"I actually quite like this place"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been around the block and I like ILM a lot because it is much more well-oiled in process. You have to learn a bit quick the processes, but this place has been good to me and building up my career. Senior leadership trained me well, and now I feel more than prepared to do anything and capable as an artist. Benefits are really nice and they pay for OT. All the medical, 401K is good, when you first receive vacation it might seem like accrual is slow but you work OT often that it accumulates very fast. Take that as you will! I've been lucky to work with projects that are very flexible with OT, but some producers are not as flexible so it's more luck of the draw. Sometimes it's worrying because Canada is cheaper and I've wondered if San Francisco's office would lose its spot, but now I'm more than confident that San Francisco is here to stay. I feel secure more than ever and assured that if I ever left this company I can do anything.

Cons

I'm a bit concerned with the studios in Vancouver, London, and Singapore. I don't think they get the same standard of training as San Francisco. Sometimes jobs are so bad, they always come back to San Francisco. Training and leadership (maybe incentive for SF members to move to other places?) I think is definitely needed. I got hired at the cusp of Disney buying Lucasfilm. I know this place was ran a little differently before. You can see some Disney decisions bleed. It does feel like projects now revolve around them and approval, and not as many original projects are coming to our studio anymore because Disney vetos it. My bottom line comes down to this. I've never been to a VFX studio that was perfect, that didn't require OT and all that jazz. As sad as it's a bit of an industry standard. Hours reflect other places I've worked. If you don't like it here because of OT, it's more or less the same everywhere.

Continue reading
  1. "Best in class"

5.0
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic

Pros

great environment amazing team and leaders history of cutting edge tech best projects available anywhere

Cons

becoming quite corporate as part of Disney weather can be rough and location is away from the center of the city. Once you are there, you are pretty much there can be quite competitive

2. "Very creative"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Generalist in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

top of the industry quality job

Cons

lack of the concistant work volume

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Industrial Light & Magic.