"Terrible place to work"

1.0

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

If I’m honest the only pros is possibly the discount on food but only whilst on shift

Cons

Unfortunately my time here was awful, management is greedy , rude and no respect what so ever, the pay is minimum wage and if you work on a Friday and Saturday night be prepared to stay behind after you’re meant to finish for free to clean up and this is without any extra pay, when I worked here I had to stay for an extra 40minutes on a Saturday night and when I got paid I didn’t receive any extra money when I questioned this I was told that I didn’t have to stay (I didn’t even get a thank you or even a drink) management and seniors are hypocrites they take short cuts when it comes to standards if you copy them they pull you up on it, there’s no real career progression here unless you get really friendly with management. Turn over is very very high nobody stays for that long some people come for a trial then don’t return. Also you’re on a zero hour contract you’re hours change weekly and they constantly change them, I had a weekend off once then the day before changed the roster and expected me to work it even though I was going away, I just didn’t show up that weekend for work but they didn’t seem to bothered that just shows what type of company there like to work for.

J D Wetherspoon Response

March 22, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thanks for your comments, your experience is not what we would expect as part of our Associate Promise.

"Business Manager"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Great work and co-workers. Challenging, but satisfying way to grow professionally . This job will stretch you! I enjoy the work but wait for the cons.

Cons

Management lack of people skills. Although good business acumen, management treats employees like crap. No coaching skills at all.. many have moved on because of treatment.

"Horrendous"

1.0
    Team Leader in Wakefield, MA

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

Gained friendships. Money off food on shift. You're always busy..

Cons

Zero hours contract so one week I could earn an amazing amount and the next be so broke I can't afford transport to and from work. Taxis as I did a lot of late shifts. Management allow bullying to take place. Management are supposed to back you up if someone is drunk or rude etc.. but in my experience they haven't done this at all. Promised the world promotion wise and they gave someone else the job that was lined up for me. Made me do kitchen training when it wasn't needed or even noted down. Expect to be spoken to like rubbish from customers, staff members and management. Very long shifts if staff decide to not turn up or get drunk the night before (this happens ALOT)

J D Wetherspoon Response

April 18, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your comments, we will pass your all of them on for further discussion and investigation. Just to pick up on your feedback around hours, we do not work with zero hour contracts at all as a company, we agree a minimum guaranteed hours when we employ to minimise the fluctuation in hours.

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.