Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee

The definition of 'let them eat cake!'

Apr 8, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

My job is constantly a struggle between helping the students who are getting screwed by the school and helping the employer that I absolutely loathe. The students are great, and the opportunity for them is great, which makes the job somewhat worthwhile.

Cons

Higher management has no clue what they're doing, and think that being fiscally prudent means cutting any incentive for staff to care at all about their job. These are the same guys that have been pushing for-profit education at those fantastic schools like Salter, ITT Tech, and Corinthian Colleges, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise they invest as little as possible into staff and education. This place is a sinking ship; stay away. I'm just buying time until I'm finished with school to get a job somewhere that cares about its employees. Seriously, don't walk-- run. No 401k match, no education reimbursement, you can take classes at PCI for free, but they design your schedule so that there is no way you could ever actually attend. You will never see a raise, and the only time reviews come out is before they do a layoff (like the one they did the week before Christmas, a few years back-- to give you a taste of their care about their employees). Basic accounting/finance principals don't apply to management here-- if enrollment is down 15%, they lay off 20% of staff to cover the losses, and frequently realize later on that they cut too many people and beg former staff to come back part-time so they won't have to dole out benefits. Not only this, in departments with only 2 people, they'll cut that in half, not recognizing that in the same process that means the person left has to pick up 70% more work, without even a pat on the back. The only people management cares about is admissions, and they'll throw money at them if they threaten to leave, because they are the ones that bring in profits. If you do anything else, you may as well be viewed as a parasite by management that's just draining profits. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work here.

Continue reading
    6 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great School...Fantastic reputation and puts Students first.

Jun 16, 2021 - Corporate Director in Rocky Hill, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Committed and dedicated Administration, Faculty and Staff...Student centered. Solid career programs that help prepare you for the real world. Nice environment...learn alot and have fun.

Cons

No cons with this school.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Like being abused? Then work here!

May 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Instructional staff is wonderful, doing what they can with the limited resources and respect they are given.

Cons

Where do I start? Benefits? They dwindle every year. Employee happiness? They don't care. Raises? No. Not in at least 8 years. Reviews? No. Respect? No. Everything good here was taken away little by little. The CEO and upper management have taken a good school and run it into the ground. Don't even get me started on the issues they have had with their nursing program and problems with the State Board of nursing.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Porter & Chester Institute.