"Great place to work at, although it has lost the startup excitement and turned into a corporation"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Friendly colleagues and a great environment overall. - Lots of opportunities for learning. - Exciting technical challenges. - You can move between teams and your manager can't stop you if you get an offer. - Company values encourage collaboration and you can grow by helping others. - Some other reviews say that avoiding conflict is the only way to move forward. This is not true. Healthy conflict is actively encouraged. Compromises have to be made, that's what business is. And I say this having been on the bad end of most compromises involving the department I work for. - If you get a good manager (I've had 5 of them), you can be very happy. - James Mathews (current CEO) is very open to feedback and gives a very positive example of what leadership should be. - Good work life balance. - Pay rates are not at the top of the industry, but I haven't stopped looking around and can say that I'm very satisfied with it considering all the other advantages of working here. - Having an office outside of London is an advantage for me.

Cons

- It is becoming quite a big company and this involves some dreadful processes and standards. - As you can see in other reviews, some people think that "meritocracy" means you can be a great engineer and an unpleasant person to work with at the same time. Luckily, the company policy disagrees, but you may still get in a "team" with those self called great engineers. - You need to be very open to change. Even your job position might be subject to change suddenly. If you are too attached to a technology or a piece of work, you might have a bad time. - As an engineer, you might get frustrated because business decisions might contradict what seems to be the best technical path to follow. When this happens, there's no argument that will change it and you should be able to let go. - Management policies are not standardized enough, from what I see. All my experiences (I've had 5 managers so far) have been extremely good, couldn't have asked more from my team leads, but this doesn't seem to be the same for everyone and I've seen some micromanagement to ridiculous extremes. - Lots of company politics playing a part in senior leadership. For a company that claims to avoid finger pointing, there's a lot of it in meetings where problems are discussed. This leads to the next one: - Cross team communication can be really broken. One of the ways your performance is assessed is how much your impact reaches across teams and departments. It can get really frustrating to try to do that and hit a wall of full agendas, team support policies and other steps on the way of a conversation.

Continue reading

Ocado Technology Response

December 23, 2020

Thank you for your brilliant review and your open and detailed feedback - we appreciate it. You've made some great points about management, culture and values. We are a rapidly changing organisation and this has meant showing strategic flexibility to react to new challenges, and asking our employees to adapt to new ways of working. We do pride ourselves on our 'Collaboration' value and always hope that any element of change involves you in the journey and you have input into the decisions that affect you. You make many more interesting points, all of which we will digest and share feedback and learnings to the team - thank you.

1. "Decent growing company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Large company growing fast; lots of free reign to create your own career; ability to travel as you need for the job

Cons

Mind boggling leadership from the UK/ Europe is the largest point of constraint. Many European managers have no clue of American culture or understanding of the lay of the land on projects which it makes it difficult to progress the way that’s needed. Although some of this m can be attributed to the pandemic. Compensation can be lower than other conpanies in the same growth rate.

Continue reading
  2. "It is a nice place to be"

5.0
    Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful people and proactive management

Cons

I think the pay is lower than average tech companies especially because they do not baseline the salary on the London's average

Discover more reviews about Ocado Technology.