Eastman Employee Reviews about "small town"

Updated 15 Sep 2019

3.7
Eastman Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa
Pros
Cons
  • "Decision making is a very lengthy process, an employee needs to have a champion to have a career(in 43 reviews)

• "Small town, large company -- transitioning to global company is difficult(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "small town"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Eastman is a great company"

Former Intern - Intern in Kingsport, TN
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Eastman

Pros

* Great company culture * Lots of opportunity

Cons

* Small town, large company -- transitioning to global company is difficult

Eastman2019-09-15

"Commitment to location (Kingsport, TN) is a major consideration for career opportunities"

1.0
    Former Employee - Corporate Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is going through major business model change to catch up with the rest of the industry. 30% of employees approaching retirement age in the next few years. Therefore, lots of opportunities within the company. However, local connection or commitment to the location (Kingsport, TN) has become a major consideration for any career opportunities. Performance is secondary or even third tier consideration for career progress.

Cons

Company HQ located in a very remote area, Kingsport, TN. Most of the people in the company still have a small town mind-set. Company policy rewards loyalty instead of performance. For example, if 2 people doing exactly the same job, one could have an office and makes much more than the other just because the prior has been with the company for longer time. This is such a disappointment for a global company. Another thing has bothered me personally is Eastman likes to get in employee's personal life. For example, almost anyone who joined the company and moved from outside of Kingsport, TN will be asked when they are going to buy a house in town. This question will be asked many times for years until they actually bought a house. I have seen people at all levels, even Director level, to be excluded from promotion because of not having a house in town. Many people have left the company because of lack of career development opportunities.

Eastman2018-05-23

"Excellent company for innovation, professional development, and career growth!"

Current Employee - Advanced Chemist in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Management really cares about its employees professional development and gives us the resources to complete tasks successfully. -Cost of living -Beautiful area -Competitive pay

Cons

-Small town (could be a plus to some) with lack of diversity and open-minded people.

Eastman2017-03-29

"Great Employees, Poor Management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman full-time for less than a year

Pros

The strength of Eastman will always be the boots on the ground. Coworkers are friendly and genuinely motivated to help you succeed. Front line management is focused on providing their employees with the tools they need to do their jobs. They also excel at mentoring and growing their employees. Driven and successful people are highly rewarded.

Cons

There are many layers of middle management, and from the bottom it is unclear how much value they add. Lower middle management (just above front-line supervisors) tends to be populated by yes-men that have little understanding of the processes or people they manage. Ineffective managers who have impressed somebody in the past are shuffled around to where they can do the least damage. Kingsport is a small town, and those who's parents work at Eastman get promoted with uncanny regularity. Decision-making is slow (except in the case of a manager's pet project!) such that most good ideas are not commercialized until the market has moved on and the product will no longer be profitable. The Executive Suite like to talk about the strength of Eastman's employees and how they are the reason for the company's success, especially before and after announcing layoffs or benefit reductions so the company can meet its earning growth targets. Layoffs are often done quietly. What was once a very paternalistic company where "Uncle George" Eastman took care of his employees is quickly becoming an investor-focused profit machine.

Eastman2016-11-14

"Great starting point"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Eastman is a great place to start your career, you'll get some of the best training in the industry. I was able to work with managers that truly cared about me and my development. I worked with some of the smartest people in the industry. Eastman still has many great employees, and I would say they have employed some of the smartest people in the industry. I am proud that I worked at Eastman, I still recommend young people consider Eastman as an initial employer.

Cons

Lower than average pay than the industry. Few opportunities outside of Kingsport, TN. No incentive to keep pay in line with the industry when situated in a small town with very few other options available without relocation. HR and Management recognize this and implement various measures knowing many employees will tolerate more than in most geographic areas with more employment options.

Eastman2016-01-07
  6. "Balanced"

4.0
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part about Eastman is the people. I love coming to work every day and working with some of the smartest and kindest people I know. I am challenged every day in my job, and I am constantly learning. Eastman cares about my work-life balance.

Cons

Eastman is located in a small town, so it's not always the most exciting place to be. Also, Eastman's communication can be slow.

Eastman2015-11-02
  7. "The name of the game at Eastman is INTEGRITY."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time

Pros

This company strives to provide value to all its stakeholders by offering valuable products from safe and environmentally friendly processes. Everyone is empowered to identify safety risks and STOP any activity that could prevent someone from going home free from injury at the end of the day. Management is keenly aware of Eastman's role in protecting the environment so future generations can enjoy the planet as much as we do.

Cons

If anything, the area has a small-town feel. For some that's a benefit. For others who desire a more urban lifestyle, a different geography may be required.

Eastman2015-10-01
  8. "Great company"

4.0
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with a lot of very smart and driven people.

Cons

The only con I'd say is that it is located in a small town, which is not my preference.

Eastman2015-10-01
  9. "Individual views are respected"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Individual views are respected in a collaborative work environment. Good internal communications, providing insight to corporate strategies and objectives. Company supports work life balance and family (active employees and retirees) health initiatives. Good community sponsor.

Cons

Small town maybe a difficult adjustment. Company supports many groups and activities to compensate for activities normally provided in larger cities.

Eastman2015-09-08
  10. "Respectful, supportive work place"

Current Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Kingsport, TN
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Eastman for less than a year

Pros

-competitive pay -supportive, helpful managers -almost anyone is ready to drop what they're doing to help you -not cutthroat or overly competitive at all -some departments offer flexible work schedule where you can work 4 9-hour shifts and work a half-day on Fridays-- longer weekend!! -great cafeteria food -great management and directors, most genuinely love what they do and the people that work for them

Cons

-Kingsport and the surrounding areas are VERY small town so if you're here and single, it can be kinda boring -Depending on the building you work in or which way the wind blows, it can be very smelly (hence the chemical manufacturing) -Availability of well-run restaurant options are minimal

Eastman2015-08-06