1. "lots of great culture"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

-the people you get to work with are amazing -lots of flexible work options, they made an effort to adhere to our preferences

Cons

- travel can be difficult to get used to, unless you are looking for that

1. "Exceptional culture, but burnout is real"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've never worked at a place that has a better culture, and brings together people of diverse backgrounds who are nearly all smart, driven, thoughtful, and a pleasure to work with. I've met many folks who will be lifelong friends through Bain.

Cons

Work-life balance in a top tier management consulting environment is at best a pipe dream. Some people are able to make it work, but a lot of it is a roll of the staffing die, and how happy you can be working 60+ hours per week in a high pressure environment. It's a shame because I always loved the work itself and the people, but it just wasn't what I wanted my life and stress level to be every day. They do a lot to make it more tolerable, but at the end of the day it's really the nature of the work.

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Continue reading

Bain & Company Response

September 27, 2016Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Discover more reviews about Bain & Company.