1. "The best place to start your career, period."

Case Team Leader in Munich, Bavaria

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Incredible team (consulting and support staff) Challenging work (analytical, creative, social, diverse) Great culture (supportive, flexible, employee centered)

Cons

Long hours, extensive travel, slightly longer promotion cycles than competition

1. "Ability to build your own journey/ incredible support to grow and learn"

Current Employee - Partner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was able to truly define my own journey during my time at Bain. There is a clear career trajectory in place for consultants, but there is so much flexibility to define your own journey and figure out what you need at different points in time in your life. Incredible mentorship and support at Bain that is unparalleled. I can have such honest and authentic conversations about tough decisions Enjoy going to work each and every day. I love the people I work with and the energy they bring to the job.

Cons

Client services can be tough and demanding; however, we are very proactive about empowering people to make decisions that drive balance.

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Continue reading

Bain & Company Response

September 27, 2016Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Discover more reviews about Bain & Company.