Elevate K-12 Employee Reviews about "elevate"

Updated 28 Feb 2020

Found 8 of over 198 reviews

4.2
Elevate K-12 Founder - CEO Shaily Baranwal
Shaily Baranwal
Pros
  • "Thank you for the opportunity to work from home during COVID and still do what I love(in 41 reviews)

• "I like the sense of community at Elevate K-12(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Being a member of Elevate requires constant adaptability(in 8 reviews)

• "Lack of communication is a big issue, support is erratic, great place if you are young, but older with experience go somewhere else(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "elevate"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Flexible And Consistent

6 Feb 2020 - Online Tutor in Clearlake Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Elevate offers lots of flexibility in regards to scheduling, allowing instructors to work anywhere from a few hours per week to almost full time depending on preference and availability of programs, all from the comfort of our own homes. But unlike some other online tutoring experiences, Elevate also provides consistent opportunities to work with students, ensuring instructors often have their hands about as full as we would like. Additionally, being able to work with an Academic Coach to provide feedback and other assistance is crucial in ensuring that we are making the most of the time we have with our students.

Cons

Elevate is unfortunately unable to provide schools with equipment, leading to some occasions where the school's equipment may not work well with the virtual classroom. Fortunately, this is usually a minor issue.

10 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good mission, ok company.

28 Feb 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most people there are passionate about the mission. I enjoyed my co-workers The product is good The starting pay is very competitive They do have a good work/life balance, and are understanding about flexible working options. It is an open door policy, and they encourage you to actually just go into a VPs office to bring up any issues.

Cons

This is a complete open plan office. There are a few quiet rooms you can use, but expect to hear everyone's conversations. As I mentioned above, the product is good, but its not great. However, management seems to believe its the best thing since sliced bread. They act like people NEED this product. They don't. It is a nice to have, not a necessity. People have gotten by for years without it, and can do so. The biggest issue is the CEO. She is extremely overbearing and doesn't really trust people to do their jobs. She gets way too involved in the day to day, instead of focusing on big picture. Frankly, she is also pretty insulting to people below her at times as well, and talks down to just about everyone. She is passionate, but that passion can easily turn nasty. Last year they went on a big hiring spree and touted how much they were growing, but apparently no one was paying attention to the combination of new salaries and other expenditures, like office upgrades and other new developments. So, right before Christmas, they laid off a bunch of employees, some of whom left perfectly stable jobs to come to Elevate and were there less than 6 months. Of course, the people making those bad decisions didn't suffer.

19 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Misleading Company: Beware!

27 Dec 2019 - Spanish Teacher in Bushnell, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro I can think of, is they are online.

Cons

So after their long interview process I got the congratulations letter and was told to fill out a contract. I thought it was a little fishy that the contract said that I agree to the terms of Edblox Inc. (No idea who that is). Nowhere on the contract did it say Elevate, but I signed anyway. After doing all this I waited and waited for someone to contact me. I finally got an email from some random person about 2 months later asking me to start in 2 days! Being a mother and having this as a second job, I of course could not commit that quickly. I politely explained that the time works, but I could not start until a week later and I still haven't received the headset that they were supposed to send me. I never got a response back. How unprofessional! I do not recommend this company!

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible Leadership and Teamwork

15 May 2018 - Region Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

At Elevate K-12, amazing leadership and teamwork has created a culture that inspires. It's a place where everyone is respected for their contribution and ethics lead the way. Collaboration between colleagues is the norm, and a desire to constantly learn and grow is behind every action. I'm grateful to be a part of the Elevate K-12 family.

Cons

Being a member of Elevate requires constant adaptability. Things move at break-neck speeds, work hours are long which might not be for everyone.

9 people found this review helpful

Elevate K-12 Response

Elevate K-12 Team

Thanks, we are so glad that you like it here!

5. 1.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Not What it Seemed

26 Mar 2014 - Online Tutor in Binghamton, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work the business is doing seems like a good thing, at least in theory. The interview was very fair and completely related to the job at hand. Personnel was completely understanding about not being able to cover assigned shifts if alerted ahead of time.

