Elastic Employee Reviews about "distributed company"

Updated Jul 31, 2020

Found 15 of over 306 reviews

4.2
Elastic Founder and CEO Shay Banon
Shay Banon
Pros
  • "I wasn't a huge participant in the open-source world before joining Elastic, but I've really enjoyed getting more involved(in 24 reviews)

• "The work-life balance at Elastic is what you make of it(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Their hope is the open source model and its low entry price is going to drive enough potential demand for up-selling later to generate revenue(in 8 reviews)

• "Distributed company means email/slacks come in at all hours(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "distributed company"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Intense, exciting, incredible

Jul 31, 2020 - Principal Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Where to begin? The leadership is incredible - great product strategy, grounded approach to running the business, and incredible empathy toward both customers and employees. During COVID, the entire company actually gets 2 extra days off every month and for most roles, these are coordinated so we really do get to switch off and focus on family. My last job treated their people well, but this is just above and beyond. There's also been some great company-wide conversations on topics like BLM and diversity which have revealed a leadership that really is focused on doing the right thing, and not just for PR reasons. The compensation is generous (across the board, including medical, 401k matching, salary and stock grants), especially if you live in a place with a reasonable cost of living (which most roles can, since the company is distributed). Employee expectations are high and nearly everyone executes at a high level, and I feel we're compensated accordingly. The products are great and the pace of improvement is incredible which makes it really exciting to be here and see where this already fast-growing company can go in the future. The work itself is intense and there's always something going on (company is fully distributed) and many roles have a customer support element which can create a lot of context switches and sense of urgency. But on the other hand, it's really rewarding to be able to help customers and engage with those using the products you build. The connection to the customer and business success here is palpable. The culture is super open, with most conversations happening in open slack channels or group threads, or large (usually optional) zoom meetings that are recorded. That can be overwhelming but overall it makes for a place where even the most senior leaders are accessible and not hidden behind multiple layers of bureaucracy. Comms from the CEO on down are informal, open and honest, which makes for a very down-to-earth culture. I could go on, but overall, it's really an amazing place to be. My only long-term concern is burn out due to the fast pace (see below), but for now I'm enjoying it.

Cons

The pace of work and mental load of so much open communication can be overwhelming at times, though it does fluctuate throughout the week (in my experience mid-week is usually intense but Fridays are pretty quiet). Distributed company means email/slacks come in at all hours. That doesn't mean you're expected to respond at all hours, but it means you have to be more disciplined in setting boundaries. Some roles get context-switched a lot which contributes to stress and inefficiency. Hopefully as the products and processes mature that'll improve, but right now this can be a challenge.

42 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Great company

Apr 20, 2020 - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits for the US: - HSA contributions by employer almost to the contribution limits - Fantastic health, dental, and eye care plan - Generous 401K match program taht does dollar-to-dollar match up to 6% - Space-time program that allows you time to learn/pick up a new relevant skill - Distributed remote work force so great work life balance - Everyone really friendly and helpful

Cons

- Distributed company so you'll have to juggle a bit of timezone magic but then again, your work schedule is as flexible as it can be

23 people found this review helpful

VP, Global HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Elastic. We’re very proud of our distributed work environment, particularly in engineering. Being distributed across the globe makes our teams diverse with different ideas, people and cultures. We empower our employees to work their own schedule, giving more flexibility without having to work to the set 9-5 hours.

