Zillow - Big potential, flawed strategy | Glassdoor.co.in

"Big potential, flawed strategy"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Terrific people, most of whom have backgrounds from some of the top area companies like MS, Expedia, and Amazon. Big industry ripe for change- real estate is a multi-billion dollar category stuck in the dark ages. Chance to work on a disruptive business. Good work-life balance for a start up. Interesting and challenging work- you will work on projects that are core to the company and to its vision.

Cons

Stingy stock grants- which is surprising given that this is what should be motivating employees. Liquidity event is many years away- plan on at least 3-4 years before your stock has value. Still struggling to drive revenue- advertising is an ok way to go, but the company needs more revenue streams. Limited career upside as it is a small company.

Advice to Management

Focus on ways to drive revenue. Develop products that professionals would be willing to pay for. Look for more than an IPO as a way to motivate employees.

Zillow2008-11-17
  1. "Challenging, but very rewarding."

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zillow

Pros

Benefits are solid. A ton of opportunity to own your career development. Fast-moving, so there’s always a new challenge or opportunity to take on. Leadership is very transparent about decision making and planning. Everybody that you work with is super friendly and very mission-driven.

Cons

Has gone through a few re-orgs and some shuffling, but I hope that once the dust settles, then everything will get back to normal. ZG is experience an interesting shift in product development and direction, so sometimes it feels like I’m a bit late to find out about an update, but that’s just the business of a fast moving tech company. I wish there was a cash bonus structure.

Advice to Management

Transparency is huge, so please continue that! I would also recommend continuing to invest in training and L&D in order to train and retain the awesome talent at the company.

Zillow2019-07-19

"Great place to work, improvements needed on comp side of things"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Centennial, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Benefits and perks were second to none - Travel regularly - ZG Week

Cons

-The majority of teammates did not understand how comp worked or how much $ they were going to make in a given quarter. In the time I worked there, the comp structure changed once per quarter - Little career growth opportunity - Unrealistic quotas set by individuals with very little to no experience setting a quota or participating in an IC sales role

Advice to Management

Hire an outside consulting company with experience in Sales enablement /quota planning

Zillow2019-07-15

Zillow Response

July 16, 2019Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It’s great to read you had a very positive experience and appreciated your benefits and travel. Regarding career growth opportunity, we now have in place a new performance management tool, which involves a dialogue between the ...

Discover more reviews about Zillow.