"Good company with good intentions- but systemic issues"

2.0
    Current Employee - Case Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities for the intellectually curious! Really great people to work with and depending on the office a great work environment. Lots of exit opportunities

Cons

Recruiting, hiring, staffing, ratings and promotions are all very subjective and ripe with unconscious bias and other systemic issues-- leading to a very white male partner team. They're working on it but slowly and quite frankly clearly aren't invested from a race and socioeconomic standpoint.

Continue reading

Bain & Company Response

May 29, 2019Director, Global Diversity & Inclusion

Thank you for writing a review. I’m glad to know you are experiencing a positive work environment and supportive colleagues. Diversity & inclusion continues to be a high priority for our firm, and we are deeply invested in addressing this in a number of ways, including identifying and mitigating bias in our key processes (recruiting, performance assessment, and promotions), embedding inclusive behaviors and norms at the firm, office and team level (including open dialogues around race), and investing specifically in closing our gap in under-represented populations (including via our formal affinity groups). Our firm leadership feels highly accountable for increasing the diversity of our team, particularly among our senior roles. Please feel free to reach out to me or to your local diversity champion to learn more.

1. "Great training and people"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Great first job out of college. People invest in you and tries to set you up well for whatever is next.

Cons

Work life balance is lacking

"Welcome to Bain"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Continue reading

Bain & Company Response

September 27, 2016Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Discover more reviews about Bain & Company.