Envato Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 5 April 2019

3.7
Collis Ta’eed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Remote first, meaning you can work from home whenever" (in 12 reviews)

• "They offer great support for staff and have a flexible work environment" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "For me personally, there are no cons" (in 4 reviews)

• "Insecure middle managers who don't care much about your development" (in 3 reviews)

"PHP Developer"

Current Employee - PHP Developer in Bengaluru
    Current Employee - PHP Developer in Bengaluru

I have been working at Envato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is Good to work with the team.
    good Support.

Cons

There is no cons with company and it's jobs

"Good"

I have been working at Envato part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freelancing company
    One has all the time in World
    Vast platform
    Shoecase/sell product

Cons

little support
    all on your own
    tough to sell or promote your item

3. "Great company and amazing people"

Current Employee - Reviewer
    Current Employee - Reviewer

I have been working at Envato full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Flexible hours: I can work any time in the day.
    * Great salary: Competitive salary

Cons

For me personally there are no cons

4. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Envato full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work in, very intersting

Cons

Not a lot comes to mind in terms of cons

"Truely, a great place to work"

Former Employee - Director of Paid Growth in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Director of Paid Growth in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Envato full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Envato is a unique company. The Founder/CEO really is on a mission to do good in the world, and that trickles down to every aspect of the company.

It's been a great experience working at Envato both from a cultural perspective and personal growth. Management (Collis Taeed, Ben Chan) were very supportive where needed and it's been overall a truly great ride.

If you get a chance, I highly recommend joining Envato as they are only getting started.

Cons

Processes tend to move slowly in some cases, which seems to be due to the rapid growth of the company in recent years.

"Great teams, terrible management"

I have been working at Envato full-time

Pros

Remote first, meaning you can work from home whenever

Cons

Genius culture
    Meeting fatigue
    Great until you have a problem, then it’s the worst place ever

Advice to Management

Stop being so deadpan and harsh when people present with problems. A “deal with it, it’s not our issue” attitude helps no one and means you lose quality staff members.

7. "Best company I have worked for"

Current Employee - Developer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Developer in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Envato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Talented people
    Trust employees
    Remote friendly
    Lot's of perks
    Great leadership
    Great values

Cons

Very hard to get a job. Recruitment process took a long time (This is getting much better)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Pretty neat place to work (I should know, I started it!)"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Envato full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Since I keep getting emails from Glassdoor telling me to review my company ... I thought I would! I don't know if that's allowed? Edge case I guess! :)

I started Envato (together with two other cofounders) back in 2006. It's much different now than it was then - there's five hundred staff now for one thing! The biggest 'pros' about working here today, are:

* We have a culture very focused on working flexibly and remotely. Assuming that's what you want, that's a big pro. On any given day, most people at Envato are not in the office.
    * We have a values-oriented culture, which means the values get used a lot in decision making, in big and small settings. We're obviously not perfect on this, but it is a focus for the business, and I think we do pretty well on it
    * We have a global team of smart, capable, nice and diverse people that you work with across the business and across countries.
    * We have lots of great teams, but particularly a very strong technical tech team and leadership - when I chat to technical people about jobs they join after Envato, this is something they often look back at fondly
    * We have a mission (helping our community earn a living) which is a nice purpose to work towards, and you can chat with people in the community and get a feel for impact

Obviously I work here because I started the company, so my opinion is a little biased! But overall when I read all the staff surveys we do through CultureAmp and Great Place to Work, it's overwhelmingly positive with the flexibility especially as a major standout reason why people like working here.

Cons

When new people get inducted at Envato, I often tell them it's not as awesome as they think during their honeymoon period having just got the job, ... but that it's better than they think on their last day when they're excited about something else. Which is to say, it's a good place to work, but it's also, you know, a regular workplace full of people, doing stuff. Some bits are great, some bits need work - and our job is to keep trying to improve things.

Like any business with five hundred staff, your mileage may vary - especially over time. The leadership team spends time investigating and improving things when we think something isn't working well, or someone has left dissatisfied about something.

In terms of general 'cons', I think a lot of flexibility comes with some cons - not everyone is always in the office and sometimes it's hard to have that in-person team feeling. Another is that there is no equity distributed (it's a bootstrapped business with no investors), and another is that we have open plan offices with lots of hotdesking (which I think we do a good job of, but isn't everyone's cup of tea).

Advice to Management

uhm ... keep it up! :-)

"The golden years are gone"

I worked at Envato full-time

Pros

Envato is a values first organisation which is very rare!
    Known for flexible work, its true! Work from home, flexible start and finish times without question and work from abroad. Work from abroad is a wonderful benefit!
    You have a yearly salary review and profit share opportunity.
    HQ is centrally located.
    The focus on inclusion is great, mental health, LGBTI and things like that.
    And for those fortunate enough to have at some time, worked closely with the founders, what genuine warm and caring people to work with.
    Envato still has a strong employer brand perception in the market.
    Core products continue to ensure Envato is profitable.

Cons

Envato uses it values to guide decision making to the point where adverse outcomes occur as a result of staying true to values.
    There is a continued push to empower Ben Chan who is ill-equipped with the people skills required to lead the organisation. He tries to improve but you spot the fake veneer a long way away. #plugintothematrix #belikewater
    The founders continue to move further away from the day to day which is ok, however the organisation continues to position itself to prospective employees that they are heavily involved.
    There is a focus on hiring women, the quality of late has been poor. Managers aren’t clear on how to make a decision between hiring to improve gender equality and the person that has the best skills and experience.
    Employees openly admit that its like an adult day care centre working at Envato.
    Sadly, flexible work is now too flexible, people work from home but don’t work. There is currently no way to measure this nor is there a sound way to hold people accountable. This includes empowering managers to reprimand.
    There is an acceptance of carrying dead weight instead of having the tough conversations and moving people on.
    Unfortunately, quality women continue to leave the organisation, the majority of which are from Ben Chan’s department. There is a willingness to keep others that are well below par.

Advice to Management

Envato still seems to be in conflict between the small start up it was and the big company it is today 350+ people (holding on to legacy people that no longer add value). Things have slipped. Perhaps a call to the pro consultants to take out the undesirables and avoid an internal conflict with values would be beneficial.

"Big hearted founders, C grade senior and middle management, glacial rate of product development"

Pros

Unlimited work from home. Nice office. Zero schedule pressure.

Cons

Envato has become an expensive crèche for its engineers and a recycling facility for average managers and ideas.