Employee Review

Current Employee

Good place to work!

18 Apr 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

IMC provides excellent compensation for good performers, opportunity to travel worldwide and interact with very smart people

Cons

It is super competitive place and you need to be your best all the time

Be the first to find this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Smart company, good people

13 Jun 2014 - Tech in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

What stands out about IMC is the smart people you work with, the quality of the projects, and the learning that you do when you are there. I have met some great people that work here and they stand out compared to other organizations where i have worked. They have great perks -free lunches, etc. and there is always something social going on. It's a cool combination of fun, while maintaining a level of seriousness about the work that gets done.

Cons

If you have any vertigo, the office may not be for you - the 43rd floor of the Sears Tower makes for a great view, but my girlfriend can stomach it.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee

I fully regret spending so much time at IMC

9 Jul 2015 - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company trips and social gatherings. If you make enough money the HR girls will try to date you, that's how you know you've made it.

Cons

IMC is a bit of a black hole. People get sucked in and lose all connection to reality. IMC tries to build a family dynamic with a casual fun work environment. You are surrounded by exceptionally bright people and it becomes a really competitive environment. Most people who begin at IMC are straight out of school, and lack any previous knowledge of working in an office environment or office politics. This makes for some highly inappropriate office relationships, favoritism from managers and generally poor feedback loops. If you are not one of the chosen favorites, you can pretty much guarantee you are not going anywhere in the company. Once you have left, you realize you have no real-world skills from that time to apply to anywhere else outside the trading world. No other trading companies will think you are great for working at IMC, and most investment banks or other financial institutions have never even heard of IMC. It's definitely good money if you can stick it out long enough to support yourself afterwards while you find a new career, but I certainly regret staying there for longer than a few years. After having worked elsewhere for a few years now, I look back on my time there and think how stupid the crap that IMC pulls is. Some companies put the smartest guy in the room in charge, some put the best leader, IMC puts the biggest suck up. If you are in Chicago and looking for trading roles, try Jump, Optiver, DRW, one of those. I think you will be a lot happier in the long run.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about IMC Group.