3. 5.0

Best company I have _ever_ worked for

Mar 5, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love this company so much. The distributed nature allows you the flexibility to live you life or as they say "be home for diner". The mentality of the company is low stress while still maintaining a commitment to delivering an incredible product. As a product, we cannot easily have a continuous deployment where we can just push new code to fix break changes, and everyone has the latest patched version. As a result, We have the concept of a "train" release, meaning the train is going to leave the station on time and if your code is ready to go, perfect. But if you're pushing to get your code in, that usually goes hand-in-hand with bugs and errors. So at Elastic, we strive to make the best improvements to our products but try not to sacrifice quality. I have never seen this forward-thinking mentality at any other company One of my favorite thing about this company in Shay! I love listening to him talk about the company because he describes what went through his head to make each decision, it's incredible. He is one of those people that doesn't jump to an opinion on something until he has all the facts and has actually taken the time to think about all the circumstances at play. He knows how much power his voice caries, particularly from a code perspective, and will sometimes take a back seat to let the talented developers come to a solution on their own, without his influence. He genuinely cares about all Elasticians and is constantly improving the culture of the company to be more inclusive and more enjoyable. Also, he is just a down to earth guy that you would bump into on the train and have a great conversation with, never knowing he was the CEO of a company. The work-life balance at Elastic is what you make of it. The distributed team makes for a lot of flexibility and a lot less structure, in terms of time. I have been known to work late some days as I am already home and one hour leads to 2 or 3 past when I should have stopped for the day. So in a way, you make your own balance and it is important to have the self-discipline to stop at a reasonable time. Another thing I love is the people. I have never met a more jovial and supportive group of people in my career. On top of that you oftentimes, work with people all over the country from Italy, Germany, Switzerland and more. When people first join the company they go through an in-person orientation of sorts and you learn about how the company started and how it has progressed into what it is today. You learn about all of the facets of the company from engineering to support. And as I sat there and listened I was AMAZED at how this company and the leadership, have iterated on things that were not working in the past and found a "secret sauce" for how they do what they do. I think one thing that is on everyone's mind is the TC. At Elastic I feel so privileged to work at such an amazing company, I would take less money to work for this company then they are paying me. That said I think the TC is above the industry average. There are tradeoffs certainly tradeoff in TC with working for a remote company but I choose elastic over Amazon and many others and have never looked back. Having friends from Dropbox, Netflix, Google their compensation is often better, particularly with the equity, but several of them now want to work for Elastic after they hear me constantly praise the company. I could write more but I'll stop here.

Cons

I have been with Elastic almost a year now and I am struggling to come up with any negatives. I think the only negative was during the interview process which was about 2 weeks between responses seemed excessive but at the time I was unaware they were a distributed company, so I cut them some slack on that. But overall we could be better at response punctuality during interviews. There is also sometimes a lot of change, moving teams around to facilitate a given initiative in the short-term while we hire people to fill the gaps for the long-term. It is a smart tactic to get things done but can be somewhat taxing on the developers.

21 people found this review helpful

VP, Global HR

Thank you so much for sharing such great and positive feedback! Our Source Code is at the heart of the Elastic culture and it is super important to us that we can all live by those values as a company. Being a distributed by design work environment, is something we work hard to achieve success and awesome to hear that it is working so effectively for you. Great to have you as part of the Elastic family!

4. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great company for senior developers

May 2, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Tel Aviv-Yafo
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The future of employment. A truly distributed company. - An actual work life balance - You get to choose your own tasks - Flexible career path and personal development - Decent amount of travel -

Cons

- Code is often imperfect - mix of technologies and migrations in motion all the time - With so many great developers, things tend to get over architectured - Very rapid growth is not easy

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic Leadership

Nov 12, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

strong product, distributed company, compensation & benefits

Cons

The sales team feels as if it's a boys' club. Senior Leadership will push for demotions that are unrelated to performance but rather due to ethically compromising reasons. During my time here, I've reached out to HR/leadership a number of times about discriminatory remarks made by two members of the executive leadership team about myself - the company took no action to mediate the situations but rather made excuses such as they're "working on educating the senior leadership team". I've had to seek legal counsel more than once while employed here.

63 people found this review helpful

VP, Global HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. While there is always more work to do, we have made strides in building a diverse global sales organization. We pride ourselves in being a safe and inclusive environment so we are saddened to hear about your experience. I'd love to hear your perspective on where we can do better. Feel free to reach out to me at leah@elastic.co.