Cons

The hiring agreement claims flexibility which is totally misleading. Basically they will have you work something like 10 am Monday and Wednesday this week, Tuesday and Thursday next week. So essentially you have to be available at that time every day of the week. As a student this had been the main reason I signed on as a "freelance tutor" for elevate, but this made it impossible to work with a class schedule. After a month of this I ended up never actually getting a chance to tutor. Short of the training session and hardware test, I never again used the materials I had to buy solely for this job opportunity.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Current Employee of Elevate K12

7 Apr 2015 - Elevate Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are able to continue to tutor students while working from the convenience of your home. They are great about getting back to you quickly and super nice to work with.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about Elevate.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Innovative and Forward Thinking

25 May 2017 - APM in Spokane, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The online education environment is rapidly expanding and Elevate does not look just to exploit the status quo; they look to how they can use their creativity and innovation to build the best learning environment with current technology so they will have opportunities for the future. Which is why I have chosen to associate my skills and abilities with them for the past 2-1/2 years. They regularly reach out to the entire team at Elevate to self-assess how to improve, and more importantly, they listen and implement the best suggestions. When there are administrative glitches, as there will be with any organization, there are layers of accessible individuals who act quickly and with professionalism and courtesy. The work environment is very independent, so it takes an individual who is a self-starter to assess and creatively coordinate the best learning experience, which I find challenging and rewarding. Living on the west coast, most of the sessions are finished late morning to early afternoon, which allows me to have the rest of the day to do other things. Pay has always been consistent.

Cons

Communication is probably the area that needs to be improved most. Communication with students/tutors is a priority when it comes to the classroom; however, communicating pertinent information helpful for planning our individual schedules is not easily obtained. Communication is also an absolute necessity to building a team in an online environment, and there is a minimal amount occurring, which sets the model for everyone down the line. This leaves empty gaps with no interaction occurring between Elevate and online staff, and that translates into lack of direction, a lack of goals for individual involvement, a lack of cohesion as a team, and opportunities for misunderstandings and/or a sense of devaluing one's service, which may not necessarily be the case but without communication there is a blank wall upon which to ponder, where there should be encouragement and a structure for growth with the organization. While organization skills are not a con, these skills can be stretched to breaking point at times to meet some of the requirements and being remunerated for one's time. Quality of the technology can also be an interference in the learning process.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Schools Beware!

2 Apr 2015 - Academic Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had the chance to work with kids in schools and I met some wonderful people who also worked for the company. I gained experience hiring individuals.

Cons

I was working with hiring people to oversee the program in schools and I was told by upper management that I couldn't give anyone positive feedback. Upper management believed fear and intimidation was the way to make employees work hard for you and I disagree with this philosophy. The company is VERY shady. The owner is foreign and says that she is the only foreign person working in the company, but that is not the case. A lot of her team is based in another country and she has even had someone from that country fill in and tutor. This is not acceptable because she tells schools that all tutors are certified teachers (this isn't the case) and the language barrier made it difficult for the child to gain anything of value from his tutoring sessions. The owner promises 1 tutor for every 3 students at most, but doesn't deliver. I can remember several times working in schools when we were told to hide how many students were in a classroom so the school couldn't see that there were 5 or more students in a session with one tutor. This affected learning and obviously for moral reasons I couldn't stay with this company. Payments were NOT received on time. Tutors, Proctors, and myself would often have to wait weeks and even another month for our payments. This caused stress for everyone because we are all dependent on that money. Even when you are working everyday for this company you aren't promised stability with payments. W-2's were also not released to employees for 2013 until end of March and for 2014 until March as well. In some cases they were even withheld and held over an employee's head. Employees are asked to work hard and be patient, but upper management doesn't deliver on their end. Employees are also taken on and off salary as it benefits the company. The owner is also verbally abusive and made myself and other employees physically ill because of it. We were working 16 or more hour days and we were not appreciated at all. Like the other reviews state this company is VERY unorganized. Because of this lack of organization we were frantically trying to hire tutors, proctors (people to work in the schools), perform IT setups, and implement the program in a time frame that was unrealistic. When things didn't go smoothly because of this lack of organization myself and other employees were treated horribly by upper management. Because she believes fear and intimidation work as the best motivator. If you are thinking of working with Elevate k12 I strongly suggest you do not. I worked very closely with upper management and I know exactly how this company is run. As a current, licensed, and certified teacher I believe there are better ways for schools to spend their money and companies similar to this one that do a better job.

4 people found this review helpful