Porter & Chester Institute - The definition of 'let them eat cake!' | Glassdoor.co.in
There are newer employer reviews for Porter & Chester Institute

"The definition of 'let them eat cake!'"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time

Pros

My job is constantly a struggle between helping the students who are getting screwed by the school and helping the employer that I absolutely loathe. The students are great, and the opportunity for them is great, which makes the job somewhat worthwhile.

Cons

Higher management has no clue what they're doing, and think that being fiscally prudent means cutting any incentive for staff to care at all about their job. These are the same guys that have been pushing for-profit education at those fantastic schools like Salter, ITT Tech, and Corinthian Colleges, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise they invest as little as possible into staff and education. This place is a sinking ship; stay away. I'm just buying time until I'm finished with school to get a job somewhere that cares about its employees.

Seriously, don't walk-- run. No 401k match, no education reimbursement, you can take classes at PCI for free, but they design your schedule so that there is no way you could ever actually attend. You will never see a raise, and the only time reviews come out is before they do a layoff (like the one they did the week before Christmas, a few years back-- to give you a taste of their care about their employees). Basic accounting/finance principals don't apply to management here-- if enrollment is down 15%, they lay off 20% of staff to cover the losses, and frequently realize later on that they cut too many people and beg former staff to come back part-time so they won't have to dole out benefits. Not only this, in departments with only 2 people, they'll cut that in half, not recognizing that in the same process that means the person left has to pick up 70% more work, without even a pat on the back.

The only people management cares about is admissions, and they'll throw money at them if they threaten to leave, because they are the ones that bring in profits. If you do anything else, you may as well be viewed as a parasite by management that's just draining profits. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work here.

Advice to Management

Literally no one wants to stay employed at the school, and most of us haven't left because we don't want to screw over our colleagues. Bring back the 401k match and offer even a cost of living. Coming to PCI has been the worst career move of my life.

Other Employee Reviews for Porter & Chester Institute

"Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. The staff and faculty work hand in hand to really see the students make the best of their education.

Cons

Benefits and compensation. Every year they tweak the benefits just enough to make you squirm, but not leave. This is the year when I realized I can't afford to stay at this job any longer due to what I am paying out to be healthy.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees and get rid of the sub-par heath benefits and you might keep some talented employees.

"Run away!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Automotive Technology Manager in Tewksbury, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Automotive Technology Manager in Tewksbury, MA (US)

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute (More than 8 years)

Pros

Don't work here you will get an ulcer

Cons

Managment and company could care less about employees unless they kiss their ego
    No raises and benefits are horrible