E. & J. Gallo Winery Employee Reviews about "modesto"

Updated 4 Dec 2020

4.6
E. & J. Gallo Winery President and CEO Ernest Gallo (no image)
Ernest Gallo
Pros
  • "Excellent work-life balance; Great corporate culture(in 114 reviews)

• "Family owned and the most integrity I've seen in a wine company(in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • "Modesto is a bit far from cities and its benefits(in 85 reviews)

• "At times work life balance can be a challenge to balance against those high expectations(in 82 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "modesto"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Excellent corporate culture and benefits"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company does an excellent job taking care of its own people, and the effort shows in terms of corporate culture, diversity, and the company's overall success. It is also one of the most vertically integrated companies I have been a part of, which creates an emphasis of rotating throughout the business if you would like to.

Cons

It is in Modesto, California.

December 7, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We truly appreciate your feedback and are so glad to hear you are happy. Cheers to you!

2. "You Will Gain So Much Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for less than a year

Pros

- You get what you put into the internship. There are so many projects to take on at any time. It is an amazing way to gain experience and learn more about all the different teams the Modesto campus has to offer. Plus you get amazing deals on products as an employee!

Cons

- It is in Modesto, which can be unappealing to some

December 7, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your thorough feedback. We are so glad to hear that you had a great intern experience and we hope you consider future opportunities with Gallo. Cheers!

3. "Family owned"

4.0

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Access to family members. Great educational programs. Work/life balance. Family friendly events throughout the year. One of the best places to work if you want to live in/around Modesto

Cons

Some levels of leadership can be self-serving, covering up for their mistakes by re-organizing their department. Some projects can be all-consuming and require long hours in order to hit certain deadlines that are built into Sr. Leadership bonus structure. Located in Modesto...

October 7, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Glassdoor. If you are open to a confidential conversation, I would appreciate the opportunity to better understand your feedback. Thanks for all you do and I hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards, Susan Hensley Vice President, Human Resources

4. "Great company"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Family owned, room for growth

Cons

The location of the main facility is not great, Modesto isn’t the wine country of the coast of California.

August 16, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your review and we certainly appreciate your "Advice to Management." We will be sharing your feedback with Sr. Leadership. Thanks for all you do!

5. "Gallo is a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture, leadership cares about employees, mission for innovation

Cons

Although the main campus is amazing, Modesto is not the greatest location

July 31, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for sharing your experience. Cheers!

6. COVID-19

"Beware of the modesto HR"

Current Employee - Controls Technician in Fresno, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to work, you can learn a variety of skills in PLC, HMI and many complex processes

Cons

Here you should know, The HRs especially the ones in modesto are not to Help you, I was on a student visa legally allowed to work, I had to submit a training plan got everything approved with my team lead and I submitted it, few weeks later the HR calls saying the company cannot to this training plan neither can we change or give a new one and this was after working for 10 months, I had to resign and find a new job in the middle of a pandemic even after doing everything correct on my part, hope this helps someone who is a legal immigrant.

June 12, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We will be sharing your review with our HR Leadership team. Best of luck to you.

7. "Amazing company, leadership and colleagues"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

During these enduring time, it constantly proves why I love this company. The way leadership prioritizes employees and the community is unbelievable. We donate to causes, produce hand sanitizer, move people around creatively to keep everyone employ, provide extra health benefits and flexibility. And we're still hiring! In addition, you're never bored. There is such potential with how this organization is growing.

Cons

Modesto is a bit far from cities and its benefits.

May 12, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for your feedback and for all you do for Gallo. We truly appreciate your leadership!

8. "Talent Acquisition is a mess"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Gallo overall is a good company. The discount on wine is a nice plus. Living in Modesto, it’s a good place to work, but really the only game in town.

Cons

Do not work in Talent Acquisition. It’s led by a team of inept managers that have no business managing people. The managers lead by fear and morale is terrible. No growth or development in recruiting. They will hire externally over internal consistently. If you want to be constantly overworked and stressed, join Gallo. You won’t recruit here, you are moving people through a system that is geared towards finding your mistakes, everything is time stamped, and managers micromanage, especially when you make a mistake. If you are looking to be a recruiter, don’t waste your time and energy. You’ll only be frustrated and stressed.

March 26, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your feedback. We are concerned by your review and will be launching efforts to better understand Talent Acquisition’s team dynamics and morale. It is very important that our team feels appreciated and valued, and I encourage you to actively participate in sharing your feedback during these upcoming sessions. If you would prefer, you can also reach out to me directly. Best Regards, Susan Hensley Vice President, Human Resources

9. "Amazing company and fun industry, but not ideal location"

4.0
    Former Employee - Brand Manager

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Company is family-owned and it is clear that they genuinely care about their employees. - Best-in-class training and education opportunities. - Forward-thinking marketing leaders, despite smaller budgets. - Strong leadership across multiple business units. It was invaluable have leaders with extensive experience & tenure. - Excellent benefits & perks.

Cons

- Headquarters in Modesto is not ideal and can make for a long commute. You can live affordably in Modesto, but there aren't a ton of jobs for a household with two full-time workers. - Promotion decisions were inconsistent. It can depend on work assignment and open roles, rather than merit.

February 11, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck in the future. Cheers!

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong ability to rotate across positions, even across functions in some areas of the company. Very nice Modesto campus. Lots of tenured employees provide great knowledge balanced by fresh perspectives recruited from the outside. Gallo does not stand still. And let's face it, the wine industry is just a lot of fun.

Cons

With all the opportunities, the past year has been unusually busy with lots going on.

December 23, 2019Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate all you do to make Gallo a great place to work. Happy Holidays!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 97 English Reviews