"This is THE sweat shop of all sales jobs. Prepare to question your life choices"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great CEO great workspace with more snacks and array of beverages than you could ever imagine. View from any floor is amazing.

Cons

It's really disappointing because i have a lot of friends that aren't in sales that work for Zillow and they can't stop talking about how much they love it. Zillows core values and direction and culture is absolutely amazing UNLESS you are on the sales floor. It is a shark eat shark environment where you can't trust anybody. Everyone is always trying to figure out ways to snake your deals, which results in a lot of bad blood and a pretty contentious relations with most of your coworkers. So if you like being a shady sales person in a turn-and-burn environment, this is a great job for you Training is the biggest joke imaginable and barely applies to what you are actually selling. All the managers focus on are daily activity metrics since they are under the impression the more dials you make the more business you will close, which isn't true. But if you don't hit your INSANE dial/activity metrics every day, then you will get a firm talking to. We are talking on average about 100 calls/day and another 150 talk minutes on top of it. You don't have time to strategically prospect and build relationships. I barely feel like i have time to take lunch. On top of that, it takes 70% of the team until the last day of the month to hit quota, so the stress literally never subsides. I stress like MAD when on vacation because you literally need every day possible to hit your goals. This is absolutely not how a job should be. I never felt able to breathe and cruise for just a day or two. The best part is that at any point in time you literally only have 3 month of job security. You are put on a PIP if you miss two month in a row (even by a minuscule amount) at that point you MUST hit 2 consecutive months to not get fired. I have seen so many talented people who just had a few bad months get let go. I have always wondered why Zillow Sales doesn't focus on developing existing talent. They much prefer to do hiring classes of 30 people every couple months and just see who can actually last. The turnover is absolutely mind blowing and i'd say the average tenure of an SE is 8-12 months. The product is hard to sell because so many agents have been burned by Zillow. What you do when you invest in Premier Agent is called GAMBLING. I didn't feel comfortable selling agents on a product that probably isn't going to make them money. It felt like i was stealing from good people.

Zillow Response

March 13, 2019SVP Premier Agent

I’m disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Zillow Group. As you note, sales can be high pressure – that is the nature of the role. The training we provide aims to alleviate some of the pressures by making sure our sales people are fully equipped for their day-to-day work. We do solicit feedback and make adjustments to our training and recruitment practices with an eye towards ever-improving. When you were employed with us I hope you provided feedback to help us in our efforts. We are never satisfied and are always changing and trying new things to be better, which is at the core of who we are, and what I love most about Zillow Group- if you would like to discuss live please reach out to me at susan@zillowgroup.com. Susan Daimler SVP, Premier Agent

1. COVID-19

"I Wish I Worked Here Sooner"

5.0

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Zillow is by far the best company I have ever worked for. Our technology and products are amazing, but the culture is what sets ZG apart. I've never seen an organization use their Core Values every single day. Zillow really cares about their employees which is shown through compensation/benefits, career development tools and conversations, DTO, etc.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Zillow Response

July 29, 2020VP, Recruiting

We wish you worked here sooner too! Keep it up, spread the good word, and refer your friends.

2. COVID-19

"Zillow 2.0 = big opportunities to lead big transformation"

4.0
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Limitless potential for those who are comfortable seizing opportunities. If you like to lean in rather than wait to be told what to do you'll love it here. -COVID response has been nothing short of phenomenal because our leaders know how to run a business while balancing people, profit and purpose. -Leaders are willing to change their minds, be wrong and stay open to new possibilities. Remote work is one example. Now that it's in our future indefinitely there's an excitement in the air about defining the new rules of work for ourselves and other companies who look to us for these trends. -Industry leader, household name, big growth trajectory means we will need future talent to bring enterprise operations experience, rigor and discipline.

Cons

-Complicated industries to learn as an outsider. -The amount of opportunities can feel overwhelming so it requires a lot of focus and prioritization. -Our culture is undergoing big transformation as offices take on a new role and most day to day connections will be virtual in the future. -There's a we/they disconnect between leadership and employees vs other places. As we grow, transform and share our successes I hope it will start to feel like "our company" whereby everyone is expected to act like leaders and lean in to change things rather than wait for someone with a bigger title to fix it.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Zillow.