"System Engineer"

5.0

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

.work life balance . Decent pay

Cons

. Messy management . Lack of transperency

Tripadvisor2018-12-03
  1. "Such a great environment"

5.0
    Former Intern - Operations Analyst

I worked at Tripadvisor for less than a year

Pros

great internship program, nice facilities, kind people

Cons

everyone on the team was separated/worked pretty independently

Tripadvisor2020-05-15

"Great culture and technology, with constant change"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I absolutely loved my time here in the engineering organization. The engineering team is top notch. They have a modern stack with some very talented engineers. Trip follows a lot of industry best practices and really drives engineers to be better. People - at least engineers - are generally empowered to succeed. Most colleagues are very friendly and it is a great environment to learn. The office culture is incredibly friendly and social. Teams are tight knit and strive to operate effectively and efficiently. Expect frequent retrospectives and improvements to the product development cycle.

Cons

Lack of transparency. You may work with managers who hold information back from you or members of the team, or managers who aren't entirely forthcoming. Lack of strong product direction or commitment to products. Some engineers worked on projects for months only to A/B test and be considered failures. The product direction constantly pivots, resulting in teams being frequently rearranged. Micromanagement. If you're an engineer, there's a decent chance your manager will be up in your space. Because Trip is a publicly traded company, the product priorities may shift considerably if the company needs to focus in certain areas. Don't fall in love with your projects too much.

Continue reading
    Tripadvisor2020-05-21

Discover more reviews about Tripadvisor.