"Successful company with a lot of internal issues to fix"

I worked at Redington Ltd. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Redington has been great company last 5+ years, with a lot of business success, a premium brand and a very good standing in the industry, but things have gone downhill recently and growth has highlighted a number of chronic internal issues which now need fixing. Above rating is forward looking where there are much more challenges. For junior roles, probably still a great place to be: good clients, challenging work and a good environment albeit a little lacking in support and structured development (it’s more or less sink or swim so you need to be a self starter) and some of the stellar career trajectories of times past won’t be available going forward. Positives Great clients, meaningful work, great position in industry Nice office Generally inquisitive and smart people Good environment for learning (if you are a self starter) Fairly flat structure Lots of recent business success

Cons

For more senior roles I think you need to think twice. It is a political environment - you need to spend a lot of time managing your image (with the CEO, the Exco, board, founders and other senior individuals), favourites matter and they shift quickly. There have not been any effective management structures for years so far too much business is done in face to face meetings: leaving management simultaneously somehow both overburdened and ineffective. Time and effort is wasted on excessive internal presentations, updates and business projections. It is rarely clear who exactly has responsibility or ultimate say-so for a lot of things and there are far too many meaningless committees and important-sounding but empty titles for such a small firm. The management team has changed constantly so not surprisingly nobody is on the same page. At the end of the day 3 different people are trying to run the firm, and there have been far too many conflicting signals on what the priorities are, and a lot of flip-flopping from one area of focus to another. Recent turnover and retrenchment will definitely mean that some areas will be running short on resources and experience for a while which will create issues. There is a high proportion of people in their first job which creates a bit of naivety around the place, and there are very few experienced people with decent tenure at the firm, creating a lack of institutional knowledge. There does tend to be too much of a hero/superstar mentality in the culture generally which affect reward and the way work gets done, and underplays the necessary teamwork implicit in what the firm does. Negatives Political (you need to spend a lot of time managing your internal image to progress at more senior levels) Facetime culture (the firm is run on one to one face to face meetings, which can be exhausting, chaotic and inefficient) A lot of recent turnover and retrenchment means a lack of resources and experience where it is needed Dysfunctional relationships between management and board (results in lots of wasted time/conflicting and changing signals of what to focus on/gridlock on new ideas and ventures).

Redington Ltd. Response

January 24, 2019

We really appreciate your feedback - Mitesh Sheth (Redington CEO) has prepared the below response; "Thank you for the feedback. I'm grateful for the time and effort you have put into writing this. Whilst I don’t agree with it all, as some of your comments seem particular to your specific context and personality, you make some really good points and observations. There is some really valuable feedback here that we need to hear. You may be pleased to know that since you left the organisation we have made significant progress against these, for example: • As you have noted, I also felt over the past few years that with a growing number of senior and tenured staff (given such a low rate of turnover), we risked being too comfortable and suffering from group-think. Recent promotions have seen younger leaders, departures and lateral hires into mid and senior levels has not been easy for some of our long serving members of staff, but has refreshed the business. We are continuing to hire diverse talent across the business to ensure we have the right people in the right roles. • I am very proud of our personal, face-to- face and relational culture, but this won’t be for everyone. It takes time to build relationships, and requires self-awareness and emotional intelligence. We are a business that really cares about our people, and is committed to ensuring they have a say in how we run the firm. As we continue to grow the team in Bristol and Beijing, as well as support those remotely working from Holland and Poland, we need to continue to balance our preference for face-to-face communication with multi-location connectivity - this is a work in-progress. • I have sat down with each member of staff to have an open dialogue about what’s on their mind, hear their advice, identify their career aspirations and understand what keeps them at Redington. One of the biggest themes was that our people really value the trust, autonomy, flexibility and early responsibility placed upon them. This environment may not work as well for those who want to be directed. Having said that, we are investing in mentoring, line management and training to support career development across the firm. • We have worked hard over the past couple of years to carefully transition the business from a co-founder led entrepreneurial UK startup to an employee owned, medium sized, global diversified business. This is a notoriously difficult transition and we are all over-the-moon to be on the other side of it. We conducted lots of experiments, tried various structures, so that we could learn fast, adapt and make quick changes. I know this pace of change has been difficult for some. • We are pleased to have clarified decision making authorities and simplified our day-to-day governance structure. One of our co-founders has moved on to a new job (and remains a NED on our Board) and the other co-founder is taking on various other external roles, retaining his role as Chair of the Redington Board. In the meantime, ExCo and I have full authority to run the business within the overall 3-year strategy we have signed off with the Board. This is a great outcome for everyone and it brings real clarity and ownership for senior leaders. It has taken a couple of years to achieve as we wanted to ensure we built a foundation of trust, relationship and experience together. • To your final point one of our analysts has created a ‘self-managed team’ to define, measure and report on our purpose to make 100m people financially secure - watch this space. I agree that our purpose needs to front and centre. I’m genuinely disappointed that we weren’t able to part company on better terms- it’s something we try hard to do. Thank you again for the feedback. I wish you all the best in seeking new opportunities."

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Summer Intern"

5.0
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Oxford, OH

I worked at Redington Ltd. for less than a year

Pros

Very supportive environment for learning, flat structure. Was given very high responsibilities during the internship and all colleagues are very helpful.

Cons

Working hours (8-6), although quite common in the City; lack of a structured training programme (although this can be both good and bad)

Continue reading
  2. "Open and transparent company, meaningful work and great colleagues"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Redington Ltd. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very open and approachable leadership - I've been able to hold regular conversations with the leadership informally and formally and even received feedback on my performance from senior leadership - which companies can boast that flat an employee structure?! Driven and intelligent colleagues to work with - I've worked at another consultancy before working here and found the people at Redington to be much more driven, with a broader range of skills and a experience. Opportunities to get involved everywhere in the business - there are a lot of committees so if you want to do something, all you have to do is put your hand up. The teams are also much smaller so you'll be exposed to a much broader range of experiences and can take up more responsibility with the necessary support available if you need it. You do need to be the type of person that can work independently but if you can do that, there are plenty of opportunities to get stuck in to. Great technology and flexibility within the firm.

Cons

Career progression has slowed down slightly since I joined - that can be a positive as well as it ensures those who are more senior in the business have the necessary experience to be held accountable for their decisions.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Redington Ltd..