can work out how to make money from this relic of an earlier age.

Dun & Bradstreet2018-06-21
  10. "D&B is cultural nirvana"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People, culture, flexibility. I love working at D&B. The transformation since Bob Carrigan joined has been steady and positive. There leadership team is inspiring. There is a great focus on people.

Cons

Not a ton of budgetary flexibility. Things are tight and there is not a lot of fluff...for most. It is not so bad that the necessities aren't maintained, but there are times when choices need to be made.

Advice to Management

Weed out the few who aren't additive and bring in more fresh ideas. Sales needs to be hungrier.

Dun & Bradstreet2017-06-24