Ellucian Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 27 Jul 2020

3.9
Ellucian Vice President and Country Head, India Rishi Nayar
Rishi Nayar

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Project Manager quite possibly the worst job in the entire company"

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Ellucian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay among the highest of project management professionals; remote work environment,

Cons

pressure to rack up billable hours; fully accountable for an unmanageable amount of projects; continued lip service about work life balance;

Continue reading

"Best employer I have worked for."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been employed by Ellucian for 20 years in three different organizations, so I have a broad perspective. Over the years I have experienced many of the pros and cons other reviewers have mentioned. To be fair, I have worked at several other companies, large and small, and Ellucian is still the best employer I have worked for. The benefits and pay are at least comparable to, if not better than, other companies. The people are the best! Just about everyone is willing to help a co-worker with questions. And there are many communication tools to help you make people connections and feel connected with management. I have worked for good managers as well as bad ones, but the good managers far outnumber the bad. It is very refreshing and encouraging that there is a very high percentage of women in leadership positions. The culture is a work in progress and I think it is improving. For the most part, employees care about each other. When I first began working for the company (then, Systems and Computer Technology), it was heavily male-dominated, and there were many silos. But it has evolved in a positive manner and the silos are being leveled. There are plenty of opportunities for career path changes, professional growth and promotions. Most managers are supportive of their employees’ personal and professional goals and will work with you to find the best fit for your skill set and career goals. I have had many opportunities for training. Much of it has been self-directed, and that takes motivation and drive, but it is available. I have also had many shadow opportunities to learn from more experienced co-workers. And sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet and work on something new – there are plenty of folks who will help if you get stuck. But communication with your manager is essential if you are not getting what you need to be successful. I have worked for eight different managers and only one was difficult to communicate with. Work-life balance is largely a personal challenge. Ellucian management is very supportive and encouraging for employees to have a good balance. While there have been a lot of changes and many RIF’s, it is no different at Ellucian than at any of my previous employers. Companies change; that is no surprise. If you take responsibility for your own career path, development and happiness, Ellucian is a great place to work.

Cons

Sometimes the workload is heavy, but it is not constant. There is not a consistent experience across organizations. I have found that the Technology Management/Managed Services organization seems to be somewhat disconnected from the rest of the company because those employees are located at a customer site, and it is difficult to feel connected to the company when university management is front and center.

Continue reading

3. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pace of Innovation; Solely Focused on Higher Education; Supports a health work/life balance for employees; Supports employees gaining new skillsets and exploring new positions within the company.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons at the moment.

Continue reading

"Great culture and enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture with terrific people who support and seem to genuinely care about each another. I have not worked at a company where people are so willing to help each other. The mission of supporting higher education is personally gratifying and people have conviction in the good of what customers are doing which helps breed this culture. The company does a good job of supporting employees and creating an environment that is welcoming, supportive and collaborative. People work hard, but work-life balance and flexibility is also valued which can be rare in technology companies.

Cons

The industry (higher education) as a whole can tend to be late adopters, so the technology is not always on the cutting edge, although it is impactful. Because the industry is changing, Ellucian is having to adapt too, which sometimes leads to turnover of good people who have been at the company for a while. But it’s the right thing to do and management is doing well in managing through changes.

"Too much work"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Remote, OR

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexibility to work remotely, decent benefits

Cons

Too much work where everything needs to be figured out by the individual. No training on internal products makes it even more difficult. Help is hard to find as managers are over whelmed with work load similarly. No work life balance.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate Translator in Cholula, Puebla

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Benefits are a big pro, not only do you get a competitive salary but all the extras that a company that cares about their people should have (dental, medical, parental leave). The working schedule is very flexible and allows for a good work-life balance. It depends on who you work with and for, but in general, teams are well-balanced, and interested in shared growth, always trying to help anyone who needs it. Management and Leadership are actively involved in both team and individual progress and are always there for support and guidance. The company encourages you to build and develop a career, as it offers trainings and other education opportunities that help improve your skills.

Cons

Remote work is common to all employees, which is of great help when our personal life requires it, but it can create some communication problems, even though we have plenty of tools to help us work from home, sometimes it is just better to do things in person.

7. "Recommended"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Ciudad de México

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is good, the work-life balance is acceptable. In addition the benifits are very good and there is a lot flexibility (work remotly when needed). Most of my collegue are very supportive and helpful.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons to working here from my side but there are a lot of management changes which sometimes are not good (mostly in other locations). Leadership seems to be good but sometimes there is a lack of communication and planning.

"Continuously Improving!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ellucian is committed to improving not only their solutions but also work/life balance for employees. Recent changes in leadership are indicative of this push. The intent and purpose is clear and the culture is shifting to align, which is encouraging!

Cons

Change is hard. There is always a bit of disruption with change. While progress IS being made in the items mentioned in the "pros" section, it is sometimes slow, but at least it has been steady!

Continue reading

"Awesome Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Developer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open culture and atmosphere and friendly people. The work is meaningful and beneficial to millions of students. Strong work/life balance. People are encouraged to take time for personal growth and development.

Cons

Corporate culture is obvious. A lot of legacy work and cogs which make progress a lot slower. The compensation isn't the greatest considering industry standards but it is still livable.

"No work life balance, no respect, horrible employer"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Ellucian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, some colleagues, home working

Cons

No work life balance as it is a global company that expects you to work when they need, not when you are contracted, so 70-80 hour weeks instead of the 37.5 on the contract. Added to this they don’t have enough staff so the need is constant. I get over 100 emails a day whilst also on back-to-back meetings for 8 hours. The execs rarely listen or treat you with respect. R&D for Banner is particularly bad. PS works on the American model so you do 70 hour weeks normally. CS don’t get listened to, customers don’t get listened to. They talk the talk of wanting to be a good company to work for, but a few execs spoil it for the rest.

Found 58 reviews