Happy

Current Employee - Human Resource Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
Current Employee - Human Resource Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Applebee's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were alot of very Nice people and the pay matched the amount that you have worked. Co workers made job more fun

Cons

it was pretty stresful and there was alot of work to do. theres nothing i can really do but it doesnt mean much to them if you make it or not

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Mass Exodus of Managers in Atlanta

Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Applebee's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly good staff, but a few bad 'apples'. Ummmm?

Cons

Upper Level Mgmt has no idea what they are doing. Ignoring repairs, ignoring company policy, cutting the throats of GM's - watch them leave in mass. Policy of having a 'write-up' on every employee so you can fire them at will is simply Bad Policy. Working Mgrs 80+ hours for a bonus that is ever changing and unattainable is bad policy. Paying GMs 0 dollars more than an Asst Mgr is ridiculous. Every single restaurant job I had was better than being a GM in this Franchise!

Advice to Management

When you buy a batch of stores from the original founder of the company - clean house at the upper level. You guys (and I mean the ones that actually should be fired) are squeezing out GMs as if it was them. Once all the GMs are gone.....then who will they blame?

2. Consistently inconsistent

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at Applebee's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for both corporate owned and franchised locations and to be completely honest, the franchise store were much better run that the company stores. I worked with some great General Managers and I've worked with some people who let a tiny bit of power go straight to their head. It really depends on the store.

Cons

Quality of life is low. Poorly written manager schedules leave you frequently sleep deprived. I would work a close mid open at least once a week in spite of the company guidelines given during orientation stating this is to happen only in extermis. 60+ hour weeks are common. Stores run for months with 2 managers. Bonus is based on sales over last year but consideration is not given for mitigating circumstances. Deferred maintenance seems to be the norm. I worked at one store that flooded in the kitchen every Sunday for a year before we were allowed to have more than Roto-rooter look at it. Unsafe and sometimes unsanitary conditions are allowed to go on because they are too expensive to fix. Managers are expected to do landscaping and repairs in their "spare time".

Advice to Management

I realize you are a great big company but maybe look into having someone local to maintain the stores in each region. Listen to your managers. Let them do their jobs. Don't expect them to do construction/maintenance work.