"Great strong brand, smart individuals but wrong department"

2.0

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor

Pros

Worked alongside with some of the smartest, most (travel) passionate & hardworking individuals. Company culture is great, TripAdvisor brand is strong & it was sad to leave. Benefits are awesome. I have a lot of respect for my co-workers in other teams.

Cons

My experience is only applicable to Hotel Solutions team. Lack of career development & empowerment. Joined the team with the relevant experience, met my sales targets but my direct superior has no sales nor travel background yet set unrealistic KPIs as a result of senior management. We were not empowered to make decisions & the superiors with their lack of experience were neither mentors nor were they able to make good business decisions. Felt frustrated with the lack of opportunities to grow as an individual, yet people with less experience were given a pay raise & same title after restructuring. Poor middle management: There was a lot of unnecessary politicking going on during my years in the team with the various changes. While things did almost change for the better during my last year, it took a dive when the wrong people were chosen to be the middle management. Felt a lack of communication between senior management to the people on the ground, mostly due to the poor choice of middle management who did not translate the correct message downwards. Middle management were just busy trying to keep their jobs & meet KPIs instead of doing what is good & necessary for the business. Lack of soul & positive culture within the team: the culture of "keep your job by hitting KPI" translates to people who just do what was necessary to survive instead of what is necessary for the business to grow further. The sales floor was a frat party and sellers were just concerned about numbers than the customers. They did what was necessary to survive with unethical sales practices. The sales machine just lack soul and it became toxic to stick around anymore. Lack of synergy between departments: each department work independently from one another though talking to the same customer. One department's decision can affect another but that was not taken into consideration. Unfair system that resulted into poor customer experience.

Continue reading

"Amazing benefits"

5.0
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Incredible benefits - 100% healthcare, very inexpensive to add family, free lunch/snacks, learning opportunities

Cons

Some managers are terrible, lack empathy

2. "Great Culture and People"

4.0
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern

I worked at Tripadvisor

Pros

Extremely talented and passionate people who you'll be working with at the company. Perks such as free lunch every day of the week and an office gym are fantastic too.

Cons

In my opinion, there is a high degree of power distance at the company that management should address.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Tripadvisor.