6. 3.0

Half in Half Out

Sep 14, 2017 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Distributed Company, smart and good people. Work from home and remote options, very good for individuals who have a family. Work life balance is okay, not horrible - there are days when you have to put in some extra time due to timezones (distributed) Ability to contribute ideas and suggestions at so many levels Believe that the company has a heart and care not only about making money but care about what's going on in the universe and where they can, they try to make it better. The technology is there to be a major player

Cons

The original leadership team doesn't really move the needle forward, and sometimes act and run organization as if we are doing it out of a garage or on a pub crawl. Old boys and girls club exist, if you were here from the beginning you are part of those clubs No clear and outlined direction or strategy for the organization on how we are going to get there, a lot of numbers, but no strong plan or communication plan to our customers No strategic partnerships with any major players in the industry Bottom up sales strategy, takes a long time to make impact

28 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Challenging & Rewarding. Having fun

Dec 15, 2016 - Sales in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, smart, fun. I can see decisions being made that have the long game in mind. My work is making a difference. Expectations of performance and quality is high...which is fine by me. Some recent internal promotions have been great to see. Leadership cares and wants to hear new ideas and to challenge old thinking.

Cons

A distributed company can be hard to work for. Don't get me wrong, the cultural diversity is a fantastic benefit but, time zone differences, a 24x7 business, emails or Slack instead of calls or hallway conversations add another level of time / work.

24 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Working at Elastic is fun, challenging, and stress-free

Dec 14, 2016 - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Smart, friendly, caring (for each other and for their work) coworkers * Emphasis on teamwork * Full transparency from top to bottom * Pragmatic, down-to-earth principles * The founders and executive team are accessible, vocal, and back up their words with actions This might sound like Kool-Aid to you... but it isn't. This isn't a cult-like company where you buy into it and become a true believer. You're an individual with your own life and interests -- and working at Elastic is a two-way street. We're all fully-formed adults and Elastic is a sum of all of our contributions.

Cons

Hard to come up with any! * I remember management had to let some people go once... but they were given the chance to write a goodbye email to their coworkers and it was as amicable and mutually-respectful a parting as I've ever seen. Afterwards, the responsible individuals explained their criteria for making these kinds of difficult decisions and opened themselves up to questions about the process. * Since we're a fully distributed company, it may take some getting used to if you haven't worked in a similar situation before, but everyone is here to support new hires and help them become successful. * Some products have significant technical debt (which is apparent from checking them out on GitHub), but we're all aware of it and are working hard to reduce it.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Genuinely Different in Great Ways

Jul 19, 2016 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The flexibility at Elastic - remote working, self-initiated projects, and so on - speaks to the amount of trust the company and employees share with one another. It takes a certain mindset to thrive in that environment, but it's truly different and liberating to be able to do so. The quality of employees here is evident when you realize that despite language, cultural, and experience differences (it's a globally distributed company, after al), almost every interaction is courteous and friendly across any level of seniority. One telling aspect about Elastic is that problems that do come up - no company is perfect - are actually handled well and openly, not allowed to linger.

Cons

The aforementioned freedom requires a degree of effort to initiate communication when it becomes to reporting on status, progress, help, and so on. I initially disregarded this, but it _does_ take work (but the effort is worth the autonomy). Growing pains do show up here and there as teams adapt and the company grows, which can take adjusting, but aren't too bad.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great People, Great Company

Nov 24, 2015 - Product Management in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Elastic for well over a year. During that time, I've seen the company experience rapid growth, thanks to a wonderful open source community, and excellent leadership, both technically and for the business. As a highly distributed company, I was worried that there would be communications challenges and inefficiencies. Instead, I found an open culture which really values sharing information, and encourages employees to bring their experience and think - about the products, the business, etc. This company has done a great job of maintaining this culture during a time of high growth, which is difficult to do. I've been impressed with the company leadership, but also with the teams in every discipline. People genuinely care about their work, their co-workers, our users, and the business. It makes such a big difference to work in an environment like that, and I've never enjoyed a job more. The products are proven and solve a wide range of real problems. I'm hopeful and optimistic that this will be one of the most successful open source companies in history, and it's exciting to be a part of it!

Cons

It is a fast moving company, and this isn't for everyone. For me, there are very few cons.

2 people found this review helpful