Electronic Arts Software Engineer III Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 30 May 2019

4.7
Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

"Penny Wise Pound Foolish"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Hyderābād

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance, Annual Christmas vacation, Gaming areas in office Fun at work. Freedom of expressing ideas

Cons

Company has strange policies on expenses. They will save printer toner while millions of euros will be squandered in purchasing wrong software, wrong contracts. Then again a new software/service contract will be bought. This cycle goes on every few years. Even on projects they will ask to avoid travel for meetings. And if you travel, pay from your own pocket and then get reimbursed. HR Policies in India are... somewhere between terrible and pathetic. They are unable to provide even basic medical cover. Recently there has been huge attrition i middle management, Thankfully.

Advice to Management

See where your millions of dollars are being spent. Put a tab on it or at least see what returns all this spending has brought to us. Keep a close watch on the contract partners. They are billing us more than they are working. If they are billing for 8 people, make sure 8 people are working for us.

Electronic Arts2014-08-07

"Software Engineer III"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, good compensations

Cons

Too much enterprise-level, Not much challenging

Electronic Arts2019-05-30

"Careful"

Software Engineer III in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Electronic Arts

Pros

Near where I live, bonus at the end of the year, possible to work from home. Games can be cheap to buy.

Cons

If the management (who take 0 risks most of the time from fear), end up late on a software deliverable, they will seek out the weakest link in the development team and very aggressively apportion all blame. I've worked there twice, and I've been in meetings where "who is taking this one" has been discussed. You would not believe how this place works inside. It's full of cowards, be prepared to high five all the... right people and you will get on fine. Speak up against bad decisions, or bad planning and you will be out the next time they need a scapegoat.

Advice to Management

You are not needed, why there are so many of you is a real mystery. You take little risk, do no work, and make people in fear of their jobs. Basically, you are hated at EA by the devs.

Electronic Arts2017-05-03

"I have seen the transition"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked as a software engineer for more than 8 years. I have experienced the culture transition first hand. Work is meaningful (maybe because I got to work on the game I'd been playing growing up) and nothing beats the feeling of shipping a world class AAA title. The new EA is great for Work-life balance. Crunch happens but most of us wanted to be there to make sure the product we made could be the best it... could be before reaching the hands of consumer. Everyone gets additional time off after project ships as a compensation for the extra time spent.

Cons

Career oppurtunity is limited. Managers are 95% non technical. I see this as the biggest issue for managing engineering teams. Really should look at what the new tech company is doing and have engineers report to engineers and project management should be separate. Work environment may be political compare to the tech companies in the silicone valley bubble.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Make changes to treat engineers better. I maybe a bit biased, since I'm an engineer myself.

Electronic Arts2016-02-27

"Engineer's take on a big but fun company"

Software Engineer III in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

Fun place to enter on a daily basis. Full of artists, nerds and business types. SOmethign for everyone. Lots of smart folks too.

Cons

Very high stress enviornment. It can have quite a lot of overtime during crunch time. Being a large company there is also a lot of bureaucracy.

Electronic Arts2015-09-28

"Software Engineer 3"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Good benefits - employee stock purchase plan, discounts at company store, IRC (a place where you can check out games or movies for free for a week, which really helps you keep up to date on games and research games that you wouldn't normally buy) * Organized process - production staff is good at running teams efficiently and communicating across teams, as well as maintaining task schedules and making sure... deadlines are transparent and well communicated to the team * Strong mentorship culture - I always felt like I had a clear go-to senior engineer for mentorship, and the mentor was spent enough time to help me grow in the technical skills that would allow me to proceed in my career path

Cons

* Top-down management: I often felt that game designs were handed down to me to be implemented to a spec, as opposed to feeling like I could be part of a creative process. Attempts to improve upon the spec were not impossible to get designers and production to buy into, but I never felt rewarded for doing so. It was generally more rewarded to deliver work on schedule than to actually deliver fun gameplay. *... Professionalism - depending on what team you are on, you may run into team members that act kind of frat boy-ish. On the Sims team, there was a shipping tradition that the team called "Forties to Final" where team members drank way too much alcohol to celebrate shipping a finished expansion pack. It used to be conducted during work hours and in the same offices where you worked, which was a little uncomfortable if you didn't want to participate. I think this kind of culture may be just on the Sims, and if you are on a different team the experience may vary. * Poor work life balance - When the game is close to shipping, you should expect to live at work for several months to a year. My team had a policy that when we were close to ship, you had to be at zero bugs everyday before you went home. But sometimes bugs came in late in the day that could take up to a whole day to fix. That basically meant you couldn't go home that night. I have no idea how that policy was fair.

Advice to Management

EA's methods are pretty efficient at games on time and on budget that are just high enough quality to sell and make money, so I feel like from a business perspective EA is actually pretty strong. And you will be treated with respect relative to other game companies that exist in the industry. But I do think EA's talent good produce better games if the culture rewarded building fun gameplay in addition to hitting... deadlines.

Electronic Arts2015-08-22
  7. "Great place o grow"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent place to work Amazing technologies Full of smart and passionated people The new CEO is fantastic

Cons

Not enough collaboration between different departments Some work from a department to another is replicated

Electronic Arts2015-07-22

"A wasteland for creatives, but decent benefits"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Orlando, FL

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

Many many hardworking and smart people in every studio, also decent benefits. Much better than it was in 2004. No real opportunities for creative fulfillment.

Cons

They tend to not be too careful about hiring, and culture can be a real problem. You will definitely feel like a small part of something large.

Advice to Management

Invest in some smaller projects and rotate people onto them, allowing people to wear many hats that they wouldn't normally. Plus you might find The Next Big Thing by starting small.

Electronic Arts2015-07-16
  9. "Ok place to start"

Software Engineer III in Orlando, FL

I worked at Electronic Arts

Pros

Benefits are good, people are smart

Cons

Salaries are horrible No to little growth Same products are being worked on for decades, so no innovation Pipelines and tech were very old, and cumbersome to work with Every tech is proprietary so you won't build much experience in what the rest of the industry uses

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees more Think outside the box

Electronic Arts2015-06-02

"Software Engineer III"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good environment, nice benefits, game industry.

Cons

Lots of crunch time. Not so great pay.

Advice to Management

Lead programmers need more time to program. That requires more Development Directors.

Electronic Arts2015-04-10