"Good place to work"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion

I have been working at Ambition Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible and agile working Mission focused colleagues Excellent, evidence informed design of programmes - real focus on delivering impact and excellence

Cons

Typical charity in that there is regular change in the ways of working, restructuring of teams and efforts to make efficiencies in programme spend.

Other Employee Reviews

"A turd rolled in glitter"

1.0
    Current Employee - Associate in Nowhere, OK

I have been working at Ambition Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Associates are super friendly These are the glitter in the turd. Largely banded together by being under-employed and underpaid and wondering whether they read the job spec correctly when they applied. You'll recognise these guys because they're the only ones in the office who are smiling, but will wax lyrical about the issues above if asked in private. Flexible working hours and agile working Probably the best thing about the job Some managers are really nice It's luck of the draw, but some are brilliant Easy work and a good work life balance Being an associate isn't rocket science and if you work hard and smartly (and if you're lucky enough to be in a department where you have more autonomy), you can have a decent work-life balance.

Cons

You don't make a difference The teachers do. You'll spend your day ordering dominos pizza, printing name labels and having an existential crisis. Internal selections are a joke A competency framework which is designed to get the best person for the job is gospel. It means people with far more experience lose out to those who memorise the framework because they aren't jumping through hoops. Don't believe me? Look at the CVs of those in some AD positions and management positions and find enough experience to justify the taxpayer-paid salary. Oxbridge and lack of experience in the type of schools we work with Going to Oxford or Cambridge will guarantee you at least a management position. A huge proportion of senior staff went there. Going to Oxbridge shouldn't disqualify you from rising to the top of an organisation, but there is an air of elitism about the place. Very little internal social mobility. Lack of experience, particularly at management level Compare the job requirements here with similar positions Teach First. Where more senior positions are concerned, it's down to the competency framework meaning people who memorise it get promoted. Having so many people who haven't set foot in a classroom since they were a child working for an education charity is embarrassing. Some Area Directors have no experience in the fields which they are leading. Incompetent HR Procedures are broken left, right and centre. I've lost count of how many people have been put on the wrong tax code. We have a huge HR department for an organisation our size. Pay is trash for associates So you know this when you apply, but you're also told about how quickly you'll rise up internally. Recently a welcome pay rise was given, but the better paid you already were, the greater % increase you got. The average pay in the UK is £27,000 and there are people with masters degrees on £20,000 at Ambition with no internal progression. Management is oblivious Cake, [well meaning] wellbeing champions, discussion groups that produce nothing and working groups which have no impact are no match for low pay, lack of internal progression and no autonomy You cannot progress on the high quality of your work alone. No, I don't really want to be part of several working groups which will take hours out of my week where I (as a lowly associate) will be ignored just so I can secure a more position I'm qualified to get. I'm on £20,000 a year with low morale. One rule for management People are made ADs with no assessment centre and expenses (particularly train tickets) are frequently misspent. Ambition spends an obscene amount on travel, and some senior staff are reluctant to travel on off-peak times.

Continue reading

Ambition Institute Response

April 6, 2018HR Recruitment Lead

Thank you for taking the time to review Ambition School Leadership. Feedback is really important to us as we grow as an organisation. It is great to hear you feel you benefit from our flexible and agile working, friendly colleagues and maintain a good work life balance. We will work to ensure these continue to be beneficial to our staff. We want everybody that works at Ambition to understand the critical difference they make to our mission, so I would be keen to hear more about your comments, so we can support you in finding fulfilment in your work. We are committed to transparency in our selection processes and diversity in all aspects of working life here at Ambition. There is ongoing work in these areas, including forthcoming Recruitment Toolkit and brand new Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy, which I’d be very happy to talk to you about further. If you would like to discuss your feedback further, please do get in touch with me directly on tom.ebbutt@ambitionschoolleadership.org.uk and I look forward to hearing from you. Tom Ebbutt (People & Ventures Executive Director)

2. "Very nice people and organisation"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Junior Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Ambition Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance, very helpful people, 11% pension contribution from employer

Cons

Depending on the position salaries can be quite low, but it is a charity after all.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Ambition Institute.