"The best!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotPads full-time for more than a year

Pros

i have been with HotPads for close to a year and so far it's been a great experience. Right from the interview setups, the hiring process and everything else since then has been awesome. Zillow Group and HotPads seem like a place that values their employees. As others have said, this is like working in a start-up with the backing of a big company (ZG), so you get the best of both worlds. Everyone here is very friendly and ready and willing to help. The founders and early employees are still here and code on a regular basis. Just shows their passion and commitment to the product they have built over the last 11+ years. A lot of challenging problems to solve here, and you keep learning new things on a regular basis Your good work is appreciated and rewarded Team is growing a lot, so there are/will be opportunities for growth as well A good work/life balance. Work hard during the day but no need to work late hours/deadlines etc.

Cons

I can't think of anything thats really bad here. Commute might be an issue for those living in south bay/east bay but when you work at such a cool place, you look forward to coming in to work every day.

HotPads2017-07-20

July 22, 2017co-founder and gm, HotPads

Thank you for your review! I agree with everything you said, but something you said in the "cons" section really resonates with me, "you look forward to coming in to work every day". I look forward to coming into work every day too. We have such a great team that works hard and has fun doing it... and we are pretty darn successful. Thanks for being a part of the team and sharing your feedback! Thank you! - douglas pope

Other Employee Reviews

"The benefits of a scrappy startup, but backed by a billion dollar corporation"

Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HotPads for more than 5 years

Pros

HotPads is in a unique position in that it still operates much like an early startup, devoid of the bureaucracy and slow thinking of a larger company, but never has to compromise product or engineering decisions on account of being part of Zillow. All of the original brain trust is still around and coding eleven years later, which is an incredibility rarity in the tech world. The rental world is HotPad's oyster, and it is positioned to seize that very opportunity.

Cons

While it is part of Zillow, and happens to be the quickest growing division in the entire company, it still suffers a bit of the step child symptoms that come with being an acquisition and less financially vital aspect of the larger beast. That said, the booming traffic growth has made a palpable difference and I have no doubt HotPads will soon be at the tip of everyone's tongue in Zillow.

HotPads2016-08-05

August 8, 2016co-founder and gm, HotPads

Thank you for the review! While I love the fact that we have been able to retain our original "brain trust" as you put it, what makes me excited about HotPads is that we have been able to add so many new leaders over the last few years. HotPads would not be doing anywhere close to as good as we are if we hadn't, and it is one of the many reasons I am excited to come into work in the morning. Having relatively new teammates that are bringing new ideas to the table and are equally enthused about building and growing HotPads is why I am confident that HotPads will continue to grow quickly and be successful. Thank you! -douglas pope

"It feels like one big, happy (but quirky) family"

Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotPads

Pros

I've been at HotPads less than a year so far, but it's one of my favorite places that I've ever worked. Sure, it's part of a much bigger company (Zillow!) but for the most part, we get to operate as a separate entity within ZIllow. You have the support, benefits, and salary that are backed by a huge company, but still work with a smaller, close knit team that you generally associate with startups. It seems like many of the people who are originally started with the site ages ago are still part of the team and show lots of love and enthusiasm for their baby. It makes the entire team (back end, front end, operations) feel like one big happy, quirky family. For me, that's one of the biggest things -- the team fosters such a positive and enjoyable culture (and the culture at Zillow in general is great as well). I wake up every day excited to go into work and face new challenges. I get to work with others solving interesting problems (if you like lots of data, A/B testing new features, working with maps, being surrounded by ridiculously intelligent and outgoing people, this is a place you're going to really enjoy). Other pros: * The team is open and receptive to new ideas * Quarterly hack weeks that let you work with other teams on crazy stuff for Zillow in general. * The company Christmas party in Seattle is ridiculous. * Dog friendly office! * A kegerator -- but none of the bro stereotypes that go with having one. * Benefits thanks to Zillow: 401K matching, gym reimbursement, transit reimbursement (!)

Cons

I don't think I've been here long enough to have many cons. As someone else said, the pathway toward moving upward doesn't seem very clear. It's not the biggest issue, since I really enjoy what I work on and who I work with. Other cons: * Our floor kind of sucks, only because it's split up by all these weirdly shaped conference rooms. * We use HipChat instead of Slack.

HotPads2016-03-17

March 17, 2016co-founder and gm, HotPads

Thanks for your review! It is really nice to hear you describe HotPads as a happy quirky family, particularly since you have been here for less than a year. It is exactly how some of us old-timers see it. Our culture is unique, and we have worked hard to maintain it through the many different transitions we have had over the years. It is why I too wake up every day excited to go to work. As far as the office goes, we completely agree with you that it kinda sucks because the weird shaped conference rooms split teams a part. We have been working with Facilities and Finance to come up with a solution, and we got approval just this week to knock out the conference rooms and re-arrange our desks and pods more sensibly! We are excited about the plan and will be sharing more details shortly. Thanks for your feedback and being a part of the team! -douglas pope

Discover more reviews about HotPads.